Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklinisten  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2021 21:10:30(UTC)
Marklinisten

Sweden   
Good evening!

As I am about to loose my virginity in digitalizing an old analogue locomotive 3072 I have some questions that I am sure would be answered here!
On the decoder 60976 I have managed to connect the motor connections (blue and green), the ground (brown) and the current (red) everything works fine but I am in doubt when it come to the light functions.

The front light goes to grey (marked LV on the card) ?
The rear light goes to yellow (marked LR on the card) ?
What about the orange ones, there are 4 pcs marked +UB on different spots on the card, do they have something to do with the light?

Also, I am thinking about connecting a small smoke generator, is this possible by means of using on e of the 4 AUX cables?

And finally which lamp and lamp holders (front and rear) is the best one to mount in my loco.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Roger
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2021 21:17:50(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Roger,

The orange wires are used if you change the light bulbs and fittings so they are not earthed through the chassis. If you do this you will only need two of the orange wires. If you choose to use the original bulbs and holders with the earthing through the chassis, you will not need any of the orange wires. In this scenario your headlights will have a flicker during operation, but some people are not bothered by that.

Cheers…..

Mike
Offline Marklinisten  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2021 21:45:53(UTC)
Marklinisten

Sweden   
Thanks Mike,

Makes sense.
Will try with the orange ones (who wants flickering..!?)

Brgds

Roger

Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2021 23:24:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Marklinisten Go to Quoted Post
Good evening!

As I am about to loose my virginity in digitalizing an old analogue locomotive 3072 I have some questions that I am sure would be answered here!
On the decoder 60976 I have managed to connect the motor connections (blue and green), the ground (brown) and the current (red) everything works fine but I am in doubt when it come to the light functions.

The front light goes to grey (marked LV on the card) ?
The rear light goes to yellow (marked LR on the card) ?
What about the orange ones, there are 4 pcs marked +UB on different spots on the card, do they have something to do with the light?

Also, I am thinking about connecting a small smoke generator, is this possible by means of using on e of the 4 AUX cables?

And finally which lamp and lamp holders (front and rear) is the best one to mount in my loco.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Roger

The four orange wires are the returns for the lamps and any other functions you may have fitted. But you won't have any others by the sound of it.

Does the loco have screw in bulbs or the little bulbs with two wires out one end that plug into a bulb holder? If the latter then one of the socket pins will be connected to chassis somehow. Disconnect that and connect it to an orange wire.

If it has the screw in bulb then you will probably want to get new sockets and bulbs. I believe the two pin sockets will sit in the old screw bulb holder quite nicely.

If you need to get new bulb sockets the Marklin part numbers for the 2 pin sockets are as follows: -
E604180 socket without wires (https://ajckids.com/prod..._sid=f7d6a48b2&_ss=r)
E276770 socket with wires (https://ajckids.com/prod..._sid=9db3a7597&_ss=r)

The leads on the second one are quite short and would need to be spliced into the wires from the decoder.

The bulbs you will need are E610080 for a packet of 10 bulbs for use in digital locos.

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2021 11:55:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
another option you have to have markerlights, when buying these bulb holders and using leds one wire can be fed through a hole of the bulb holder and the other 2 into the 2 pin connectors., use a 1k resisitor nd connect it to the orange wire.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline nhumps  
#6 Posted : 25 August 2021 14:17:56(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Hi,

I believe this is one of the more tricky conversions to undertake given some modifications are required to the metal body to fit the magnet.

Worth looking at this detailed conversion (not mine) perhaps for an overview of tips (some already provided by others in thread)

http://www.marklin.me/3072-Conversion.html

I’ve converted two of these, one being a 3147. I found I had to dremel/file/destroy out a portion of the lower magnet to get full articulation in the driven bogie. Otherwise I found it bound/couldn’t negotiate corners.
Offline rugauger  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2021 10:10:18(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
You are correct - they grey wire is for the front lights and the yellow for the rear.

If the loco has screw-in light bulbs, then the chassis is used for "ground". In that case, you MUST NOT use the orange wires, otherwise you'll most likely "fry" the decoder. Unless you convert the loco to insulated bulb holders as mentioned. The pictures in the link posted by "nhumps" above are very good.

Richard
Richard
Offline nhumps  
#8 Posted : 26 August 2021 10:45:42(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Once you put it all back together check the articulation of the powered bogie, maybe you will be ok and not need to do this step. I think you could alternatively trim some material from that but i choose the magnet as it is an easier part to replace should i make a total mess of it.

If you line up the old field coil magnet and the new fixed magnet you will see the obvious difference in width.

With the 3072 i recall badly using a dremel and making a relative mess of the magnet cutting out a groove.

I decided to take a look at my 3147... pictured below. I took a different approach with this one which i believe has resulted in a better outcome.

I carefully took the magnet apart, removing the plastic inset and the magnet. Then prying/lifting the sheets one by one (they can bend out of shape easily) i made cuts in the first 5 and re-assembled. Sure the rotor is not completely encased but it does not seem to have an impact on performance.

IMG_4398.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nhumps
Offline Marklinisten  
#9 Posted : 26 August 2021 12:39:38(UTC)
Marklinisten

Sweden   
Thanks for all the "tips & tricks" This forum is indeed a gold mine for knowledge!

Cheers

Roger
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2021 03:46:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: nhumps Go to Quoted Post

Nathan, I have a feeling that is Mike Housiaux's conversion, given he has a marklin.me email address. I have a feeling he converted a 3072 some time ago.
Offline nhumps  
#11 Posted : 27 August 2021 04:08:36(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nhumps Go to Quoted Post

Nathan, I have a feeling that is Mike Housiaux's conversion, given he has a marklin.me email address. I have a feeling he converted a 3072 some time ago.

I believe you! I am certainly not taking credit for the work :)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 27 August 2021 05:46:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I wasn't suggesting you were, the website address starting ringing bells for me. ThumpUp

At any rate, one for the 'Commonly asked questions / requested documents' thread.

Edited by user 27 August 2021 10:24:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified