Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DaleSchultz  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2021 22:22:14(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I cant reply to the 'thread' called "Commonly asked questions / requested documents" so I created this post.

It appears you are trying to index the site at great effort. The index is the post.
To find anything one would have to (a) know that index exists (b) manage to find it in the thread.
Third, you are perhaps indexing posts that you think are important and that may not match what people are looking for...

Surely, the search function within the forum is a better way to go? If people don't search before asking something, they probably also wont look in your index.

Lastly, the site is already indexed on a regular basis by Google. Without having to read the actual index one can find things in the forum by adding the following to your Google search: site:www.marklin-users.net

For example: site:www.marklin-users.net laying k-track
shows all the threads on laying K track
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2021 09:32:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'm not trying to index the forum, just creating a list of commonly requested items.

For example, a common request is "I want a 6021 manual"

or " I want a manual for loco 1234"

or "I want the catalog for xxxx"

A case in point is the request for Marklin dealers in such and such location - quite a common request.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking to put there. A sticky post is about the best the forum software allows with current limitations, unless Juhan chooses to incorporate it elsewhere. The thread doesn't take away from the search function neither is it intended to.

There are some extra things there that various members have requested, perhaps you've got something to add.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2021 15:45:04(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I understand well that people want to find things. I also understand that it is not a full index.

You don't say why having a curated set of posts is somehow any better than someone doing a site search. That is the point.

I was just trying to save you effort.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2021 08:06:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
You don't say why having a curated set of posts is somehow any better than someone doing a site search. That is the point.

No, it isn't the point. People often come onto the forum and ask a question or questions that have been asked many times before. Now I know you might tell them to go and use the search function (Yes, I'm also guilty of that), but that may be bewildering to newbie folks. Getting the search terms right is the main challenge with using search functions, which can be intimidating.

I know to you with your expertise using the search function is probably quicker but that's not necessarily the case for others. In reality you aren't the target audience for that thread.

The effort has already been spent on my part - I confess to spending several nights with the search function finding some of the threads. In the case of some of the manuals, they have been uploaded more than once, so having a single link might save some disk space going forward.

Now of course I could go and delete the topic and go back to normal, but I'd far rather have you contribute something to it!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz