Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline IKAR  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2021 23:21:30(UTC)
IKAR

Canada   
Hello Everyone,

My name is Pavel, I currently live in Canada. After seeing large scale model trains I decided to abandon H0 and to move to Scale 1 or in the worst case 0. It is a very good idea some investigation to be made before buying for not wasting money and everything else....
I am not a "steam" fan so I would like a model of one of the mass produced and used German diesel locomotive - V160 or BR215/218.
So I see that the prices of brand new models of Marklin and KM1 are comparable. In the German e-bay this locomotive can be found second hand for a very good price, but not KM1 - they sell the KM-1 one even more expensive than the manufacturer price.....I know that KM-1 are Brass or Messing premium, limited quantity models but is it fair to pay so much money for KM-1? I am little bit more details-oriented - I like better reproduced cab interiors, opening doors etc. in which fields Marklin definitely looses.....But I also have heard that KM-1 and other Brass models are for mainly display and Marklin is for "driving" on the tracks...And that Messing is mainly for steam-lovers. I also already read on this forum that KM1 isn`t perfect too - there are technical problems with the motors, sounds, smoke generators, decoders etc........And at last, but not least, Marklin is still made in Germany and in Hungary, but KM-1 - in China, in spite of the very high prices of the latest one...

So what are the advantages and disadvantages of both kind of models?

Regards

Pavel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IKAR
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2021 00:09:07(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have one KM1 Steam loco (BR01) and I think it's an awesome model even though it is from KM1's Classic series. It is a big heavy loco and one thing I have found is that it is important to have really good power feed around the layout as the loco draws a large amount of current. If there is any voltage drop anywhere on the layout the loco will start drawing more current and that can lead to decoder failure....

KM1 Smoke generator parts need replacing every so often, but they aren't expensive and it is a reasonably easy process to do that yourself - see my blog on this at https://www.marklin-user...e-loco-Smoke-Unit-repair

Note the sound cutout from the loco in the video. This is the first sign of voltage drop and can be fixed by extra power feeder wires - in the case of that small carpetbahn, I need 4 power feeds minimum.

I also have a Marklin BR218 Diesel loco, it runs well and I have no issues with it. It's not too heavy and would be great as a first G1 loco.

Photo of it on our club G1 layout.

20201115122246_IMG_0280.JPG

A friend purchased this TEE liveried BR218 2nd hand from another friend. He has since had it upgraded with a Loksound decoder.

20201115092040_IMG_0227.JPG

Another shot of it pulling my TEE coaches

20201115101525_IMG_0265.JPG
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz