Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2021 08:01:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Well the good old days are gone when locos consisted of metal, these days a lot of the add ons are plastic., and over the years the amountmof metal in a loco has also drastically been reduced., its all about the authentic look these days., pantographs are no longer connected, bogies are made of plastic, housing are made of plastic and the chassis or frame's metal content ihas also been drastically reduced.
designers today have all the tools to make it a good model but they fail miserable., some models are just great and others are dissapointing as you look for a metal part in the loco.
We may have the greatest computer operators, cad operators etc etc. but it seems to me engineers and designers don't seem to share the basics or they are deliberately reducing the weight of a loco, its not only the reduction of weight but also the capability to balance the weight with traction force., less rubber tyres are applied,
I would like to see the whole design team to get together and design a frame and housing in the simplest form, this would mean we could have models come in a form of a kit and you can choose all your add ons., when you look at the models today there is no frame the same and this must cost an anormous amount of money to produce, even with the prototype locos they've produces frames whcih are interlinked with different class locos, saing millions of dollars, why they haven't followed that pass is a mystery to me.
Buying locos to day, especially with Märklin you no longer have an option to buy a particular loco with out sound, although the prices are attractive we don't have a choice anymore.
I've roughly worked out most locos could have an additional weight of 200g minimum, where as the frame metal content is reduced day by day.
Models are no longer produced for its pulling power but rather for its looks and popularity., every Dick & Harry is producin g BR 85, BR 95 locos and I would like to know what polls are undertaken to show there is such a high demand for this loco.
I'm not going to mention the Swiss corocdile or the German Crocodile and eventually Märklin bought out the Austrian Crocodile (100 points)
We are slowly driven into an era wheras the motors get smaller, the weight is reduced, more plastic parts are applied and the day may come where it is a possibility you buy a Lego loco insted of buying one from a traditional model train manufacturer.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline vmsysprog  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2021 09:12:07(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
River6109, it always boils down to money - cost savings, profit margins, etc. While most of us like the heft and weight of metal, plastic allows better detail during the molding process. Beyond that, separately applied details will make the model look great. However separately applied details are labor intensive and thus cost money. And plastic is cheaper. Marklin, as well as some other model train manufacturers produces both entry level as well as high end items. Therefore lack of detail, more plastic and inexpensive electronics are the norm on the entry level items. I buy at both ends of the spectrum, it just depends what catches my eye.

Steve
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by vmsysprog
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2021 09:41:28(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
But a Lego ho scale? Nah. Not for us aficionados. Now I've seen some nice renditions, but they don't look real.
My son in law is a web developer and asked me if I'd want a total virtual layout, with lifelike trains with cab driver functions, and full interior and exterior 360 degree views. He said I could then sell my collection.
I told him there is no substitute for holding a tangible model. The technology and designs done with computers and virtual reality are used to produce real items.
As plastic offers sharper detail easier, at lower cost , it can be too delicate to handle often.
Marklin has been committed to crafting most locomotives primary of metal. The weight and heft seems value added as a modler and collector.
The Vectorons are nice, but only the sides and partial roof are metal. The electrical roof wires are plastic and look cut rate. These are entry level models though, at budget prices. But, they have plenty of sounds. Hence the dimmer led lights without high beams. Much lighter too. Now the Re 420, 421, and 620 are as heavy as classic Marklin die cast models are.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2021 12:15:09(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I hesitate. Yet I suppose I will go ahead and shove my oar in water...Caveat: I have analogue KLVM, Sarrasani Zirkuswelt, Beer Cars, M-track...(I suffer from "Attention-to-Detail Deficit Syndrome")

I think we as modellers and collectors and fans may have to accept some (not all) responsibility. There are many (not me by the way) who relish in exact 1:87 scaling. I know of some who will buy a model, then grind or scrape a number of items off and replace them with exact 1:87 parts, either purchased from a supplier of said parts, or scratch-build parts from raw stock, then repaint...etc...etc...not knocking this at all. It is impressive and Waaaaay beyond my talent or skill. "Back in the day" I believe it was called "Super Detailing" and there may even be some books and manuals available on "How To...". If a model does not come factory-weathered, some will weather it, unless the pre-weathered does not really meet their expectations, then they might weather the weathering. Again, not knocking this, just stating a fact.

