Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rbturner  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2021 15:14:11(UTC)
rbturner

United States   
This is my first post here. I am looking for some guidance.

I have repaired HO scale primarily for 40 years and do repairs for eBay sellers. I was recently asked to fix some Marklin 3 rail.

Is there a site or good place for me to go to get some information on what to look for? I hate to spend a ton of time doing research because it adds considerably to the repair bill.

Thank you
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbturner
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2021 16:14:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
First of all, welcome Randy! As well as on this forum by members who have been servicing their own, and some others for decades, you will get plenty of info.
Being a seasoned ho scale expert yourself, the main differences are the schlafer, or slider shoe for the center rail studs, non isolated wheel axles, and they being the common ground
with the rails.
Youtube can be helpful too. Marklin of Sweden has many videos. He explains how to service the older motor brushes, clean the locos., etc. His english is very good.
Marklin.de has nearly every model's parts schematic, and which are still available.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2021 23:27:12(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
You may eventually find this document useful: Ersatz-Teilen Datenbank. Much of this can be found from the regular Märklin website as well.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2021 03:15:49(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
You're already in the right place, heaps of expertise here. But you can certainly save a heap of time by posting some pictures of what you have?

That would narrow things down quite a bit as there were various design changes through the years with some things you might need to know, and save you reinventing the wheel.

Welcome and regards

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Jay
Offline rbturner  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2021 14:03:28(UTC)
rbturner

United States   
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am a moderator on another model railroad forum and we try very hard there to keep a friendly environment.

I will look at the sites mentioned and will get some pictures of my 2 patients. I feel very comfortable with repair work but these 3 rail jobs are a bit of a dilemma.

Thanks again.
Offline tonyfh  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2021 16:48:49(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello rbturner, all,

I have a service manual 0734 in Dutch language (downloaded a long time ago from Märklin NL), unfortunately this file is to large to post overhere.

But I made a quick internet search and found this, a scan of the English language service manual 0733.
https://www.eserviceinfo...ownload.php?fileid=26896
Attention please, the file consists of 6 parts, see note on the website.
I don't know if the download contains weird stuff, but the site looks OK to me.
This is a very helpfull book if you like to know more of Märklin loks and their maintenance.

The official Märklin website says this: https://www.maerklin.de/...kte/details/article/0733

Succes, Tony.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 02 October 2021 17:47:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hi!

Do you know the model number of the models in question?

If not, you should post photos or links to photos here, so that we can identify them for you.

There are differences between older and newer models. The oldest had electro mechanical relays to change direction, the ones from the late 70s through 90s had electronic inversion mechanisms and the newest most often had digital decoders.

If we can figure out the model number, most likely, we can provide a list of spare parts.

Regards

Mike C