Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2021 03:20:37(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
The Marklin 86301 "Swiss Cement Works" hoppers (Portlandcementwerk, Vigier cement, Juracement) came empty, I imagine that is how they are shipped but I want cement loads in them! I looked at cement unloading from real trains and saw the expected light grey cement powder. I didn't find a view from the top. I don't know if they would have travelled uncovered but if they did does anyone have an idea for me? I guess something like real cement could be mixed and poured it, but never removed, so I want to try something others have had success with.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2021 04:33:02(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

I would not use the real type cement because this may not work and may not reversible.

Railex sold an assortment of z loads of various types and colors, perhaps you could find a set.

I don’t have a suggestion on where to get a set. I find, loads need to be kept lite and removable.

They were announced in Trainini but I cannot tell you the exact date. I did find this

https://www.ebay-kleinan...agen/1515375725-249-6972

Maybe there is a weathering kit like those made for military modelers which could be used on the sides

Let us know how it works for you.

Best wishes

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2021 15:32:21(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I doubt that these wagons are for the finished product - more likely the raw materials used in the production of cement such as limestone.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2021 16:51:43(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Agreed, I want to duplicate the light grey powder look, limestone maybe, not your typical gravel loads. And I wonder how they work these cars. Obviously once the cement is mixed it can’t be open to the elements, rain would be a disaster! A picture from above one of these cars would be great.
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2021 17:02:11(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
F1F0FD5E-A72F-4E16-BD8A-DEED646E5CE5.jpeg

At least the cars have an interesting interior. Although hard to see as it’s dark inside. Zme has a good idea, I could highlight the interior with grey paint airbrushed in or powders, and make a triangular strip cut into sections and laid either side of the central wedge and partition, sort of half full hoppers. Maybe never seen in real life but fun to look at and see how it works.
Zme
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2021 20:21:40(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. That would make a good project. I have this set also, but have not considered improving the appearances. On the Quartzwerke sets, (82374)wagons with the top cover, rotate open to show a load. The load is plastic of course, but are a light gray color. Some wagons have been lightly weathered at the factory too. The 81411 set is like this also.

Seems easily done, but I don’t have an airbrush yet.

Tamiya makes a number of different, brush on, weathering kits, there is likely one which would be fitting for the project. I think these materials might be reversible if you don’t like the look later on, but I am not sure about this.

Let us know how it is done.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2021 22:37:26(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I'll post something when it is done.
Zme
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 06 April 2021 06:20:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello again.

Have you ever used this stuff called “Smart Plastic”? It says it can be softened in hot water then molded into whatever shape you want. This seems like a useful characteristic and may be what you could used to mold or shape into a load insert. Of course, found on EBay.

Interesting at least. The factory load inserts seem weighted and very ridged, don’t know how they are fitted into the wagon. They are low into the wagon and seem to indicate the wagons are only slightly filled. Here is a photo of the two rotating roof wagons and the Wiebe Type Fc which has no roof. On coal loads, they are filled right to the brim. I would expect the cement type loads would ride lower in the cavity.

https://www.marklin-user...1-976F-25183ED52099.jpeg

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2021 14:21:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello again.

Have you ever used this stuff called “Smart Plastic”? It says it can be softened in hot water then molded into whatever shape you want. This seems like a useful characteristic and may be what you could used to mold or shape into a load insert. Of course, found on EBay.

Interesting at least. The factory load inserts seem weighted and very ridged, don’t know how they are fitted into the wagon. They are low into the wagon and seem to indicate the wagons are only slightly filled. Here is a photo of the two rotating roof wagons and the Wiebe Type Fc which has no roof. On coal loads, they are filled right to the brim. I would expect the cement type loads would ride lower in the cavity.

https://www.marklin-user...1-976F-25183ED52099.jpeg

Take good care.

Dwight

The height of the fill is determined by the density of the load, so the filled weight doesn't overload the wagon. So cement may well be a much heavier load than coal as it is a powder, so very little air space in it compared to lumpy coal. hence the coal load will be higher for the same weight in the wagon.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2021 17:56:30(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
It’s great to have a reason for doing what I want to do!
Offline Carim  
#11 Posted : 07 April 2021 17:34:20(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Swiss cement wagons 1.jpgSwiss cement wagons 2.jpg

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2021 18:18:54(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Wow, great example. For me, I like to at least see the logos, some side color etc.

If I had one this badly smeared on my layout, I would think it is unrealistic. Your photo, proves I would be wrong.

Amazing. Thank you.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#13 Posted : 10 April 2021 05:28:50(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
It looks like a cement mixer alright!
Offline Zme  
#14 Posted : 21 April 2021 06:33:18(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Hope all is well

I did locate a site with load inserts for the Marklin wagons. Perhaps they will have something in the lighter colors like this one. If not perfect, perhaps you could enhance with a bit of acrylic paint.

https://spur-z-ladegut.d...73-muschelkalk-fuer-8630

Check it out. (Mail time to the EU has improved recently.)

Best wishes

Dwight
Offline zoooctan  
#15 Posted : 04 May 2021 04:23:29(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hello there, I had this exact same question and thought a year ago.
Here's what I did.
Didn't find much information on the web (in English) so I just went with my gut and asked myself what cement type like loads may be.
please be kind with your comments :)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline husafreak  
#16 Posted : 04 May 2021 04:35:25(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Oh, that is great! It looks like cement and since that is what the cars say it looks good. How did you make it?
Offline zoooctan  
#17 Posted : 04 May 2021 05:32:05(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
It was some time back, I think I used Woodlands Scenic Foam Putty on a wooden plank, and added fine grain ballast...Then had to dry brush them a light colour to remove most of the grey
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zoooctan