So, in response to demands for higher detail and exact scale, Mother M (as well as others) have done what other manufacturers the world over will do: try to make the majority of the customer-base as happy as possible, knowing in their hearts that they will still not please every body every time. And I repeat, I can still admire and wonder at the finely crafted detailed products, I might even Drool. I am just happy being a Märklinst. Love And my "Sound" comes from loks and cars running on m-track at high=speeds Cool

p. s. Märklin Start-Up has the LEGO compatible building block starter sets and add-ons...so who knows what will be the future?
p. p. s. I agree that one might expect a certain continuity of quality over the range...but I am unsure how to tackle that subject.
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2021 12:41:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
True Jimmy, and adults are Lego enthusiasts, not just kids. The Alpha and My world was mostly for kids. To introduce them to trains. Trains on C and K track sound goid too. At high speed, you can barely hear the rail joint sound from the speaker at all.
As for detail parts, 3D printing can help. But for brass? Detail associates now casts most of their former brass pieces of plastic. I liked the ho scale brass lift rings to replace hood ornaments on Herpa Mercedes cars.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2021 13:40:29(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I don't complain about the newer models.
Because I don't own any!BigGrin
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2021 22:55:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Everyone has their own preference, and while many here seem to relish the "good old days" it is an undeniable fact that the latest models are much more accurate and true to scale than their predecessors. Not everyone is after a loco that can pull a train up a 45 degree slope, so expectations of pulling power are nowadays more in tune with what is realistic.

As for plastic, what about models like the 3000 Br89, 3003 Br24, 3065 V60, 3075 Br216, and many others, which have been produced since the 50s and 60s in plastic? This is nothing new. In many cases it is easier to produce an accurate model in plastic than in metal. However, for those who prefer metal, there are some models that were produced in plastic that now come with metal bodies, so I don't believe that that there is a trend to plastic model in recent times at all.

I have no quarrel with Marklin's strategy at all, except that I would prefer to see more models available with the option of no sound as a cheaper option.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2021 02:44:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that issues like a decline in tractive power and the use of plastic are getting thrown into the same topic, when it is not the case.
Classic Maerklin models like my 3005 (BR 23), my 3014 (Re 4/4) and my 3000 all have and have had plastic elements from the get go.

I have quite a collection of Swiss models, some from Maerklin, some from Hag, some from Roco and others from more manufacturers.

Yes, it is possible to have a little more detail in a model molded in plastic. Whether it be simply the detail in the molding process or by using finely developed parts for more realism, it brings something new to the hobby.

In this age of cost reduction, the use of standardized parts between different models makes it cheaper for manufacturers to produce models, but it also means that companies often use the same basic mold to create both the AC and DC models and swap out only the parts that are essential to have an AC or a DC model. For Maerklin, this means a Maerklin (AC) and Trix (DC) version. Often, this means that a DC model might have all axles powered while the AC model has only one bogie (two axles or more) powered. I have no problem with this. I do have some concerns about AC models where only one wheel per bogie is equipped with a traction tire. I would prefer that the models be designed so that the AC model has traction tires on at least two driven axles and power collection come from the other bogie. I can understand why they need to limit traction tires for DC power collection though.

I don't understand why we have to give up on the catenary. Having models powered by the pantographs was a very cool feature.
The new models no longer are outfitted for use with pantographs. They say it is to protect the decoder/electronics.
I would like to see this option kept for those who desire to use the catenary. I would like to see the selection of power supply be designed in such a way that the model does not have to be opened to change from track to catenary. Surely this can be done with a micro switch on the underside.

There is too much one step forward, two steps back IMHO. For example, the new Re 4/4II models have a middle mounted motor with additional powered axles, yet, as I mentioned above, the model has only one traction tire per bogie and the newly redesigned bogies have coupling shafts which extend farther than the original model. It cancels out any benefit.

