Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fifoooo  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2021 19:06:22(UTC)
fifoooo

France   
Hello,

Long story short i ended up with a box of marklin rails and stuff, a power supply that requires 110volt (WTF....) some wagons and so on
I know nothing about it, i'm 40, last time I played with an electric train i was 10.
At the bottom of the box there was a big heavier than the other red case with a gigantic locomotive in it that looked incredible.

It's written 3015 on the box and by googling it i now know this is called a 3015 crocodile. This one is green and looks like the pictures.

My main question is : how can i know if it is still working ?

There are a lot of sets of rails (most of them are brand new in their original boxes).
There is a power supply (but that's 110v i live in France i'm using 220v, plus it's so old i'm not really confident with that thing)
Also there are all needed cables and the special rail section to plug the power supply to the rails.

Can somebody help me ?
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2021 19:36:51(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
welcome, and congratulations on your acquisition of the most classic of all Märklin models - the famous 3015 croc! What a way to start!
It took me 55 to get one!

Now your croc may be gummed up from years of storage. Do not force the wheels or anything else to free them. The good news is that it can be cleaned up and it will likely run well.

Yes, you will need to get a 220V transformer but these are readily available in Europe, either new or on the second hand market or your local flea market. Get one with a plastic housing and you will be fine.

Servicing the croc will entail removing the cover, removing the motor brushes, removing the motor cover and and armature, cleaning all the gears etc. and applying a small amount of new lubricant. This an be a satisfying project in itself and you will get lots of help and directions here on how to do it.

If there is a second loco in the set it may be good to practice on that before you tackle the grand prize you have!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline fifoooo  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2021 21:15:02(UTC)
fifoooo

France   
Thanks DaleSchultz for your answer.

So to summarize

• The actual power supply i got is no good, your advice is to grab a new one somewhere (ebay, flea market .....)
  • There are a number of steps to go through before the loco can be properly tested, as you say "servicing"
  • Yes, there is a smaller / simpler loco and i should learn the servicing process on that one

Regarding the power supply is the marklin 6631 ok ?
Also i attached some pictures.
The 3015is still in its very antique box, i haven't even tried to put it out.

https://ibb.co/QrHN4sw

https://ibb.co/hfDcHCz

https://ibb.co/x2Fv64N

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fifoooo
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2021 22:10:11(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Fifoo
Welcome to the forum (a great one for Märklin fans really)
Another option is to locate a step-down transformer (220V to 110V) those can be found easily in France (were distributed by EDF at the conversion time around 1958 plus or minus a couple of years. You or your parents may have one at home.
Nice loco in original package (around 1952 approximately)
Don't try to rotate the wheels because of worm grear, better access the motor and check if it turns gently (use no brute force)
Mine was a wreck and was cleaned, painted, reconstructed and digitalized (I had nothing to lose unlike you and your beautifull CCS800)

cheers

Jean
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2021 23:34:34(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: fifoooo Go to Quoted Post
Regarding the power supply is the marklin 6631 ok ?

yes, that will work fine.

Lovely croc specimen!

Dale
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 25 October 2021 23:36:33(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I know you can't but I would not use that transformer. The insulation on the cables looks like it has come to the end of its life and it could be dangerous. It even looks dangerous!

Anyway, it is the wrong voltage so you can't use it so you are safe!

Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2021 00:07:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Anyway, it is the wrong voltage so you can't use it so you are safe!

"Can't use it" is open to interpretation!

In one interpretation, it most certainly is not safe, as the two-pin plug CAN be pushed into a 220V outlet. The Transformer is rated 120V and the voltage he has available is double that. So if he plugs it in, at best it will put out 32 V AC or (40 V for the reverse impulse) and fry any 16V trains connected to it.

Hopefully what you were trying to say is that the safety of the transformer is moot as it is the wrong type and wont be used.
Dale
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 26 October 2021 05:49:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The possibility of wire degradation inside if the external cord is showing signs of deterioration is pretty high. If the unit does not short out and possibly electrocute the operator, it may result in an output of 36V and almost 50VAC for the reverse pulse, which would be enough to severely damage any lok on the rails, either by burning out components or by launching the train from the rails at high speed.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Ranjit  
#9 Posted : 26 October 2021 06:39:55(UTC)
Ranjit

I would really be interested in reading about the "long story" on how you inherited a fabulous Märklin classic. The 3015 is precious and invaluable. Treasure it.

