Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2021 16:04:50(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
My layout is Marklin and I know the difference 3-rail and 2-rail

What I am interested in is the quality of the product is it the same for rolling stock since Trix has different rolling stocks than Marklin is it just a matter of changing the wheel set if it is the same quality?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2021 16:33:49(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, the items are offered in both brands in most cases, or a d.c. wheel set for the cars. I buy Roco cars and don't change the wheels. They run fine on C track. There is the occasional turnout derailment, but if it is persistent, an easy fix is to affix a this strip of .025"x.055" styrene to the inner/outer (depemding on left/right) frog of the turnout curve with plain white paper glue so it can be removed if desired. You can use .030x.060" and file it a bit thinner. That was the only size I found.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2021 17:07:40(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I bought a few Trix steamers in the past as they were cheaper. All I had to do was to buy the correct sliders to get them rolling on my C track layout. Job done.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2021 17:09:54(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
From a quality perspective the locos were like Marklin's
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline jerdenberg  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2021 09:07:57(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
In addition to mounting a slider, it may be/is necessary to change some wiring. In the conversion of a Trix Big Boy I did long ago, i had to change the wiring to the tender pcb, as the tender wheels on left and right were used for the pickup of either plus or minus, respectively. Fun fact: one pcb trace that had been interrupted quite rudely with a large-size drill at the factory had to be restored for the tender wheels at both sides to be connected to "brown", suggesting this pcb was designed for the Märklin version and adapted for the Trix one.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2021 15:35:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Trix and Märklin are designed and manufactured at the same place using the same components so the quality is identical

In both cases the wheel spacing and profile are the same but Trix wheels are insulated.
On many recent Trix / Märklin the decoders are the same.
On C track, switches are different (especially near the frog and frog connection)
On detection, 2 rails use 60882 detectors - measuring current from 10 mA - while 3 rails use 60881 with non-insulated axles.
But of course you know all this sorry
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2021 15:55:43(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Trix and Märklin are designed and manufactured at the same place using the same components so the quality is identical

In both cases the wheel spacing and profile are the same but Trix wheels are insulated.
On many recent Trix / Märklin the decoders are the same.
On C track, switches are different (especially near the frog and frog connection)
On detection, 2 rails use 60882 detectors - measuring current from 10 mA - while 3 rails use 60881 with non-insulated axles.
But of course you know all this sorry
Jean

Thanks for the detail answer most I knew but you hit what I was interested in which is quality and wheel spacing. Some time Trix cars will be available but the same model in Marklin will not. I am looking at expending my container car fleet right now and this is a big help.

I am unsure as to the wheel set i should get as standard replacement for rolling stock. I see MARKLIN 70058 Or MARKLIN 70056 or even http://www.esu.eu/produk...hoer/scheibenradsatz-ac/

Which is which?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2021 16:56:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
I am unsure as to the wheel set i should get as standard replacement for rolling stock. I see MARKLIN 70058 Or MARKLIN 70056 or even http://www.esu.eu/produk...hoer/scheibenradsatz-ac/

This is a difficult question for us in Europe as most dealers will exchange the set of wheels for free between Marklin and Trix;
This also means that Märklin has rationalized its wheels (same type in insulated or standard execution for 3 or may 4 diameter.
When hesitating, find a Märklin reference (e.g. 41310) go to the Marklin.de website and select Ersatzteilliste. Its gives you the axle reference for 2 rails or 3 rails for this wagon.
Sadly they don't give you the wheel diameter vs reference and wheels are special (Scheibenbremse, Wheels with diskbrakes)
Doing this a few times on the cars you have and you will notice only a reduced number of wheel references that you could order to yourself if there are no dealers around.

Cheers
Jean

Offline Puttputtmaru  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2021 16:58:27(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi

This is a difficult question for us in Europe as most dealers will exchange the set of wheels for free between Marklin and Trix;
This also means that Märklin has rationalized its wheels (same type in insulated or standard execution for 3 or may 4 diameter.
When hesitating, find a Märklin reference (e.g. 41310) go to the Marklin.de website and select Ersatzteilliste. Its gives you the axle reference for 2 rails or 3 rails for this wagon.
Sadly they don't give you the wheel diameter vs reference and wheels are special (Scheibenbremse, Wheels with diskbrakes)
Doing this a few times on the cars you have and you will notice only a reduced number of wheel references that you could order to yourself if there are no dealers around.

Cheers
Jean

Perfect thank you, I will also inquire if my dealer here will swap for me, I might get lucky.

I have read that some just use conductive paint with the Trix wheel or put a car with conductive wheel i.e. Marklin at the end of the convoy but this is not my first choice.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 10 May 2021 18:50:36(UTC)
H0

Which is which?
ESU wheelsets are for ESU cars.
Märklin wheelsets come in different sizes. When it comes to coaches, there are many different wheelsets used by Märklin. It's a bit simpler for freight cars.
In my experience Trix H0 cars run on Märklin C track without any problems. I don't use contact tracks and simply leave my Trix H0 cars untouched.
Trix Express is a different story: those wheels will not run on C track.

Some Märklin wheelsets have an RRP of €5. That makes €20 for a coach with two bogies. Keep that in mind before buying Trix Express rolling stock.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2021 00:57:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Which is which?

The Trix catalogues tell you the wheel set to use for Marklin and the Marklin catalogues tell you which wheel set to use for 2 rail Trix. If you ask your shop a tthe time of ordering they will change the wheels for you for free.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 17 May 2021 01:10:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Alle trois et' magnifique Jean!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 17 May 2021 11:19:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Thanks Mike
Jean
Offline JohnjeanB  
#14 Posted : 18 May 2021 01:42:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Kimball

On these old models the zamak cast makes only room for the original PCB on both locos and the very large motor.
I am sure I could make additional space by milling the frame but I have no milling machine and I hate to make non-reversible changes on my models.
So as you say "That's that" Sorry.BigGrin
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB