Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mountainroads  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2021 06:17:26(UTC)
mountainroads

Although I'm a fairly experienced (analog) HO Marklin operator, two areas are relatively new territory for me: catenary and landscaping. Hence, both border on the black arts, IMO. My layout is largely copied from their 1971 catalog, which I really liked. Marklin frustratingly provided a detailed track layout plan, but only a catenary parts list and no details on how to deploy said parts. So, I'm working my way through the final bits of the catenary puzzle thanks to guidance found here, in printed doc, and online.

Landscaping is a mostly new world to me and I realize techniques have evolved since I last paid attention, so I'm starting with tunnel portals. I considered the merits of DIY and there are excellent guides online (YouTube, etc.) However, I only need four, or potentially six, tunnel portals for my layout so the expenditure for decent tools to make my own foam portals doesn't seem to make sense. Therefore, I'm looking at either Faller 120565 or Faller 170831. I'd appreciate feedback on the realism and quality of those items, or if there are other providers (Noch, etc.) I should consider. I'm running double M-track, in standard config 5100 / 5200 curves, with catenary.

I'm also not opposed to using card stock over 1/4 inch plywood with facing strips to construct my own portals if that makes sense. Thanks in advance for the group input and opinions.

- MR

Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2021 06:54:32(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
You have been a member since:: 26/07/2021(UTC)
If you have the time build them yourself. From a dollar point of view your time is worth far more than bought portals.

You could in the meantime simply photograph a texture, print it and stick it on until you make something more detailed.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2021 14:56:38(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The Faller portals are excellent. They have been around sine the 1960 at least and would be exactly what Märklin would have used in their 1971 layout.

They are easy to weather too, paint them back with a diluted acrylic paint, and then wipe off the excess with a cloth.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2021 16:33:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The Noch portals and acoompanying retaing wall systems are excellent also. They are pre colored grey rigid foam that can be custom trimmed by you.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mountainroads  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2021 19:11:01(UTC)
mountainroads

Thanks for the input, gents. Greatly appreciated.

- MR
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mountainroads
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2021 19:30:05(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
The Faller 120565 is too narrow for M tracks. The Faller 170831 could work, if the portal is located on straight tracks. I would suggest a bit wider portals, such as the Noch 58052 or the Noch 58062.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline mountainroads  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2021 20:17:16(UTC)
mountainroads

Hi PeFu:

OK. That's really good to know. Thanks!

- MR