One thing that I want to see go away is the idea of having discussions or conversations included on sound decoders.
1) You cannot hear a discussion from outside a train
2) Announcements should be for when the train is in the station. "Gleis 4, Einfaht des Zueges" would play before the train arrives. "Gleis 4, Schnellzug nach..." would be much better.
3) When the loco is a modern electric (GTO/IGBT), please use sounds that sound real. Using a generic e-lok sound is as irritating as using diesel sounds for a steam engine.

and one final gripe. When I look back at my Maerklin 3050 or any of my original generation Hag loks. the light channel was milled to magnify and focus the light so that the headlights created a beam in front of the train. Newer models just have a plastic piece which no longer yields a beam, but merely diffused light at best. This was special and has been left behind.

I also must state that I have a few models with cab lighting and I must state that under no circumstances should the interior cab lights be brighter than the high beams on the locomotive.

Rant over

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Mr. Ron  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2021 02:45:06(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
If we went back to all metal locos and cars, that would price many out of the hobby. Plastic trains are a lot cheaper to produce than metal, although I like the heft of a metal loco. As it is, plastic is still expensive, what with all the electronics involved.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2021 02:53:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If a plasticized Maerklin loco is going for 400-600 EUR, the difference with a 500-700 EUR Hag lok is not too much.

We have not enjoyed any significant amount of "cost reduction" being passed on to the customer.
What used to be a 400DM Lok 20 years ago (200 EUR) is today a 400 EUR model.

To get smooth motion and acceleration from a cardan drive motor, it needs less resistance than a classic motor to gear drive, where the wheels would start turning as soon as power was applied to the track. If you start a cardan too quickly, you can damage the shaft or the socket. Reducing the weight reduces the load on the drive.

I find it amusing that instead of going to the DC standard motor with cardan drive, that Maerklin could not have adapted it's original motors and ended up releasing models that were as quiet and as smooth runners as Hag models (for example).

I don't think that plastic requires any additional electronics. The two are separate issues.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 23 March 2021 04:54:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2021 04:39:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: vmsysprog Go to Quoted Post
River6109, it always boils down to money - cost savings, profit margins, etc. While most of us like the heft and weight of metal, plastic allows better detail during the molding process. Beyond that, separately applied details will make the model look great. However separately applied details are labor intensive and thus cost money. And plastic is cheaper. Marklin, as well as some other model train manufacturers produces both entry level as well as high end items. Therefore lack of detail, more plastic and inexpensive electronics are the norm on the entry level items. I buy at both ends of the spectrum, it just depends what catches my eye.

Steve

It is true, it all boils down to money but on the other side of the scale we'e had really expensive models but is understandable no one is interested in manufacturing a true metal loco anymore, today we can mould metal parts to the same details as plastics., suppose we have to go to manufacturers who do small productions of metal locos.

Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2021 04:49:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I don't understand why we have to give up on the catenary. Having models powered by the pantographs was a very cool feature.
The new models no longer are outfitted for use with pantographs. They say it is to protect the decoder/electronics.
I would like to see this option kept for those who desire to use the catenary. I would like to see the selection of power supply be designed in such a way that the model does not have to be opened to change from track to catenary. Surely this can be done with a micro switch on the underside.

I agree, the Piko electric locos I've bought have no electrical contact from the pantogrphs and its not only that, the pantographs mounting unit is made of plastic, others to have a pantograph with all metal and all you need is connect a wire to the screw within the housing.
It is absolutely nonsense to suggest the reason there is no pantograph connection to protect the decoder, I've had locos running from the overhead system for over 20 years and never had a decoder failure., changing the subject slightly, Piko locos: to change the rubber tyres you have to take the housing off, you have to disassembly the bogies, take the bogie apart to change the rubber tyres (crazy).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 22 March 2021 04:59:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Ray wrote:

Not everyone is after a loco that can pull a train up a 45 degree slope,

I like to see that, give us an example ? Huh , are you talking about a rack and pinion train ?

Ray wrote:
so expectations of pulling power are nowadays more in tune with what is realistic.

some modellers like to play with trains and others like to operate trains closer to reality or make it look realistic.

What is realistic when it comes to playing with model trains ? BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2021 06:17:36(UTC)
Goofy

Plastic locomotives makes too much noise than metal loco. Catenary are no longer need to use because digital make contact on the track to the trains.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 22 March 2021 08:08:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh, well the Zubivracer pulled a heavy long train, was it G scale? However, ho Marklin have pulled very heavy loads at exhibitions.
As for plastic bodies being noisier, it depends on the class if model, and brand. A Marklin br 111 runs quiet, whereas a Roco has some vibration from the body. It doesn't have a screw mounting. A Marklin br 101 has noisy gears. I think it's the gearing ratio. same for the earlier re 460. Both metal. My plastic Hammo croc. Runs quieter.
So Catenary s for show only now. That can also be a choice. suppose you have classic analog locs. You can set them for overhead pick-up, and energize the overhead separate with a trafo?
Will doing so send any interference to the outer rails and digital signal?
John, you can change the Piko plastic pantos for all metal, and wire them.
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 22 March 2021 09:44:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Plastic locomotives makes too much noise than metal loco.
Modern Märklin locos have a (thin) metal body, but plastic gears and plastic axles. Not much noise with the new wormdrive design. Look e.g. at the TRAXX and ER 20 models.

Much air inside. They could be a lot heavier with more metal inside.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2021 11:29:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Plastic locomotives makes too much noise than metal loco.
Modern Märklin locos have a (thin) metal body, but plastic gears and plastic axles. Not much noise with the new wormdrive design. Look e.g. at the TRAXX and ER 20 models.

Much air inside. They could be a lot heavier with more metal inside.

Yes, the Vectrons and other 3600 series like the Traxx are thinner and have plastic delron or nylon gears. The higher end ones like the 39212, 39210, 37473, etc. Are thicker, and heavier with metal gears. I have those. Quite smooth and quiet. The 39210'is from 2007, about when Marklin bought Trix. Could this and others be original Trix models?
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2021 16:04:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, the Vectrons and other 3600 series like the Traxx are thinner and have plastic delron or nylon gears. The higher end ones like the 39212, 39210, 37473, etc. Are thicker, and heavier with metal gears. I have those. Quite smooth and quiet. The 39210'is from 2007, about when Marklin bought Trix. Could this and others be original Trix models?

Just for the record, your 37473 started out life as a Trix model. It was released the same year as Maerklin's 34/3734 and 34/37341 after having been designed at Trix' Nürnberg factory.

It is not where the model comes from, but rather how it is designed.
The 3323/3328 Re 4/4IV was a disaster as a model in terms of design, even though it probably is up there in terms of metal construction.
The lack of detail was below that of today's Hobby Traxx.

If you put the effort into the development, you are going to get a better model.
I think that if the team puts too much emphasis and looks and not enough on function, the model might underperform once it is released.
They need to do more testing with prototypes rather than just a simple test once the production models are assembled.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline JohnjeanB  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2021 16:52:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Well the good old days are gone when locos consisted of metal, these days a lot of the add ons are plastic., and over the years the amountmof metal in a loco has also drastically been reduced., its all about the authentic look these days., pantographs are no longer connected, bogies are made of plastic, housing are made of plastic and the chassis or frame's metal content ihas also been drastically reduced.
designers today have all the tools to make it a good model but they fail miserable., some models are just great and others are dissapointing as you look for a metal part in the loco.
We may have the greatest computer operators, cad operators etc etc. but it seems to me engineers and designers don't seem to share the basics or they are deliberately reducing the weight of a loco, its not only the reduction of weight but also the capability to balance the weight with traction force., less rubber tyres are applied,
I would like to see the whole design team to get together and design a frame and housing in the simplest form, this would mean we could have models come in a form of a kit and you can choose all your add ons., when you look at the models today there is no frame the same and this must cost an anormous amount of money to produce, even with the prototype locos they've produces frames whcih are interlinked with different class locos, saing millions of dollars, why they haven't followed that pass is a mystery to me.
Buying locos to day, especially with Märklin you no longer have an option to buy a particular loco with out sound, although the prices are attractive we don't have a choice anymore.
I've roughly worked out most locos could have an additional weight of 200g minimum, where as the frame metal content is reduced day by day.
Models are no longer produced for its pulling power but rather for its looks and popularity., every Dick & Harry is producin g BR 85, BR 95 locos and I would like to know what polls are undertaken to show there is such a high demand for this loco.
I'm not going to mention the Swiss corocdile or the German Crocodile and eventually Märklin bought out the Austrian Crocodile (100 points)
We are slowly driven into an era wheras the motors get smaller, the weight is reduced, more plastic parts are applied and the day may come where it is a possibility you buy a Lego loco insted of buying one from a traditional model train manufacturer.

