Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoooctan  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2021 07:26:28(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Dear friends, some time ago...I followed the rabbit hole. Others discussed the pro and cons of analogue controllers and I confess that I never knew that there were such differences between the performances. I was hooked and wanted to understand the differences between them and how different transformers had different ways of dealing with power and voltage, thus affecting performance.

Despite it's high cost, I took the plunge and purchased the Model Q from Gaugemaster in the UK and they customised/limited it to 9 volts for our scale.

It arrived a couple of weeks ago and I spent a bit of time studying it, comparing it to Marklin and setting it up for my layout. The result is this review which I hope you find useful which I've uploaded to Youtube.

PLEASE VISIT -

https://youtu.be/ninjxUObS34

For those of you who are eager to find out what I think well...
obviously it's a very nice transformer in my opinion. Very solidly built and very heavy. Some people may laugh and say it belongs to the 60s and they're probably right - but to me I like it's classic look.

It works well powering all the locomotives I've tried and seems to need only to go up to between 30 - 50 to get power for most of them.
Running my locomotives have been good, but not without issues. Locomotives which have problems (dirty brushes, old motors) show these problems as well - it isn't magic.
But on decently behaving locomotives, you can achieve nice, smooth running. I think the key word for me in the review is less "slow speed" and more smooth.

I don't find the Marklin transformers that bad in slow speed. They just seem to jerk from zero to slow-moving..so that gives the impression that the locomotive stutters. The Model Q has the ability to be a little more smoother so the effect is nice. Another thing I noticed (and hard to document) is that my locomotives stall less on all of my Rokuhan turnouts. Again, maybe it's just coincidence but I'd like to think that it's due to more consistent power throughout that allows the locomotives to continue movement - instead of the traditional way of having to increase power whenever you go over a turnout.

I ran a 30 cm test on some of my locomotives and this is the result:

88692 Am 847 - 20.52 sec
88443 Re 460 (3 pole) - 9.66 sec
81419 4-6-0 - 17.50 sec
88290 - Gt 2x4/4 Mallet - 2,03.92 sec

As you can see, the Mallet really destroyed the field running over 2 mins! It probably could have gone even slower, had I more patience!

On the whole I hope you find this post and my Youtube review helpful! I'm certainly trying to be help all of our gang here!
Thanks and have a good weekend

Gavin

UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline Bahner  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2021 09:27:43(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Thanks for the review and I enjoyed the video.

Quite an obvious difference between this and the 'stuttery' Marklin transformer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahner
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2021 15:28:46(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post
Dear friends, some time ago...I followed the rabbit hole. Others discussed the pro and cons of analogue controllers and I confess that I never knew that there were such differences between the performances. I was hooked and wanted to understand the differences between them and how different transformers had different ways of dealing with power and voltage, thus affecting performance.

Hi Gavin,

Thanks very much for the review and the very nice video.

One of the differences between the Gaugemaster and Marklin controllers is that the Gaugemaster uses a potentiometer to set the output voltage so it is infinitely and smoothly variable. The Marklin, on the other hand, uses as series of resistors which are switched in and out of circuit, so the output voltages available are at a (fairly small) number of discrete levels. Which model is your Marklin transformer? I have one of the newer units with separate power supply and this gives quite poor slow speed control as a result of its output being quite pure DC which, perversely, is poor for slow speed control!

I too have gone down a different rabbit hole building my own clone of the Gaugemaster "P" controller for my own console. This gives considerably better slow speed control in comparison to the previous "pure DC" (based on the Marklin design but with infinitely variable output) controllers previously installed.

I have learned that this is a huge subject and sometimes an apparently less sophisticated design can give superior performance. The Gaugemaster circuit is extremely simple and elegant - somewhat reminiscent of 1960s/70s audio circuits!

Most importantly, though, I'm glad that you're happy with your purchase and that it is working well for you.

All the best

Chris
Offline zoooctan  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2021 17:53:10(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post

Hi Gavin,

Thanks very much for the review and the very nice video.

Which model is your Marklin transformer? I have one of the newer units with separate power supply and this gives quite poor slow speed control as a result of its output being quite pure DC which, perversely, is poor for slow speed control!

Chris

Hello Chris, thank you so much for your kind words. Like I said, I've been in this hobby for about 15+ years and have even used DCC but never knew about the types of other DC transformers available till last year! I have many Marklin controllers (including the Brown ones) but the one I tested with and the most common one I use are the white super heavy ones which attach directly to the power socket. They are labelled 67011. They were also in my first ever starter set so I'm very familiar with them and am quite fond of them. So it was when I was reading on our forums of all the "complaints" I was frankly quite surprised...then I discovered the Gaugemaster thread...and started watching reviews on it.

One thing I do have to say is that I did order my unit directly from Gaugemaster. They were very helpful with my questions prior to purchase but the item did take quite a few weeks to be ready...I don't blame them cause I suppose they did have to custom build it. The shipping was fast as it was through a courier (and expensive!)
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2021 21:32:57(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Quote:
One of the differences between the Gaugemaster and Marklin controllers is that the Gaugemaster uses a potentiometer to set the output voltage so it is infinitely and smoothly variable. The Marklin, on the other hand, uses as series of resistors which are switched in and out of circuit, so the output voltages available are at a (fairly small) number of discrete levels.

Chris

Hi Chris,

After reading this great review by zoooctan, it confirmed a hunch I had that Marklin might not be using a potentiometer in these late model Z scale transformers.

I'm not an electronics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a bit of experience successfully incorporating a potentiometer into a DIY LED lighting array project. Which lead me to wondering if a simple and inexpensive solution to the slow-speed smoothness issue might be to add a potentiometer in between the Marklin transformer power outputs and the leads to the track. Basically, set the Marklin transformer to say 50% (or whatever would be needed for a maximum locomotive speed) and then use the potentiometer to finely control the locomotive's speed.

Do you see any potential issues with this idea?

Thanks,

Ralph.
Offline Mman  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2021 23:57:40(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Any potentiometer would have to be able to handle up to 10 watts of power and would thus be wire wound rather than carbon track. Anything controlled with a carbon track pot is almost infinitely variable and would normally control a semiconductor (eg transistor) to handle the power. Wire wound pots will have steps, the thinner the wire the more steps.
Maybe arrange to switch a heavy duty resistor in and out to give a lower range of speeds from a controller.
Some analogue train controllers had a switch which reduced the power being output by sending out pulses rather than continuous dc. This gives good slow running but not all modern motors like pulsed dc.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 27 June 2021 00:28:40(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bahner Go to Quoted Post

I'm not an electronics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a bit of experience successfully incorporating a potentiometer into a DIY LED lighting array project. Which lead me to wondering if a simple and inexpensive solution to the slow-speed smoothness issue might be to add a potentiometer in between the Marklin transformer power outputs and the leads to the track. Basically, set the Marklin transformer to say 50% (or whatever would be needed for a maximum locomotive speed) and then use the potentiometer to finely control the locomotive's speed.

Do you see any potential issues with this idea?

Thanks,

Ralph.

Hi,

As the other Chris has commented, I'm afraid this isn't really going to work. Potentiometers are essentially voltage dividing devices and if you also need current it all goes to pot (haha!).

The way Marklin's controller is designed it gives forward and reverse control on clockwise/anticlockwise rotation of the dial. This then presents other limitations - such as the fine-ness of speed control, at least if you're trying to make the unit relatively economical to manufacture. The Gaugemaster controllers offer pretty precise speed control, but forward and reverse is set my a simple switch, and it is possible to instantaneously switch between full speed forward and full speed reverse - something you can't do with the Marklin controller.

It would certainly be possible to modify a Marklin controller to give fine control, but that would entail modifying the controller itself - I don't think it's something you could add externally, so it does become a somewhat destructive modification.

I'm very happy to share what I have learned on this subject, but if you want to do it yourself, you'll probably have to be comfortable using a soldering iron.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Bahner  
#8 Posted : 27 June 2021 01:14:07(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
Any potentiometer would have to be able to handle up to 10 watts of power and would thus be wire wound rather than carbon track. Anything controlled with a carbon track pot is almost infinitely variable and would normally control a semiconductor (eg transistor) to handle the power. Wire wound pots will have steps, the thinner the wire the more steps.
Maybe arrange to switch a heavy duty resistor in and out to give a lower range of speeds from a controller.
Some analogue train controllers had a switch which reduced the power being output by sending out pulses rather than continuous dc. This gives good slow running but not all modern motors like pulsed dc.
ChrisG

Hi ChrisG,

Thanks for the reply. My LED setup was PWM (‘Pulse Width Modulation’) so not continuous, which as you mentioned may not be well tolerated. The potentiometer I used in my LED array was a simple 10k ohm 1/2 watt linear taper potentiometer used with an Inventronics 26w driver (puts out 13-25v at 1050mA).

I can see where this wouldn't do...

Ralph.
Offline Bahner  
#9 Posted : 27 June 2021 01:42:51(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Quote:
Hi,

As the other Chris has commented, I'm afraid this isn't really going to work. Potentiometers are essentially voltage dividing devices and if you also need current it all goes to pot (haha!).

The way Marklin's controller is designed it gives forward and reverse control on clockwise/anticlockwise rotation of the dial. This then presents other limitations - such as the fine-ness of speed control, at least if you're trying to make the unit relatively economical to manufacture. The Gaugemaster controllers offer pretty precise speed control, but forward and reverse is set my a simple switch, and it is possible to instantaneously switch between full speed forward and full speed reverse - something you can't do with the Marklin controller.

It would certainly be possible to modify a Marklin controller to give fine control, but that would entail modifying the controller itself - I don't think it's something you could add externally, so it does become a somewhat destructive modification.

I'm very happy to share what I have learned on this subject, but if you want to do it yourself, you'll probably have to be comfortable using a soldering iron.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I'm learning a lot from both of you 'Chris' chaps ThumpUp

I have what I believe are two of the newer Marklin Z controllers (a wall wart plugs directly into the wall and I bought them new~3 years ago). My layout is Era1/Era2 steam only, so smooth slow speed operation would be particularly desirable.

From what I understand Gaugemater doesn't manufacture for the 110V USA, so that is not an option.

I have a micro-soldering iron that I have familiarity with (soldered all my track sections, other than the turnouts and a few electronic repairs to various circuit boards, too). I'd love to hear what you found necessary to make this work to see if it's something I'm comfortable tackling as a DIY.

Thanks,

Ralph.
Offline parakiet  
#10 Posted : 27 June 2021 11:36:37(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   

From what I understand Gaugemater doesn't manufacture for the 110V USA, so that is not an option.

You should be able to use a transformer/convertor. A few Z scale trains don't need 1000 watt per hour ;)

https://www.amazon.com/V...ada-Taiwan/dp/B06XSNM18H
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 27 June 2021 18:10:35(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi, Honestly, I know nothing about this but . . .

What kind of damage could you expect to encounter if an electronic controller designed for 230v, 50 cycles was plugged into an electrical socket delivering 120 v 60 cycles. (with a cord adapter)

Seems it is built to handle much more than this lower voltage could deliver.

Would the device not work?

I recently purchased a sign from the EU, and with it came a small cord transformer. Perhaps similar to the cords provided with the newer Marklin controllers. I was told the device was designed for the EU, but when it was plugged in, it worked, no problem.

I don't know but seems this Guagemaster controller would work also, but I am by no means an expert.

Dwight
Offline Mman  
#12 Posted : 27 June 2021 19:14:51(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Most of the power supply adaptors for mobile ‘phones, laptops, iPads etc are switch mode type and will work (usually but always check) on anything from 100 to 240 volts 50/60 hz (cps). The types of Märklin Z controllers with wall mounted ‘transformers’ are probably universal voltage.
Switch mode supplies are cheap but inefficient - consider how much heat is generated.
I strongly believe that the Gaugemaster power supplies (like the older Märklin analogue controllers) use conventional transformers with a given turns ratio between the primary (mains input) and the secondary (low voltage for rectifying and powering your trains) and thus if you feed them with 110v they will only output half their rated voltage output eg 5 or 6v max. You wouldn’t damage them in trying.
I also suspect that perhaps Gaugemaster doesn’t want to jump through the hoops of getting their products approved in the US.
Contacts on another forum who live in North America state that houses have both 110v and 220v supplies available. Perhaps they mean that is what can be derived from a 3 phase supply which normally is used for industrial premises. Here in the UK 230v is the normal single phase supply but from 3 phase you get 440v.
A simple step up transformer should be easy to get I would have thought, I had to go the other way and get a 230 to 110 one here to run some low voltage stuff.
A word of caution - I understand that North American domestic supplies are centre tapped to earth so the max shock to ground would be 55v, by making your own 230v you would be going outside that safety limit.
ChrisG
Offline Bahner  
#13 Posted : 27 June 2021 19:46:56(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post

