Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Flügelmutter  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2021 17:00:24(UTC)
Flügelmutter

United States   
Hello all,

I have for some time now been very interested in 3 rail Hornby Dublo, and was wondering how feasible it is to run them on Marklin? HD is 12 volt dc, and I've heard conflicting stories about running them on Marklin. Some say they run fine, but the contact spoons make a racket on the studs, and some say the nearly explode. So, any ideas comments or opinions are wanted.

Douglas
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2021 02:34:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Douglas,

I own plenty of Hornby Dublo 3 rail so I know what I am talking about.

HD was designed from 1938 with DC analogue electric motors so they will definitely not run with Märklin analogue AC current controllers.
This is separate from the trackage and pick-up issue.

In my opinion if you wanted to run the HD with Märklin controllers and track you would need to:
1. install digital decoders and use the digital Märklin controller (or DCC decoders and DCC controller)
2. and to obviate changing the pick-ups of the HD use HD track or the old Märklin solid 3rd rail M.track
or
3. Somehow install an electronic reverser in the HD for use with AC controller and change the pick-ups to the Märklin slider type - this has been done here on this forum but in my opinion is a step too far.

That does not cover the possible problems you might have with wheel/track profile compatibility on switches and crossovers.

In short buy some old Hornby Dublo tinplate track and an old H&M or Hornby analogue DC controller and enjoy the HD as it was intended.
They were extremely well made.
I have purchesed 70 year old examples that run the day I unpack them with no problems.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Flügelmutter  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2021 03:35:33(UTC)
Flügelmutter

United States   
Thank you Kimball, I’ll keep that in mind.
Offline nmbssncb  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2021 18:05:04(UTC)
nmbssncb

If I am correct, Hornby Dublo is 00 gauge or scale 1:76 as opposed to (Märklin) H0 gauge or scale 1:87. The Hornby Dublo locomotives look therefore "oversized" when running next to Märklin locomotives.

A simple way of running Hornby Dublo locomotives on 3-rail is to feed them from a (freight or passenger) car with the slider underneath and wire to the locomotive.
You will have to do some rewiring inside the HB locomotive or, if you are handy, build in a switch the allows you to run it either on 2- or 3-rail.

Willy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2021 20:01:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nmbssncb Go to Quoted Post
If I am correct, Hornby Dublo is 00 gauge or scale 1:76 as opposed to (Märklin) H0 gauge or scale 1:87. The Hornby Dublo locomotives look therefore "oversized" when running next to Märklin locomotives.

A simple way of running Hornby Dublo locomotives on 3-rail is to feed them from a (freight or passenger) car with the slider underneath and wire to the locomotive.
You will have to do some rewiring inside the HB locomotive or, if you are handy, build in a switch the allows you to run it either on 2- or 3-rail.

Willy

Technically Hornby Dublo is three rail DC, the two rail version is known as just Hornby.

But you are correct about sizes, the Hornby OO is about 12% linear oversize for a given wagon compared to H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan