Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline WHB  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2021 18:06:35(UTC)
WHB

United Kingdom   
Hello, I have a Central Station  60215 and have been running spur 1 locomotive 55138 Diesel-Schnelitriebwagen Deutsche Bundesbank (DB).

Fault - the sound has stopped working, the train still runs and the lights still function, so I deleted the train from my Central Station 60215, with the intention of reinstalling it, but the train was not recognised under the mfx protocol, and it also does not appear under the new locomotive - from the database list. It is also not recognised under the Manually search for mfx-Loco.

Request - Please can anyone please provide me with the necessary information to enter this locomotive using the ‘New Locomotive-Manual’ option.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2021 22:42:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: WHB Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I have a Central Station  60215 and have been running spur 1 locomotive 55138 Diesel-Schnelitriebwagen Deutsche Bundesbank (DB).

Fault - the sound has stopped working, the train still runs and the lights still function, so I deleted the train from my Central Station 60215, with the intention of reinstalling it, but the train was not recognised under the mfx protocol, and it also does not appear under the new locomotive - from the database list. It is also not recognised under the Manually search for mfx-Loco.

Request - Please can anyone please provide me with the necessary information to enter this locomotive using the ‘New Locomotive-Manual’ option.

As it is an mfx item it will not be in the database. Looking at the spare parts list and the age of the item I think the decoder is a very early mfx one and has probably died.

You don't list where you are, but i may be able to help.

Offline WHB  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2021 23:01:43(UTC)
WHB

United Kingdom   
I’m based in Cowes on the IW kiwiAlan.

Given that the train was running and the lights were OK, and the problem was just with the sound, is there no way of getting around the mfx and registering the train manually with the Central station?
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2021 09:42:53(UTC)
H0

[...] is there no way of getting around the mfx and registering the train manually with the Central station?
You can disable mfx in the CS2 and run the loco using its MM addresses.
mfx cannot be disabled in those older decoders, so you have to disable it in the controller to test other protocols.
Worth a try IMHO.

There is a chance that the loco will eventually register again after a while.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline WHB  
#5 Posted : 23 July 2021 11:27:01(UTC)
WHB

United Kingdom   
If the mfx decoder is dead, can anyone recommend another more reliable brand of decoder I could replace it with that’s powerful enough to run Gauge 1 trains. I know Marklin do decoder kits for HO scale, but these won’t be powerful enough for this much larger scale train.
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2021 12:11:14(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Anything for LGB should be alright, I would think...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2021 13:08:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
If the mfx decoder is dead, can anyone recommend another more reliable brand of decoder I could replace it with that’s powerful enough to run Gauge 1 trains. I know Marklin do decoder kits for HO scale, but these won’t be powerful enough for this much larger scale train.

The decoder was probably manufactured by ESU if it is not a Marklin manufactured one. ESU do a range of decoders for larger gauges, and probably have the required sound files.

If you cannot get it running with the cs2 in MM mode only then put some photos of the innards up here on the forum so others of us can check the decoder type.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2021 17:07:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
It happened to me a couple of times that an MFX decoder "loses" sound, either for a short period or for very long.
For the loco I liked a lot (BR 23 39230), sound disappearance was really bugging me, so I did a zillion decoder resets of the decoder and finally it worked.

When the sound disappears, on a loco the problem is of course in the decoder or the loudspeaker. So don't forget to check the LS.

Another issue is a registration loss that is best cured using another MFX unit (CS3, CS2, MS2) for a temporary new registration.
With my new CS3, the function "find lost MFX locos" helps a lot. When I was using a CS2 it was not so effective.

Cheers
Jean
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2021 19:15:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
With my new CS3, the function "find lost MFX locos" helps a lot. When I was using a CS2 it was not so effective.

Hehe.. I like that one. It's almost like a (sad, sarcastic) joke.
"We admit there is a bug in the in the system, but we can't fix it, so we have made new code to combat the old code."
Isn't a little like throwing in the towel?

Whenever AI takes over the world, we probably won't have to worry about humanity at all, as the rapidly self-improving AI-code will be busy combatting itself! LOL
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2021 19:41:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Well I don't know how to say it otherwise.
With the 60215 CS2, it happened to me a few times I had to grab my very very very old 60212 to register the loco before re registering on the 60215.
On the CS3, I was not forced to do this so far.
There is probably a "bug" in the protocol that is impossible to correct without changing the million MFX decoders already sold so there are only drive-around solutions.
One good way to minimise this happening on large layouts: register your loco on the programming track while the main track is disconnected and while the Ethernet plug on the CS3 is also disconnected.
Maybe also the latest CS2 software has improved a lot I dunno
Cheers
Jean
Offline pa-pauls  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2021 20:41:08(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hi,

Any photo's of the inside of the model ? Would be easier to "see" type of decoder or even the room for a new decoder if needed.

The LGB 55029 is used also in many of the Märklin 1:32 locomotive's but there is no soundfile for your exact model to download Blushing
The ESU Loksound 5 XL would maybe also be a choice but ESU don't have a soundfile for your exact model either,,,

Maybe try to send Märklin a e-mail about it ? Could be that they have a spare decoder with the correct soundfile on it.

But first try to register the loco with another MFX central, maybe a Mobile station, to see,,,
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 23 July 2021 21:31:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pa-pauls Go to Quoted Post

The ESU Loksound 5 XL would maybe also be a choice but ESU don't have a soundfile for your exact model either,,,

While they may not list the specific XL sound file i believe it should be possible to load a sound file from either a V5 or an earlier one, the Lokprogrammer software is able to convert earlier files to later format and also between V5 types.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline WHB  
#13 Posted : 23 July 2021 22:55:27(UTC)
WHB

United Kingdom   
Ok, managed to remove the loco from my Central Station 60215. Placed the loco on the program track and it automatically registered under mfx. It runs, with lights, but the sound still doesn’t work.

I’ve got a photo of the decoder, but can’t workout how to upload the picture, if anyone can tell me how to do this, it would be appreciated
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by WHB
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 24 July 2021 00:16:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Ok, managed to remove the loco from my Central Station 60215. Placed the loco on the program track and it automatically registered under mfx. It runs, with lights, but the sound still doesn’t work.

I’ve got a photo of the decoder, but can’t workout how to upload the picture, if anyone can tell me how to do this, it would be appreciated

To upload the picture use the paperclip icon in the edit window and follow the directions you get in the pop-up box.

However before you do anything drastic to the model do check to see if the speaker is still intact. The speakers used for the early mfx decoders had a nasty habit of going open circuit. Disconnect the speaker and check its resistance using an ohmmeter, it should measure either 100 ohms or it may be late enough to be an 8 ohm one.

If you don't have an ohmmeter you can do a quick check with a battery without harming anything. A quick connect/disconnect of a 9V battery across the speaker leads should produce a click noise from the speaker. A lower voltage battery could be used (will produce a softer sound) or a low voltage supply where you can get at the voltage connections could also be suitable. Just don't leave the speaker connected.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline WHB  
#15 Posted : 24 July 2021 09:25:29(UTC)
WHB

United Kingdom   
Just tried tapping the paper clip icon, and a box appears saying UPLOAD NEW FILE(S) but no instructions appear, the box is just blank. When to touch the box, it disappears. I wonder if the problem might be I’m using an iPad? Don’t have a computer

On the speaker issue, it says it’s 8ohms, just conducted the check, and it appears to be ok