Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2021 13:19:18(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The ICE is really nice in Z as a full length set but it is missing a bit in the middle. So decided to add the Bord Restaurant car. It's built out of 0.75 and 1.0mm styrene sheet, and polycarbonate bronze 1.0mm sheet, the thinnest I could find, for the glazing which I pre curved for the skylights, then cut to size. The end of the car I made up a concaved tool to the correct radius to cut, or effectively file by hand. That worked well as there was no real way to clamp it without damaging it.

The most difficult bit, actually rather more embarrassing than anything else, was sourcing the correct colour pink. Only a few square mm of pink was required. I just couldn't create this colour from standard paints. So off to the girls department to buy pink nail varnish. Didn't want to send off the other half as she would have bought every colour other than the one I needed. After checking under different light sources, the shop was kind enough to allow me to check the colours outside. I found the right colour.

The the new top section just clips on the bottom half like the original. Doors are in a different position but unless one looks really closely it's good enough visually, and the original top can go back on if need be. I have only done one Bord Restaurant as it was a lot of work.

63303crop.jpg

63062.jpg

IMG_63050.jpg

63050crop.jpg

46683.jpg
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2021 13:38:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well, I think you have done a convincing job for Z scale. Well done.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2021 15:04:07(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
excellent work!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Zme
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2021 18:45:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

I am going to say what everyone must be thinking:

The z scale group consists of a multitude of very knowledgeable and talented members, who are willing to share with anyone. I applaud you and our group.

Excellent outcome, thanks. I like it a lot. Another surprise.

Dwight
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2021 01:39:45(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Thank you for the comments. It is not actually that difficult to build a prototype out of styrene. Dichloroethane solvent using Windsor Newton series 7 number 0 or 1 brush, you need a brush made from sable tail, it's what I use and Swann and Morton 10A scalpel blades, box of a hundred are far cheaper per blade.

The white colour was simply a 150g aerosol car touch up paint, found a white close enough, sprayed in cool temperature to get the texture more or less right. I would have done the window frames scoring a line into the polycarbonate & rubbing kids acrylic paint into the surface, this works really well for window frames in buildings, but as it was such a fine line, I thought I could make more of a mess of it, so just left it. Better the model a bit under done than an over cooked mess.

First time I have posted a video, hopefully it works. ICE with 14 carriages including Bord Restaurant (2.5MB file 11 seconds)

ICE.mov (2,462kb) downloaded 149 time(s).

Screenshot from movie:
ICE.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2021 16:03:57(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I take my hat off to your continued fearlessness and great artistry! Top job!

All the best

Chris