You should be able to use a transformer/convertor. A few Z scale trains don't need 1000 watt per hour ;)

https://www.amazon.com/V...ada-Taiwan/dp/B06XSNM18H

But I like to occasionally run trains at hyper-sonic speeds ;)

All kidding aside, I had thought about this too, but the post I had read seemed to advise against it.

The only reasons that I can think of would be lack of Gaugemaster support and voltage converter conversion efficiencies of somewhere between 70-90% (not really an issue unless one runs many trains very frequently).

Ralph.
Offline Bahner  
#14 Posted : 27 June 2021 19:57:07(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
Most of the power supply adaptors for mobile ‘phones, laptops, iPads etc are switch mode type and will work (usually but always check) on anything from 100 to 240 volts 50/60 hz (cps). The types of Märklin Z controllers with wall mounted ‘transformers’ are probably universal voltage.
Switch mode supplies are cheap but inefficient - consider how much heat is generated.
I strongly believe that the Gaugemaster power supplies (like the older Märklin analogue controllers) use conventional transformers with a given turns ratio between the primary (mains input) and the secondary (low voltage for rectifying and powering your trains) and thus if you feed them with 110v they will only output half their rated voltage output eg 5 or 6v max. You wouldn’t damage them in trying.
I also suspect that perhaps Gaugemaster doesn’t want to jump through the hoops of getting their products approved in the US.
Contacts on another forum who live in North America state that houses have both 110v and 220v supplies available. Perhaps they mean that is what can be derived from a 3 phase supply which normally is used for industrial premises. Here in the UK 230v is the normal single phase supply but from 3 phase you get 440v.
A simple step up transformer should be easy to get I would have thought, I had to go the other way and get a 230 to 110 one here to run some low voltage stuff.
A word of caution - I understand that North American domestic supplies are centre tapped to earth so the max shock to ground would be 55v, by making your own 230v you would be going outside that safety limit.
ChrisG

The typical household here in the US uses 110v in the main structure, with 220v maybe being used in a laundry room for an electric dryer or in a garage for things like fast-charging an electrified vehicle.

Ralph.

Edited by user 28 June 2021 06:41:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mman  
#15 Posted : 27 June 2021 20:49:54(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
A further thought on using Gaugemaster controllers outside UK and Europe: they state that their products must be earthed. Surprising since Meccano Ltd did away with that necessity for their Hornby Dublo transformers and controllers 60 years ago by double insulating them.
Nevertheless GM must have a reason, I am unfamiliar with US style plugs and sockets - do they have provision for earthing? Grounding I think it is called in North America.
The UK standard plugs have three pins one of which is earth/ground and the European Schuko ones have two pins and two earth contacts. When I was in Taiwan I know that their 110v outlets which supposedly were similar to US ones had no provision for earthing.
ChrisG
Offline Zme  
#16 Posted : 27 June 2021 21:03:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi.

My dryer is gas with a 110 supply. I had a 220 plug just sitting there not being used, so I had it moved to supply a swimming pool motor.

Where there is a will, there is a way. The electricians know how to move this and make certain things are code compliant.

Could be something to consider.

Don’t know what kind of plugs are used on the Gaugemasters but you would need to plan for this. Make certain everything matches.

Take good care

Dwight. . This top one is ground on a circular pin. This is the standard for a while now. It has a NEMA standard, but I forget the code number.
| | Plus and minus here on blades.

Here is diagram.

UserPostedImage