Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2021 22:10:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So the 2016 era 37703 ICE 1 has a wagon that has a cracked floor pan, and Marklin tells me they don't have those parts any more.
The rigid conducting couplers (which seem to me to be a highly likely to break plastic part) also not in stock.

This has me wondering, how long does Marklin have any spares available for an item? From some stories, they don't even cover enough for the warranty period.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2021 22:37:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The US standard used to be 10 years after obscolecense, but I don't know for models, or other nations. If Marklin has an ICE 1 in the current or recent program, a floor pan from those should fit, unless it's not the motor wagon with the classic motor. That may be a problem. Perhaps you might locate a similar model used for parts, or use yours as parts.
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2021 06:09:14(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Marklin has new in stock 36712 ICE 2s. $300 US. They have no current conducting couplers. The cars are therefore not lighted. Drive on one truck. Same for 296712 start set. Also available. Look at the PDF spare parts schematic for them. If they are not cardan shaft drive, then the belly bottom should work.
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2021 07:22:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Marklin has new in stock 36712 ICE 2s. $300 US. They have no current conducting couplers. The cars are therefore not lighted. Drive on one truck. Same for 296712 start set. Also available. Look at the PDF spare parts schematic for them. If they are not cardan shaft drive, then the belly bottom should work.

Interesting idea. In my case it’s just one of the passenger cars. Not the loco. So the drivetrain isn’t a concern. But if that worked would then Märklin service dept not have offered that part up? The parts themselves are not listed spares and required a Marklin repair to fix so i would have to buy a used passenger car. I think I can glue it up again and will try that, was more curious about how short the parts inventory is available. Short it seems.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Rocca  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2021 11:23:32(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi Minok, this a problem I needed to cop with in the recent past me too. This happens with very high priced items too (locos or coaches) and this is really not fair from a Firma as Märklin who has sure a big history on his back. No way to find spare parts, which aren't anymore in production. This is the reality now!
Have a nice weekend
Stefano

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post

Interesting idea. In my case it’s just one of the passenger cars. Not the loco. So the drivetrain isn’t a concern. But if that worked would then Märklin service dept not have offered that part up? The parts themselves are not listed spares and required a Marklin repair to fix so i would have to buy a used passenger car. I think I can glue it up again and will try that, was more curious about how short the parts inventory is available. Short it seems.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rocca
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2021 11:53:08(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh, by all means, I get what you mean Rocca. Yet Marklin is not alone in this. Planned obsolescence has been in every manufacturing entity since the iron age. If everything could be repaired or updated indefinitely, we'd never buy new. For many, vintage is best. Others want the cutting edge in detail, tech., and style.
With classic autos for example, some n.o.s. parts are still available. When they are not, and salvage supplies have vanished, often a small custom order shop makes new parts. These are very costly to buy and make. For metals, there are repair techniques in soldering, brazing, or filling with fiber compounds. For porcelain and plastic there are clays, and modeling fillers like Milliput from the UK. It comes to how talented or patient one is in restoring.
In one instance with the first issue Marklin Seetal crocodile, one such maker offers replacement frames, as this model is plagued with Zinc pest. It was not the design, but poor quality control due to budget constraints by then owner Knigsbridge capital. New management offered no warranty. Another is the Trostberg Koff. I have both. The Koff has seized up. The Seetal has a dislodged nose resulting in a card an shaft from staying in. I see no breaks, but can not reattach it.
Offline Bryan  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2021 10:27:04(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All
Just on the subject of spares availability, a point or two. I have the spares list from the Marklin service department for 2018 and 2020. The number of stock spares listed in 2018 was 15866 and in 2020 it was 6454 items. Seems a dramatic decrease, just hope they will retain the spares. The avalibility problem is more with with more recent models, the older types there are still the important armatures and gear wheels in stock, essential for repairs.
Regards
David