Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2021 17:56:37(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hello friends. I was lucky to recently be able to find the reissued 1960s kit of The City Gate (B925) 109925 from 2019. I added some features to it like cobbled stones pavement, a shorter wall (the kit wall was too long for my chosen spot on the layout), stone wall around the borders with an old set of stairs, grass & ivy on the walls and a few other details.

Here are some photos. Peter. BigGrin

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 18 May 2021 12:11:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline perz  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2021 20:27:27(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Looks nice!

Me and my two brothers had this kit on our layout when we were kids, but one of my brothers got that one when we splitted up the material.

I see you have used the Faller cobblestone street foil. I have used that on my old layout http://www.persmodelrailroad.com but then I bought some more sheets and the new sheets had a pale green color, and didn't look good at all. So I had to choose other alternatives for some places on that layout. It looks, at least on your picture, as if these sheets are back to their good old color. So maybe I will try to buy some for my new layout.

Regards
Per
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by perz
Online Eurobahnfan  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2021 23:00:48(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I haven't been able to start building mine as yet -- I also purchased the re-issued B924 (109924). What type of adhesive did you use for the grass and ivy?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2021 23:11:55(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
I haven't been able to start building mine as yet -- I also purchased the re-issued B924 (109924). What type of adhesive did you use for the grass and ivy?

Hi. Just the Elmer's white glue applied with a small brush. I had the original B924 from the 60s. I still have some the buildings from it. Cheers! Peter. Cool

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Bogenschütze  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2021 11:49:16(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post

I see you have used the Faller cobblestone street foil. I have used that on my old layout http://www.persmodelrailroad.com but then I bought some more sheets and the new sheets had a pale green color, and didn't look good at all. So I had to choose other alternatives for some places on that layout. It looks, at least on your picture, as if these sheets are back to their good old color. So maybe I will try to buy some for my new layout.

I too bought some of the Faller cobblestones and was very disappointed with the green tint. Due to shortages caused by Covid restrictions I was unable to easily source any alternatives to complete my diorama currently under construction. So I reluctantly went ahead and used the green cobbles but afterwards gave them a couple of washes of dirty white spirit with various amounts of grey or reddish brown paint added. When dry I was very pleased with the effect. All the detail was still clearly visible through the wash but the colour tint had completely changed to something much more realistic.

Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2021 12:09:40(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bogenschütze Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post

I too bought some of the Faller cobblestones and was very disappointed with the green tint. Due to shortages caused by Covid restrictions I was unable to easily source any alternatives to complete my diorama currently under construction. So I reluctantly went ahead and used the green cobbles but afterwards gave them a couple of washes of dirty white spirit with various amounts of grey or reddish brown paint added. When dry I was very pleased with the effect. All the detail was still clearly visible through the wash but the colour tint had completely changed to something much more realistic.

Hello. Those Faller sheets I used were leftovers from about 10 years back and yes, they did have a faded greenish shade to them. It doesn't really

bother me as I have seen old cobbled stones with some moss or algae on them. Thanks for instructions to get rid of it. Cheers, Peter. Cool