Hi
Just for the sake of conversation I slightly disagree here (At least for Märklin locos and wagons):
* Märklin turned to Plastic (Thermoplastik) in 1953 with CM 800 and then reverted to metal on quite a number of locos (3021, 3034,3037 and many more)
* Märklin did another try with plastic housing in 1964 with locos like 3053 and some more.
* Mârklin did all its bogie flanges in plastic from 1952 and turned to plastic brush holders around 1955
* Many of my Märklin locos are quite heavy (yes less than a CCS800 or a DL800) and are quite good at pulling reasonable length trains on grades.
* traction tires have progressed from the early transparent plastic, then to rubber and now to a material with astonishing adhesion properties.

Yes there are plastic details (e.g. steps on an electric loco that can be destroyed by platforms)
Yes to current drain has been vastly reduced (over 1 A for my old 3015 crocodile compared with 100 to150 mA for recent sound locos with a tiny and powerful can motor.
This allows me to drive my layout with 32 locos (all under power) with only one 100 w power supply when in the old days one transfo was needed for each group of 2 or 3 trains.
Pulling power: I have this DL800
DL800-IMG_1991.JPG
and it is heavier but not more powerfull (in fact less pulling traction) than my much more recent 37605 VT 11.5 DB Tee (2003) with 2 motors on ball bearings and all metal cars
37605VT11.png

So IMO, Märklin produced good and heavy rolling stock (SK 800) and some lighter ones like these, irrespective of the production time
374 Tankw 386 Kleintierw.jpg

I like them all. All a matter of opinion
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline michelvr  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2021 17:08:07(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning John and fellow modellers,

If I may say the good old days are always with us and we are a very fortunate bunch of happy go luckily modellers. We have everything you could every dream of just waiting to be purchased from our sources, be it the local hobby store or from a on line store many miles away. I do agree with your view as to the options of having a sound or soundless locomotive. I for one like sound and all the bells but after some time on my layout I turn it off because it takes the peace and quite away from my enjoyment of running trains. We do live in a time where we are blessed to have so many distinguished model train manufacturers making what we are after. I for one prefer Märklin for the sole pleasure of it being Märklin as it brings me back to the good old days.

When I comes to details I prefer simplicity over rivet counting, metal over plastic. The days of bulletproof design is long gone and now they are adding too many features is here. I like to keep it like the old days, hence having a good running locomotive with lights, simple and effective in my option. Times change but in the end it’s still the locomotion of the locomotive we’re after. The only difference is now you’re forced to put down a substantial amount of money for a toy train and that’s what wrong with today.

My Märklin good old days only started in 2012. Let the good times roll!BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Copenhagen  
#21 Posted : 22 March 2021 19:25:27(UTC)
Copenhagen

I don't mind plastic. Nowadays locomotives and waggons can have lots of details on them in both metal and plastics but as I heard a shop keeper say, "the more they put on, the more can fall off!"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline michelvr  
#22 Posted : 22 March 2021 20:09:47(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
I don't mind plastic. Nowadays locomotives and waggons can have lots of details on them in both metal and plastics but as I heard a shop keeper say, "the more they put on, the more can fall off!"

It wasn’t so long ago (2004) when Rapido Trains Inc. launched their first Canadian models and the best way to describe them is;

Beautiful, admirable, adorable, alluring, angelic, appealing, beauteous, bewitching, captivating, charming, classy, comely, cute, dazzling, delicate, delightful, divine, elegant, enthralling, enticing, excellent, exquisite, fair, fascinating, fetching, fine, foxy, good-looking, gorgeous, graceful, grand, handsome, ideal.

BUT Like your shop keeper said and oh do I love what you have written;

"The more they put on, the more can fall off!" Crying
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline carlos.rivas16752  
#23 Posted : 22 March 2021 20:26:58(UTC)
carlos.rivas16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Models are no longer produced for its pulling power but rather for its looks and popularity.
, every Dick & Harry is producin g BR 85, BR 95 locos and I would like to know what polls are undertaken to show there is such a high demand for this loco.