Cheerio !
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline Bryan  
#10 Posted : 26 October 2021 07:34:04(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Your CCS800 is a very valuable loco, worth 100's of euros. My suggestion would be is to get it serviced professionally. It can even be sent back to Marklin for servicing. Never send it anywhere in the original box though, it is fragile and very valuable in itself as well.

David
Offline Ranjit  
#11 Posted : 26 October 2021 08:57:50(UTC)
Ranjit

Currently, the CCS 3015 is selling at around Euro 1,200.00 (approx.) in original packaging ! What a beauty !

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline fifoooo  
#12 Posted : 26 October 2021 10:29:18(UTC)
fifoooo

France   
Hello,

First thanks everyone for your messages and willing to help.
I will try to answer all your questions and suggestions.

Regarding the long story short, i found the loco + everything else in a very old house.
It belonged to a very old woman living alone after her husband died, her house was in the neighborhood of my parents.
They were friend with her and supported her in her everyday life during her last year spent in the house. Then she went into a retirement home 3 years ago and died few months ago.
She had no family nearby. Her son and daughter lived quite far away and engaged a power struggle over the future of the house but decided to sell a few months ago.
2 weeks ago her daughter who was also a friend of my parents called because the house was going to be emptied by an antique merchant that they had to pay to empty it.

She told my parent they could go and visit the house to pick everything they were interested in, as she prefers to give those things to her mother's friend instead of an antique merchant. My father called me because he needed help to carry an heavy furniture. That's how i got in and found the box with all the Marklin stuff. I just asked if it was ok to take the box back home.

Regarding the power suplly my father has electric knowledge and background as engineer. I agree te power cord is in very bad shape and i read the sticky note about being careful with thoses. He told me a 110v to 220v could be easy to find, but the power supply does not require 110v, in fact it requires 125v.

Regarding sending it back to Marklin for servicing, any ideas how much it would cost ?

Anyway i will keep you posted in here aver the next weeks and month.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by fifoooo
Offline Ranjit  
#13 Posted : 26 October 2021 15:56:20(UTC)
Ranjit

What an incredible lucky fella you are, fifoooo !

Thank you for sharing your story.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 26 October 2021 21:34:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
[ The Transformer is rated 120V and the voltage he has available is double that. So if he plugs it in, at best it will put out 32 V AC or (40 V for the reverse impulse) and fry any 16V trains connected to it.

That would definitely be an "at best" outcome. However I would give it no more than a couple of minutes before the typical cooking transformer/motor smell is emitted which, if not dealt with promptly, would result in the emmission of smoke and various acrid smells.

Offline Johnvr  
#15 Posted : 27 October 2021 07:18:18(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Good morning

Your story is amazing.
The CCS800 Crocodile is the dream of every Märklin enthusiast.
As others have said before, it is a very, very valuable item especially together with the original box.
I would keep it in a very safe place.

Regards BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline grnwtrs  
#16 Posted : 05 November 2021 08:41:21(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: fifoooo Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

First thanks everyone for your messages and willing to help.
I will try to answer all your questions and suggestions.

Regarding the long story short, i found the loco + everything else in a very old house.
It belonged to a very old woman living alone after her husband died, her house was in the neighborhood of my parents.
They were friend with her and supported her in her everyday life during her last year spent in the house. Then she went into a retirement home 3 years ago and died few months ago.
She had no family nearby. Her son and daughter lived quite far away and engaged a power struggle over the future of the house but decided to sell a few months ago.
2 weeks ago her daughter who was also a friend of my parents called because the house was going to be emptied by an antique merchant that they had to pay to empty it.

She told my parent they could go and visit the house to pick everything they were interested in, as she prefers to give those things to her mother's friend instead of an antique merchant. My father called me because he needed help to carry an heavy furniture. That's how i got in and found the box with all the Marklin stuff. I just asked if it was ok to take the box back home.

Regarding the power suplly my father has electric knowledge and background as engineer. I agree te power cord is in very bad shape and i read the sticky note about being careful with thoses. He told me a 110v to 220v could be easy to find, but the power supply does not require 110v, in fact it requires 125v.

Regarding sending it back to Marklin for servicing, any ideas how much it would cost ?

Anyway i will keep you posted in here aver the next weeks and month.

Thank you for sharing your story of the 3015 Kroc. Beautiful! Please enjoy the machine and treasure it always, and pass it along to your family
heirs.
Regards, gene