Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ricinport  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2021 18:00:05(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Hi

My modest table top layout has had an upgrade this morning by means of better under-board access for wiring.
I probably should have explored the wiring access part right at the start of the project but building a small model railroad was essentially a +lock-down+ project and I never realised I would get so drawn in to this new hobby of mine.

So today I have added 10cm batons to the existing 2cm ones so I can get easily at the wiring under the layout and start to add some serious electrics.

Having disconnected all 3 controllers, all the lights, turnouts etc. I thought I'd quickly run my solitary DCC loco around the layout for 10 minutes before I reinstalled the DC wiring.
I hooked up the Digikeijs DR5000 and had a mini-session.
I have to say even with my very old second hand DCC loco it ran smooth as butter. Far better than my brand new DC Marklin locos.

Did i mention I am working in Z Gauge? :-)

So the plan is to have both options available switching from DC to DCC depending on the locos I'm running.
I'm using the Marklin DC transformers for lighting and turnouts at the moment but I'll probably get dedicated transformers to power all of these elements in the future.

However for now when I rewire back in all of my accessories can I do any damage to the DC accessory system (lights, turnouts etc) when I have the DCC unit plugged in to the track?
Is there any 'cross-over' between the track power and accessories transformer even when the DC power dial is at zero?

Not sure if the above is very well explained but you might understand what I'm trying to get at and any advice would be gratefully received.

Rick

DC+DCC.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ricinport
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2021 18:41:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
We do what we do, can at a gievn time. It isn't set in stone uusually. A/C with Z scale though? Rectification can remedy most issues with motors or decoders, but isn't Z strictly dc, and dcc?
If I were to get any ho dc digital locos, I suppose I would ask also if I could wire in a system switch between AC 3 rail and DC 2 rail for after the CS3 control, as it operates also dcc.
Currently my Roco items are all dc analog and only run on a 4x8 ft oval. No turnouts or sidings. My Marklin C track bridges over it onto the same table from another accross a 44 inch bridge.