Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2021 22:54:46(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hallo, my dearest Märklin friends,
I need your help. I wish to use again my old Märklin Kontaktgleis for a vintage layout. May I use these kontaktglaeis for managing turnouts and Signals alone or do I need to add to each turnouts or Signal the 7245 Universalfernschalter for each one. I can't remeber now the right way. Sorry
Best regards
Stefano Rocca
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2021 23:59:05(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
I need your help. I wish to use again my old Märklin Kontaktgleis for a vintage layout. May I use these kontaktglaeis for managing turnouts and Signals alone or do I need to add to each turnouts or Signal the 7245 Universalfernschalter for each one. I can't remeber now the right way. Sorry
Best regards
Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano, the contact track is most commonly used for activating items such as station lighting, track occupancy, and even the railway/road crossing.

If you use that track to drive something with a solenoid such as a turnout, signal etc, you may run into a problem if the train remains on the contact track for an extended period of time.

This can cause the magnet solenoid to become very hot quite quickly, and in some cases may actually burn out the coil. Those accessories only require momentary power to operate.

I'm not sure why this is not a problem for the grade-crossing, possibly the solenoid is specifically designed to withstand this.

Even using the universal relay you could still have the same issue.

The circuit track might be a better option because it is only active while the pickup shoe is passing over it, but it is also known that these can tend to stick sometimes, whereas the contact track is a very simple method with no moving parts.

If you don't already have them, I suggest perhaps downloading the older Signals manual 0340 and/or 0341, they have very clear diagrams and descriptions for different automated switching.

http://www.lctm.info/Secciones/Trenes/Biblioteca/Libros/index.php

I hope I have understood your question correctly and given a helpful answer.

Regards

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Rocca  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2021 11:31:53(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Thank you very much for your suggestions, dear Cookee. Yes, you 've understood my question and so, regarding to the the 0341 Signal Manual, I'll be able to use the Kontaktgleis for building a block system for some trains,
Best regards
Stefano

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Best regards
Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano, the contact track is most commonly used for activating items such as station lighting, track occupancy, and even the railway/road crossing.

If you use that track to drive something with a solenoid such as a turnout, signal etc, you may run into a problem if the train remains on the contact track for an extended period of time.

This can cause the magnet solenoid to become very hot quite quickly, and in some cases may actually burn out the coil. Those accessories only require momentary power to operate.

I'm not sure why this is not a problem for the grade-crossing, possibly the solenoid is specifically designed to withstand this.

Even using the universal relay you could still have the same issue.

The circuit track might be a better option because it is only active while the pickup shoe is passing over it, but it is also known that these can tend to stick sometimes, whereas the contact track is a very simple method with no moving parts.

If you don't already have them, I suggest perhaps downloading the older Signals manual 0340 and/or 0341, they have very clear diagrams and descriptions for different automated switching.

http://www.lctm.info/Secciones/Trenes/Biblioteca/Libros/index.php

I hope I have understood your question correctly and given a helpful answer.

Regards

Cookee
Offline Rocca  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2021 18:32:55(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Best regards
Stefano Rocca

For everybody who can be interested on the topic. I found the right trick on page 39 in the 0341 Märklin Signal Manual.
Great
Best regards
Stefano

Edited by moderator 15 June 2021 05:11:51(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quote tags

Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2021 19:24:23(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
On a vintage layout with analogue running, the solenoids will withstand even prolonged contacts.
It will be alright operating ANY device from those tracks, but you shouldn't let the trains actually PARK on top of one of those tracks, while activating a solenoid. (just in case)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa