Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline europromo  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2021 05:15:29(UTC)
europromo

United States   
I've added the following EMD F7 locos / units to my layout:

Marklin 26600: Western Pacific EMD F7 A-B-B Diesel Locomotives (from CZ set):
- the motorized trucks are jumping of track going into switches, checked traction tires, look OK, any thoughts on this phenomenon?

Marklin 29849: AT&SF EMD F7 "War Bonnet" A-B Diesel locomotive (came with American Premium Starter set):
- was hanging up on switches, had to replace missing traction tires, runs fine now, but very slow although I turned max speed to the highest setting, any thoughts on this phenomenon?

Marklin 33621: Amtrak EMD F7 A-A Diesel Locomotives:
- runs fine, no sound --> need to be upgraded, any suggestions?

Marklin 37500: NORTHLANDER EMD F7 Diesel Electric Locomotive with 3 cars:
- can't rave enough about this set, one of my most favorite trains, but need engine sound, any suggestions?
Offline klarinettmeister  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2021 23:07:59(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
What kind of track do you use? The F7's are a little bit wider than the European models.
I have lots of F7's and I've had none of those problems with switches.

The 29849 set could be a motor problem. I've have had that problem. The engines for very hot and the decoder burning hot.
I've noticed it was because of the magnet. I've changed the magnet in of of the motors because the motir got really dirty immediately.

33621- a mSD3 decoder and 2 HLA motors.

37500 already had sounds although basic.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2021 11:37:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Pardon my ignorance, but as your videos show the WP F7 ABB consist running without shells:

Does the derailing occur when the (heavy) shells are mounted?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline europromo  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2021 12:30:24(UTC)
europromo

United States   
Thanks for your observation. I just bought this train set, and the seller told me that everything he was selling was tested and runs fine. I bought this set as well as the GG1 and some freight cars, and everything is in nice condition as described. We are trying to figure out why this derailing is happening (it first occurred on the test run on my layout), and he suggested to take the bodies off to see if anything inside was maybe not allowing the trucks to turn enough. So far nobody has an explanation, and I will do some more testing to find the root cause for this behavior.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2021 16:29:27(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Noted. The trucks connected by the drawbar between the F7A and the middle F7B are affected, i.e. the first axle of the truck trailing the drawbar derails when hitting the frog of a curved 24672(?) turnout.

That looks for me (as owner of mulitple drawbar-connected F7s) as if a screw (art. 18 in first drawing) holding the drawbar (art. 16 in first drawing) was tightened without allowing enough play for the drawbar.
f7db-screw.png

The drawbar must not be jammed in the area of the screw threads when the screws are tightened (which can easily happen) - see second drawing.
schr-zyl-ans.png

So loosen the screws, and make sure that the drawbar has enough play (slack) when tightening the screws. This should solve the problem.

Edited by user 16 September 2021 18:19:43(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Offline europromo  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2021 00:28:28(UTC)
europromo

United States   
Hi Ak, thanks for all this info. I did check the drawbars, and they move freely. I think I will take the draw bar off and see what happens.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by europromo
Offline europromo  
#7 Posted : 16 September 2021 02:55:45(UTC)
europromo

United States   
FOUND IT !!!

Comparing the delinquent with my other F7s, I noticed that the driven axles had noticeable more lateral slack. Took the truck covers off, pushed on the wheels which moved them closer together with a click, put everything together again and "Voila", the CZ glides over tracks (& switches) silky smooth....

Thanks to all the folks that offered help. This is a great forum, and I've learned a lot just reading some of the threads. I'll be back with more learnings and updates on my layout and rolling stock.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by europromo