Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rbw993  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2021 19:58:58(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I just received a Roco wagon that will add some variety to my intermodal trains. It is the AAE version with Rinnen tank containers. I am always looking for cars with tank containers to break up the parade of boxes. It required some installation of detail parts parts otherwise it would look unfinished and simple.

I have done the same type of work on other Roco models as well as KombiModell, ACME and a couple others but this was the worst and least enjoyable. Most of the parts didn't fit as the holes into which handrails and other fittings were to be inserted were all too small. They had to be drilled out. Some were inaccessible so I cut off the mounting pins on the parts and just super-glued them on. They supplied pivot pins for the loading points on the car sides but they don't fit either. I am hoping I can glue on some leftover pins from the KombiModell cars instead.

It is a decent looking car and the containers have holes at the corners as well as the ROCO slot at each end so they could be mounted on other brands.
However I won't buy another and will be leery of other Roco new models for Kombiverkehr.

Makes me appreciate that the Marklin models come complete!

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2021 21:44:08(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I purchased two similar cars and found them extremely difficult to work with. I do not plan to buy any more of these.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2021 14:43:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I had bought the T-2 with Crossrail containers and the AAE one with the Rinnen containers (4). I have not yet added any of the add-on parts not mounted the containers with the horrible design which lifts the containers in order to hold the container in place with those pins.

I was thinking of using the Rinnen car with trailers, but I have to figure out if AWM, Herpa, etc trailers can be used or whether Roco has an in-house solution that means that only Roco trailers can be used too.

In the interim the containers can be used with Roco Sgns 60 cars which have the little studs built in to the car body and do not require that crossbeam that is visually irritating.
So my Cargo Domino and Crossrail cars can now also be used with an international KLV with Bertschi and Rinnen loads ;)

Compared to this, my Rocky-Rail "Twin" and Piko T-3000 have been relatively easy to use and look the same as other brands.
Now if only the sockets/pins were adjustable so that any container could be used with any car of the same fixation design.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rbw993  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2021 15:25:22(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Mike,
An aside to the topic. As I mentioned above I am always on the lookout for tank containers to add variety. I was ordering something from Walthers the other day an they had a sale on and in that list they had some european 20 foot tanks, I bought a Hoyer one but there were a couple others. Thought you might be interested.

Regards,
Roger
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2021 18:22:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just ordered 40' and 20' UASC containers (Kombimodell). I have a pair of 47106 SBB Cargo Sgns without containers. I am going to be moving some loads around and can probably put the UASC load on one of my other Maerklin Sgns cars using the PT Trains adapters for the 40' Container. The 20' and 23' (tank/swap) ones are easy using the 084192 Adapter from Herpa. I have some Herpa 40ft Bertschi tank containers which I have used with a pair of the Herpa adapters because the frame of the container does not interfere with the unused pins in the middle.

At this point, I can model a long enough consist of Ferrymasters, Samskip/Geest, Crossrail/Ewals, Vos/VAT and mixed consist (Hupac Shuttle) and supplement each consist with containers from Maersk, MSC, Bertschi, Hoyer, Rinnen, Giesendanner, Ge-Ex, den Hartogh, VandenBosch, ECS, Eucon, Verscheure, Bell, Capital, and trailers from Mainsped, Walter, Arcese, etc

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c