Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mman  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2021 11:33:29(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I mentioned in ‘Show us your locomotivesF8F3FB2F-9306-45CA-BC05-3E0822BEC712.jpeg’ 2 days ago about the BR280 I had just bought that morning and its disappointing performance. I thought I would run it in on my Noch Tessin as my smaller Noch layout didn’t agree with it - it needed constant nudging and when it did go kept derailing.
Yesterday I tried it on another test board - an oval using 145mm curves with a simple turnout and a switching track in the straights. Whilst as with its brother the V80 the speed is lacking it did work ok around this flat circuit in both directions, but at anything lower than max speed the switching track will stop it.
This morning I got the Tessin out, the 280 won’t go around the inner circuit without derailing on the sharp curves and simply stopping at random - it doesn’t have the speed to carry it across dodgy bits. It crawls around the outer circuit in one direction but the rear bogie derails every time it encounters a curved turnout in the trailing direction.
Off came the body to have a look at why the bogies/trucks do not easily turn to find that they don’t have the traditional method of securing them with a pin. The wires coming out of the trucks are impeding their movement but when running it without the body it does manage both circuits with just the occasional hesitation.
This 280 along with its brother the V80 are both real turkeys and I was mad to buy another. Unless you have a dead flat layout with no points or circuit tracks you should avoid both unless you want it as a static exhibit because they do look good.

The red 103 (88545) which arrived from Germany the same morning is super which has made up for some of disappointment.
ChrisG
Offline Hatoil  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2021 18:52:43(UTC)
Hatoil

Sweden   
Sadly I have the exact same experience with my 88803. Stunning looker, but a terrible runner. Slow, derails easily, lacks pull. Cannot really use it on the tracks for much of anything, except standing still looking pretty. A wallflower!

I feel your pain.

Happy to hear about your other purchase! Always wanted one of those, but they seem to sell out terribly fast.
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2021 21:08:57(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Also loving my 88545! Too bad about the other…
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2021 21:52:36(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
I mentioned in ‘Show us your locomotives’ 2 days ago about the BR280 I had just bought that morning and its disappointing performance. I thought I would run it in on my Noch Tessin as my smaller Noch layout didn’t agree with it - it needed constant nudging and when it did go kept derailing.
Yesterday I tried it on another test board - an oval using 145mm curves with a simple turnout and a switching track in the straights. Whilst as with its brother the V80 the speed is lacking it did work ok around this flat circuit in both directions, but at anything lower than max speed the switching track will stop it.
This morning I got the Tessin out, the 280 won’t go around the inner circuit without derailing on the sharp curves and simply stopping at random - it doesn’t have the speed to carry it across dodgy bits. It crawls around the outer circuit in one direction but the rear bogie derails every time it encounters a curved turnout in the trailing direction.
Off came the body to have a look at why the bogies/trucks do not easily turn to find that they don’t have the traditional method of securing them with a pin. The wires coming out of the trucks are impeding their movement but when running it without the body it does manage both circuits with just the occasional hesitation.
This 280 along with its brother the V80 are both real turkeys and I was mad to buy another. Unless you have a dead flat layout with no points or circuit tracks you should avoid both unless you want it as a static exhibit because they do look good.

The red 103 (88545) which arrived from Germany the same morning is super which has made up for some of disappointment.
ChrisG

I received my 88804 on Monday, but have been less disappointed than you. For certain the maximum speed is unusually low for a Marklin loco, but not unrealistically so, I feel. The very slow speed running is still quite rough, though, so the much reduced gearing doesn't seem to be helping with that!

So far I've not had any derailing problems, but my layout has no curved points and nothing less than 220mm radius curves, so maybe that helps. The bogies are noticeably "stiff" though so I can imagine there might be problems on tighter radius curves. I was surprised how heavy the loco seemed when I first picked it up, but this must be an illusion owing to its small size as it only weighs 20.5g, as you reported with your 88803. I felt the haulage was fair though - It managed four (almost five) bogie coaches around my hilly layout which I thought was reasonable. The consist certainly didn't look out of place with the loco.

It seems I've been lucky on this occasion, though there is still time for problems to manifest themselves, of course!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2021 21:58:57(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
Off came the body to have a look at why the bogies/trucks do not easily turn to find that they don’t have the traditional method of securing them with a pin.

Has anyone here seen this kind of arrangement in any other Z scale locos? I think Arnold use a similar arrangement in N, but I've not seen it in our scale. I'm wondering if Marklin have bought in a third party design and, if so, whose?

Cheers

Chris

Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2021 03:32:53(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
It seems Marklin will try just about any chassis design these days, very interesting... I remember the Trainini review of the 88804 mentioned its low top end speed but I don't recall it being criticized for stopping or derailing. From experience that is not much fun though! I've wondered about curved points, they look cool and I would love to try them, but not if they are difficult for locos to traverse. Is this very unusual or do you have several loco's that have trouble with them? And how "prototypical" are they? Are they used much in reality?
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2021 03:36:22(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

It is surprising to hear disappointing news about this model. I thought it would be a better operating model by now.

Stiff bogies might be a sign it was not assembled correctly. My Br100/212 model are like that. When not assembled exactly, the bogies are stiff moving and do not pickup correctly or negotiate curves. Now before finishing up work on this model I check for this problem. Could this be a problem similar to what you are experiencing? Looking over the parts diagram it seems a new design was adopted.

Just a possibility. I don’t have experience with this model. A 103 is a fantastic model, even the older ones.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2021 19:17:03(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I also have one.

and it has the same problems. Perhaps I should lay out a minimum curved track. Bored
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 09 December 2021 20:55:10(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I can’t believe it’s me who’s relatively happy, for once!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2021 17:38:01(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Revisiting this subject, I've been running my for quite a while on my layout this afternoon and I have to say, I really like this model! I've had no problems with stalling or derailing and I even feel I was uncharitable about the slow speed running. If it wasn't for the fact that I already have the good one, I'd probably be thinking about buying another!

For sure, there's not much play on the bogies before they stop moving freely and I feel sure this is the cause of the derailing problems many are suffering. I also feel this is a design flaw rather than an assembly error. With mine running well I'm loathed to take the top off to see what it might be, though!

All the best

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2021 20:15:56(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

Has anyone here seen this kind of arrangement in any other Z scale locos? I think Arnold use a similar arrangement in N, but I've not seen it in our scale. I'm wondering if Marklin have bought in a third party design and, if so, whose?

Looking closely at the coupler, I see it is without the chamfer that characterises modern Marklin products. The coupler is actually very reminiscent of the Rokuham arrangement.

Do you think this might be a Rokuhan designed chassis? I don't have any proper Rokuhan locos to compare against.

Cheers

Chris