Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2021 14:39:02(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good day everyone. In the box of semaphores I bought at an auction there was one that although I cleaned and overhauled it still gave me problems when it came to lighting the red light.
The solenoid works perfectly, but the red light doesn't come on unless I press on the manual lever.

The principle is simple, there is a moving arm linked with the solenoid drawbar that closes either the green or the red light contact. I discovered that this arm didn't reach, for some obscure reason, the red light contact just by a millimiter.
The solenoid drawbar doesn't go any further than it does, I tried pushing it to see if it moved the extra millimeter but it doesn't.

I though of enlarging the contact area of the red light area. Impossible, the material doesn't accept any solder, it does however allow you to solder on the back of it.

After pondering a bit I thought to do it the oother way around.

I got a thin strip of copper, salvaged from an old coach lighting kit, and soldered the red light cable to it.
I then used some super glue to glue the strip to the front of the contact plate slightly under and to the left of the original contact so that the moving arm touched it when requesting the 'red' light position.

Reassembled everything and gaveit a go. It works !!!! The lights swtich perfectly now.

Below a photo, prior to my modifications, of the contact plate with in the center the moving arm, connected to the L socket of the transformer, and on either sides the contact areas where the green and red cables are connected to at the back.

Maarklin 7044.JPG

Cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Jay
Offline Jay  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2021 19:37:34(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi,
I have a few semaphores that might need similar attention.
Perhaps you might show a picture of the modification so as to
better understand the solution.
Thanks in advance
Jay
Offline Willem99  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2021 23:49:03(UTC)
Willem99

United States   
That would be very helpful for me as well, I have some signals that are having the same issue.
I am using the ones with issues in my shadow station, really don't care whether they light up there or not, but sometimes it is easier to track down if the lights are working.
Thanks
Tim