Hi
Just for the sake of conversation I slightly disagree here (At least for Märklin locos and wagons):
* Märklin turned to Plastic (Thermoplastik) in 1953 with CM 800 and then reverted to metal on quite a number of locos (3021, 3034,3037 and many more)
* Märklin did another try with plastic housing in 1964 with locos like 3053 and some more.
* Mârklin did all its bogie flanges in plastic from 1952 and turned to plastic brush holders around 1955
* Many of my Märklin locos are quite heavy (yes less than a CCS800 or a DL800) and are quite good at pulling reasonable length trains on grades.
* traction tires have progressed from the early transparent plastic, then to rubber and now to a material with astonishing adhesion properties.

Yes there are plastic details (e.g. steps on an electric loco that can be destroyed by platforms)
Yes to current drain has been vastly reduced (over 1 A for my old 3015 crocodile compared with 100 to150 mA for recent sound locos with a tiny and powerful can motor.
This allows me to drive my layout with 32 locos (all under power) with only one 100 w power supply when in the old days one transfo was needed for each group of 2 or 3 trains.
Pulling power: I have this DL800

and it is heavier but not more powerfull (in fact less pulling traction) than my much more recent 37605 VT 11.5 DB Tee (2003) with 2 motors on ball bearings
and all metal cars

So IMO, Märklin produced good and heavy rolling stock (SK 800) and some lighter ones like these, irrespective of the production time

I like them all. All a matter of opinion
Cheers
Jean

Here you are the weight of my old reliable 3047 (that I own since 1970) with an Ulhenbrock decoder now installed vs the weight of two modern day BR 44´s. I haven´t experienced loss of pulling power but my layout has got no gradients.
20200422_200940.jpg
20200422_200918.jpg
20200422_200838.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas16752
Offline JohnjeanB  
#24 Posted : 22 March 2021 22:28:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
No. Under normal conditions Märklin loco's pulling is quite good.
(Traction tires recent and clean, track clean)
My point was that the DL800 with more than 1 kg and 3 powered boggies had less traction power than.. to illustrate that not always recent Märklin designs are worse than old ones (far from it IMO)
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#25 Posted : 23 March 2021 11:35:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Weight ratio comparison; item 36182= 405 g. #37473= 515g.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#26 Posted : 23 March 2021 15:19:23(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
My main concern with the new items is the availability of obtainable repair parts. With the items from the 60's etc you can still find about everything you need to get one back up and running. With the new items, if you have something break or wear out, it can be much more difficult of near impossible to find parts. Also, if you break some of the small fine details, you have to get a complete detail parts package to replace the one part. And heaven forbid you don't know the part number! Confused

I sometimes get the idea that the new stuff is bought mostly by collectors who never even run them. Flapper
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline marklinist5999  
#27 Posted : 23 March 2021 15:52:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
While items are still in production parts may be scarce. Once out of, not so much. I think vintage items are not ran much by collectors. New ones more so, at first anyway. We're all different.
Offline David Dewar  
#28 Posted : 23 March 2021 19:29:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Manufacturers have to increase profits year on year. Same with all types of business. They don’t always manage but that is the target. Hence more plastic than metal. Other than locos I notice a considerable increase in price of coaches. These are just toys where the manufacturer tries to model closely on the original.
Many coaches are now sold complete with lighting with no option thus increasing the cost and profitability. Also some with decoders.
Plastic is cheap even if increasing now in price and is easy to model.
Many now just buy Marklin as collectors and the models are rarely if ever run and detail is all that is important.
The hobby has done well over the past year because of the virus but in years to come will decline and models will be made with cheaper materials.
Meanwhile I just enjoy and accept what is available which in the main is satisfactory,
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline DTaylor91  
#29 Posted : 23 March 2021 20:26:36(UTC)
DTaylor91

You want an all-metal loco, with all-metal details, with modern levels of detailing? Give Micro-Metakit a call, they'll set you up.
OOOHH, the price? Makes plastic look not-so-bad, eh? Cool

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline marklinist5999  
#30 Posted : 24 March 2021 02:35:36(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Or Lematech, the Swiss watch of locomotives.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999