Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carguy1  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2021 17:00:02(UTC)
Carguy1

United States   
I have a MS2 controller, if I were to set up two completely independent tracks, each having their own power source, can they be controlled by just one MS station OR is there a way that I can use one power source and one MS to control the two tracks without having a track connecting them, can I bridge the power with wires from the track connections?
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2021 17:11:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Just my 2 cents worth, and educated advice, others may have a different idea.
I don't see why you want to do this. The MS2 track box has two controller recepticles. You can divied blocks the same way as with one controller, or a CS2 or CS3. A very large layout with several blocks may rquire a digital booster. However, the MS2 can run 5 sound Locomotives at once, not including car lighting, and signals or other contant power consuming accessories. You must be careful that track blocks of any type are well insulated when using more than one power supply, regardless of controller. Ambient temperature fluctuations make tracks expand and contract. This can and usually will often result in insulators moving and not insulating the block sections. That can be fatal to a modern controller, and or power supply. You must also only use a switched mode power supply with the MS2, and CS3's.
The CS 3's include a powerful booster, and their designated power packs have plenty of amperage to run everything. Only the largest of layout will require an additional booster.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline ktsolias  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2021 17:14:58(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Ηι

You can use one MS2 set and just connect the tracks in parallel.
The brown wire to two brown wires and the red the same. This way you can have as many independent section you like.

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2021 17:16:24(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Carguy1 Go to Quoted Post
I have a MS2 controller, if I were to set up two completely independent tracks, each having their own power source, can they be controlled by just one MS station OR is there a way that I can use one power source and one MS to control the two tracks without having a track connecting them, can I bridge the power with wires from the track connections?

This is very easy to do!
You have to use just ONE power and ONE MS2 controller.
Simply draw a brown and a red cable between the two tracks. Connecting them in parallel.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Carguy1  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2021 17:34:18(UTC)
Carguy1

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Ηι

The brown wire to two brown wires and the red the same. This way you can have as many independent section you like.

Costas

Can I get premade wires to bridge the tracks or do I just make them myself?

Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2021 18:04:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Ηι

Costas

You could make them yourself, but you may find the 74042 is an alternative to doing this.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Carguy1  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2021 19:13:41(UTC)
Carguy1

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Ηι

Costas

You could make them yourself, but you may find the 74042 is an alternative to doing this.

So if I have 2 sets of 74042 because 1 isn't long enough to cover the distance to bridge but I don't want to ruin 1 set by cutting and splicing can I use a piece of straight track to work as a connector for the 2 74042s? So it would be main track with a 74042 connecting to 1 piece of straight track and then the other 74042 coming off of it and connecting to the other, smaller track?
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 16 December 2021 07:30:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If the two tracks are connected by switch tracks, the power will be shared between the two tracks. If you decide to either divide the circuit using boosters, you can either power one track from the MS2 and the second via the booster and simply isolate between the tracks or you can use the MS2 to control the front of the layout (both tracks) and the booster to control the rear.
The advantage of using a booster would be in cases where you have multiple locomotives, ie in a station or yard or trains with multiple locomotives.

Regards

Mike C