Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2021 08:40:04(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Does anyone know for sure how to isolate the tracks on a C track double slip. I'm using TraninController and I need to isolate the tracks so as to implement track occupancy. Do I cut all 4 track tabs, similar to a straight track where I cut both track tabs.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2021 10:21:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Seems I recall seeing an explanation with photos, but not sure where. Have you googled it?
Offline pederbc  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2021 10:36:21(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi Greg,

I also use TC and I don’t see the need for detection at switches. I use train lengths and set the lengths of each block. If a train doesn’t fit in a block, the route over the switch will not be released. I have never had any problem with this setup. I have used TC since version 5.
I use TC 9 gold. What version are you using?

Br, Peder
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2021 12:48:47(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,

I also use TC and I don’t see the need for detection at switches. I use train lengths and set the lengths of each block. If a train doesn’t fit in a block, the route over the switch will not be released. I have never had any problem with this setup. I have used TC since version 5.
I use TC 9 gold. What version are you using?

Br, Peder

Hi Peder, I'm using version 9 and I've been using TC for over 5 years now, however this is the first time I've used double slips. I guess I'll have to experiment with the little red tabs and see if this helps or sacrifice one double slip.

Regards
Greg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2021 13:36:24(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Greg
Rocrail user here. It is not so different from TC and does not need to perform such operations on switches and double slip.
Usually a simple detection just before the double slip and after is enough. Just a thought.
On my layout, there are many double slips, triple switches and regular switches. No need whatsoever
Here it is in operation

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline pederbc  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2021 15:23:43(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
On each block (usually tracks between 2 switches) i use 3 sensors, 1 on each trackpiece on the ends and 1 sensor on all the pieces between. So just as John describes, there’s a sensor on eack trackpiece connected to a switch (of any sort). I also make sure that I can detect each wheel on the train so I can detect lost cars. If you possibly run out of all luck there could be a small car lost right on the switch, but I have never been that unlucky😎(yet).

Peder

I use C-track and detect by isolating one of the rails. Checkout the ”diode trick” if you’re not familiar with it.
Offline Vaji2021  
#7 Posted : 19 September 2021 05:40:15(UTC)
Vaji2021

Sri Lanka   
Greg, I agree with Jean. If you are using a 24624, note that the mechanism is quite delicate and is easily damaged. It is best to avoid doing anything directly on the switch. Like Jean, I use contact track pieces on either side of switches when needed.

Vaji.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Vaji2021
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2021 02:13:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I think I have resolved the problem. I didn't touch the double slip - I added some short pieces viz. 24064's to each "leg" and I applied the red tabs to these short pieces, and so far it seems to be working.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards
Greg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline RedAggl  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2021 09:20:33(UTC)
RedAggl

United States   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
On each block (usually tracks between 2 switches) i use 3 sensors, 1 on each trackpiece on the ends and 1 sensor on all the pieces between. So just as John describes, there’s a sensor on eack trackpiece connected to a switch (of any sort). I also make sure that I can detect each wheel on the train so I can detect lost cars. If you possibly run out of all luck there could be a small car lost right on the switch, but I have never been that unlucky😎(yet). mcdvoice

Peder

I use C-track and detect by isolating one of the rails. Checkout the ”diode trick” if you’re not familiar with it.

If a train doesn’t fit in a block, the route over the switch will not be released. I have never had any problem with this setup. I have used TC since version 5.