Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2021 15:19:26(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
I am in the planning process of a new layout and will be using a two line helix for the first time with K-track.

What would you recommend for Marklin as:

1) Minimum radius (passenger cars)
2) Minimum height from one track to an other for clearance of catenary and support bed.
3) Maximum grade to use for good running which is influence by all above factors

I am using Scarm which ajusts to what I ask but I am not sure of the running quality I will get since as I am trying to use the less space possible of course. Going 2221- 2231 curve radius would be nice but if it is too tight I will go larger since I will use flex tracks.

Help please!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2021 15:50:38(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi PPM,
As far as radius goes R2 (2221) is compatible with everything for operation (maybe 1 or 2exceptions, Big Boy?). The K Track standard turnouts are R2 so that is a baseline unless you are going to use the slim turnouts. I believe in using the widest radius that will fit because the trains will look better. It also helps with intermixing brands with Marklin because of coupler and buffer differences.

Question 2 is well illustrated in the mArklin catalogs. There are plenty of downloadable ones on the web.

Grade depends on how long a train and what type of pullers the loks are. Anything over 3% starts looking less than prototypical unless your modelling specific mountain lines. If I remember correctly the steepest part of the Gotthard was between 2 and 3%.

Regards,
Roger
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2021 17:34:35(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Your problem is the the height needed to clear catenary after one helix rotation. The bigger the radius the better but then the helix starts using up a lot of space which is counter productive.

The solution appears to be to fix some sort of catenary wire to the underside of the helix so that the posts, which are obviously higher, aren't needed.
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2021 17:46:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I also began using Scarm, then Anyrail. I have had derailing issues with the Kombi-rail set 48046 on R2, and R1 tracks. R3 is no problem.
Unfortunatley, when you plan a layout around a 44 inch long bridge with K track on it, then transition to C, the clearances all get goofed up for tunnel portals, curves, and imagining catenrary too, because the tracks have different heights. Also the K to C transition track is not the same length as a standard long C track section. Much is now cut and try. Well, I'm not cutting any tracks. I used short tracks to make everything line up. The curve clearances are hwat they are. Some long cars barely clear each other on the tight curves exiting the bridge. I wanted a double level mountain tunnel there. instaed the route will bridge over the lower level on ramps. The inner and outer radii are different so pre made portals won't do.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#5 Posted : 29 March 2021 21:35:40(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thanks for the answers guys.

For catenary actually my helix will be hidden, or most of it, so I can just lower it after entrance in the tunnel.

Basically I am asking if clearance will be sufficient with R2 with as little of a grade as possible to make it easier on the locos.

And one more question in order to go down or up to a staging area below the main line how many helix, fulle circle do you usually use?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2021 21:40:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
I am in the planning process of a new layout and will be using a two line helix for the first time with K-track.

What would you recommend for Marklin as:

1) Minimum radius (passenger cars)
2) Minimum height from one track to an other for clearance of catenary and support bed.
3) Maximum grade to use for good running which is influence by all above factors

I am using Scarm which ajusts to what I ask but I am not sure of the running quality I will get since as I am trying to use the less space possible of course. Going 2221- 2231 curve radius would be nice but if it is too tight I will go larger since I will use flex tracks.

Help please!!!

Hi
1) minimum radius: for Märklin 360mm radius (R1 Märklin)
2) unless you use catenary power, I strongly advise you not to have a Catenay in an helix. The height should be 90mm and better 100mm for accessibility.
3) maximum grade is variable depending on the length and weight of your consist. I use 3%. This means that using R1, the grade is too steep so better use an oval or a larger radius.
Of course if you decide for no catenary in hidden placed, don't forget a catenary inclined transition (to push down the pantograph gently from the fully raised position to the catenary height.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2021 22:06:06(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
I got this from a thread in this forum and it makes a lot of sense (posting it here as a reminder to myself):

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Hi Baggio,

Just some of my thoughts on the subject

A) Re: My space does not really allow for any wider helix.
While most people conceive a helix to be made solely of curved track and of the same radii, consider the option of an oval with progressive curves or even insert straights in one dimension. Anything to allow reduced gradients.
- A related specification here is the height you need - i.e. do you use catenary?

B1) Allow for servicing, and good construction access
- if the track to track height distance does not allow for your hand to get hold of a derailed loco and do basic maneuvering you will be sorry,
- for getting your head and hand/arm up the middle of the helix, eliminate any bulky infrastructure - e.g. use metal rods instead of 4x2's
- getting track laid properly is well worth a bit of extra time, however designing for ease of access to do the work is just as important.

B2) Expect derailments - e.g. of the type caused by a 2nd train rear ending the fist and causing an accordion effect
- this may mean adding some side barrier for protection to prevent items testing their bounce coefficient as they fall to the ground.
- In lieu of B1 - accessibility - it may be worth making the barriers removable.

C) The Entry and Exit slope transitions should never be overlooked - reference the bridge approach diagrams in the Marklin Catalogs.
- Tip. for C-Track, you may make saw cuts across the roadbed from the underside (say 10 cuts per piece) , this will allow for a better curving rather than leaving the gradient change to a kink at the join of track pieces.
- ideally do not start the track curving until the locomotive has all wheels on the main gradient
- maintain a consistent gradient - hyper-elevation may creep in with construction and may assist with draw-bar effort but it has to be extremely well designed if you want max traction with all tires touching the rails.

D) Unlike a straight incline where you can get away with a stiff board and in-frequent pillars, (I believe) a curve/helix should be supported at least once per piece of track. In doing so you need smaller (thinner) supports and may benefit by using 6mm, 4.5mm or even 3mm base board which will better conform to gradient changes while curving.
- suggest cutting track baseboard out of a single sheet (as much as practical) to allow natural conforming of gradient changes.
- work with the board - not against it.
- suggest the width of the base board (where the track sits) be only marginally wider than the track itself (safety consideration of A2 not withstanding)

I also think this is the neatest way to do a helix with the little tabs in the wood to accommodate for the threaded rods although mine will be double track:

CD8D875C-289E-422B-AFF8-80D697E0EA77.jpeg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2021 22:31:56(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
if you have space, consider a big oval instead of a circle for a helix
I work on 10cm space between tracks as a minimum
I treat catenary as cosmetic and don't pretend there is any in hidden track areas (helix) (and in visible areas I only put the poles up no actual wires)
fixed curves such as 2221 and 2231 are better for a helix than flex
from the radius of the curve you can calculate the circumference of a circle and thus work out the minimum gradient to change 100mm in height

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2021 22:53:23(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
if you have space, consider a big oval instead of a circle for a helix
I work on 10cm space between tracks as a minimum
I treat catenary as cosmetic and don't pretend there is any in hidden track areas (helix) (and in visible areas I only put the poles up no actual wires)
fixed curves such as 2221 and 2231 are better for a helix than flex
from the radius of the curve you can calculate the circumference of a circle and thus work out the minimum gradient to change 100mm in height

Yes oval is what I wanted to use to have the train appear in and out of the mountain that will house the helix but that will be one level

2221??? Won’t they be a problem as being too tight for some passenger cars. If that is the case, I was actually planning on using 2231 and flex track for the outer ring since no intermediate radius exist between 2231 and 2241 (this I never understood).
Offline analogmike  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2021 02:58:00(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello,
Get some big cardboard, like from a refrigerator box.
Get a hot glue gun.
Get a utility knife (Real sharp).
Go to work and build a mock-up.
Get it running and take pictures for all of us Marklin wash women.
I guarantee that you will find all sorts of answers to your questions.
After making all of your adjustments, and you are happy with it, take it all apart then go ahead and build the real thing using all the
cardboard pieces as templates.
You may find out that a helix is not for you. Ya never know.

Have fun,
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2021 17:13:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
2221??? Won’t they be a problem as being too tight for some passenger cars.

I doubt it, why not try some out with your cars....

Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2021 17:32:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Most long Marklin cars are shorter than correct scale, at 1/100, so perhaps only the doppelstak commuter cars? At least for me on R1's which cut closely together. Roco cars are another story. Their long passenger cars are scale length, and auto haulers. Their freight wagons which are doubled and pivot at a center link are ok. I don't have any of their long sliding wall box cars, so I don't know.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2021 18:22:55(UTC)
H0

When building a new layout, I would go for a minimum radius of 400+ mm (2231 or larger).

My 303 mm coaches from Märklin came with a sheet that recommends a minimum radius of 400 mm when s-shaped curves are used. Several non-Märklin items also ask for 400+ mm.

And sometimes even Märklin models look better at 400+ mm. Several steamers work fine with installed piston protection rods even though the manual says 500+ mm for those.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline DaleSchultz  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2021 19:42:15(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
since we are talking about a helix, this track is not visible so, how it looks is not important. What is important is that the trains do not derail.

I have used 2221 and 2231 in hidden areas on my layout without problems. In visible areas, flex track of as large a radius as possible looks best.
Dale
Offline perz  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2021 20:37:32(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
Get a hot glue gun.
After making all of your adjustments, and you are happy with it, take it all apart then go ahead and build the real thing using all the

Have fun,
Mikey

Like I did, but I used cardboard + styrofoam:

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t2538-perz---A-compact-layout

https://www.marklin-users.net/upload/Community/Layoutpics/perz/mini2.jpg

Regards
Per
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by perz
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2021 23:37:27(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
Get a hot glue gun.

Have fun,
Mikey

I just thought that in the computer age a better answer was possible.

Anyway I got I good idea of what I am looking at when building a helix all the answers just confirmed it . thanks all
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#17 Posted : 30 March 2021 23:39:03(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
2221??? Won’t they be a problem as being too tight for some passenger cars.

I doubt it, why not try some out with your cars....

I just want to stay out of trouble but if you say so I will give it a try.
Offline perz  
#18 Posted : 31 March 2021 12:01:24(UTC)
perz

Sweden   

I just thought that in the computer age a better answer was possible.

The computer may, best case, tell you whether you have clearance or not. It can't tell you whether you are going to have derailments or not. It will not thell you whether you will have slipping or not. Practical tests are worth a lot. I wouldn't have dared building my layout without the mock-up test. I use 2221 on my real layout (the mock-up used M rails, as you can see). It works for the items I intend to run, but I also have a few items where it does not work. Those have to be "shelf items" or saved for another layout.

If I had more space, I would have avoided 2221 in the helixes and used R2 or wider.

Regards
Per

Offline Michael4  
#19 Posted : 31 March 2021 12:25:36(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I spent some time trying to work out a helix (with catenary) in the hope that it would save space. In the end, to make it reliable I realised that it had grown so much that it was no longer really saving space.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Crazy Harry  
#20 Posted : 31 March 2021 17:21:26(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Puttputtmaru,

How is your German? I found this link interesting and intend to give it a try (you may have to use a translation program):

Helix construction

At the bottom of the article is a link to a spreadsheet, it allows you to enter the radius of curve pieces you want to use, you also pick the type of track you want to use and if you want overhead wire clearance or not (adjusts layer height accordingly). Then it automatically calculates the trapezoid sizes for construction and gives the resulting slope in percentage. If you have to have a different height change then use multiples of the circle.

Constructing a sample out of cardboard and testing your rolling stock would definitely be useful.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#21 Posted : 01 April 2021 00:06:24(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Puttputtmaru,

How is your German? I found this link interesting and intend to give it a try (you may have to use a translation program):

Helix construction

At the bottom of the article is a link to a spreadsheet, it allows you to enter the radius of curve pieces you want to use, you also pick the type of track you want to use and if you want overhead wire clearance or not (adjusts layer height accordingly). Then it automatically calculates the trapezoid sizes for construction and gives the resulting slope in percentage. If you have to have a different height change then use multiples of the circle.

Constructing a sample out of cardboard and testing your rolling stock would definitely be useful.

Hope this helps,

Harold.

Very nice. vielen Dank, my German is very rusty but good enough to follow and supplement with Google. This is a very nice link.
Offline applor  
#22 Posted : 01 April 2021 01:03:39(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I did my helix in R4/R5 K track (2241/2251) and suitable for catenary - the grade is enough that the clearance of 95mm minimum lets e-loks have their pantographs up without touching the next helix.
You can of course reduce this to say 70mm and just run a thick wire underneath the next helix for the pantographs to contact.

My R3 helix has a clearance of 70mm I think but no E-loks on that one (branchline)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#23 Posted : 01 April 2021 01:14:58(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I did my helix in R4/R5 K track (2241/2251) and suitable for catenary - the grade is enough that the clearance of 95mm minimum lets e-loks have their pantographs up without touching the next helix.
You can of course reduce this to say 70mm and just run a thick wire underneath the next helix for the pantographs to contact.

My R3 helix has a clearance of 70mm I think but no E-loks on that one (branchline)

I was sure that it would with R4 and R5, now the question is do I want such a big helix?

How did you hide it may I ask?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#24 Posted : 01 April 2021 13:29:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

I was sure that it would with R4 and R5, now the question is do I want such a big helix?

How did you hide it may I ask?

I'm sure you need a big mountain somewhere with a ski resort for winter or climbers for summer ... and a tunnel going into the side of it. BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan