Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carim  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2021 13:27:39(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I've seen the term "KLV" applied to (German) container trains and also to wood transporter trains. Is KLV a logistics software system, a rail operator , a specific rail route or something else?

Thanks for any help.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2021 13:43:38(UTC)
H0

KLV stands for Kombinierter Ladungsverkehr and simply means multimodal transportation: rail and street or rail and ship or street and ship or other combinations.

"Combined transport" in English:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_transport
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2021 14:16:57(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Not to be confused with KLVM, which means "Kleine Lok Von Märklin" BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2021 14:22:50(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
KLV stands for Kombinierter Ladungsverkehr and simply means multimodal transportation: rail and street or rail and ship or street and ship or other combinations.

Thanks Tom,
Carim
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2021 05:16:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
KLV (Kombinierte Ladungsverkehr) (Combined Load Traffic) is known in English as Intermodal Traffic, which refers to loads being transported by multiple methods without having to be transferred.
It is normally used in reference to traffic of containers, trailers and swap bodies which can be moved from one form of transit to another without the load having to be emptied and repacked, meaning that goods can go directly from ship to train, from train to truck or any such combination.
There are several different types of Kombinierte Verkehr. It can include what it described as UKV (Unbegleitete Kombinierte Verkehr) (Unaccompanied Intermodal Transport) and Begleitete Kombinierte Verkehr, which is more commonly known as Rollende Landstrasse (Rolling Highway) or ROLA. Hupac, which is a Swiss company whose name is an abbreviation of Huckepackverkehr (US Equivalent is Piggyback Train). In some places, ROLA has been interchangeably used with Hupac (as an abbreviation of Huckepackverkehr) to designate the transportation of trucks with an accompanying couchette or sleeper for the truck drivers.
This meant that a driver could load his truck on a train and arrive at his destination area and simply drive from the yard to the delivery address. Over time, this progressed to have the load transferred from boat or truck to train and then carried to it's destination area, from which it would then be transferred to truck for final delivery by local drivers. This new system did not require drivers and their machines to accompany the load, so it became known as unaccompanied load traffic. Companies like Hupac adapted and expanded from their original "piggyback" system to also include the new system of intermodal containers and truck trailers. Developments also permitted the introduction of swap bodies, which enabled the load of trucks to be easily transferred from truck to train without specifically being containers.
Today, this is probably the most significant form of global freight traffic by rail.

So KLV can describe any container train or train made up of any combination of containers, trailers or swap bodies.
UKV can describe any KLV where trailers and loads are transported without the truck
ROLA is used to describe a KLV where the truck and driver are transported along with the load (accompanied traffic)

I don't think that a train with a wood load would count as a KLV unless the load would be in special containers or swap container.
Some railways are now using modified container cars for transport of wood loads. I don't think that qualifies the train for designation as a KLV.
The wood still has to be unloaded and reloaded at yards and in ports and is not transported in the same container by truck or ship.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2021 11:28:20(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Very interesting Mike, but

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I don't think that a train with a wood load would count as a KLV unless the load would be in special containers or swap container.

https://www.gaugemasterr...nto/marklin-mn47067.html

If you see the description, it mentions KLV and transporting logs. I have to agree with you that loads of logs don't make much sense in a multi-modal context - I don't think it is a big deal, I now know what KLV means, but I've also seen pictures of the prototype log trains labelled as "KLV" which caused my confusion. Maybe just a case of incorrect labelling of pictures.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2021 11:37:48(UTC)
H0

The cars have the KLV label. They can carry containers, so the KLV label is correct for the cars.
I don't know if the logs and stanchions are transferred from train cars to trucks (KLV usage) or if only the logs are transferred (non-KLV usage).

"KLV cars" can be used for non-KLV jobs.
Non-KLV cars can be used for KLV jobs (putting containers on regular flat-bed cars).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2021 21:44:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
When I see a reference to a UKV or KLV train between Rotterdam and Italy, it usually denotes a unit train of cars loaded with container, trailers and swap bodies.
The fact that the cars are of a type normally used for such traffic would not technically make any other train with those cars a KLV.

The cars are technically Sgnss or similar that have been adapted for other uses and leased to companies for operation with timber and wood products.

A Nightjet coach in an OBB Express train does not automatically make that train a Nightjet, does it?

Regards

Mike C