Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MDMX2057  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2021 13:40:08(UTC)
MDMX2057

United Kingdom   
Hi to everyone

I am a new member returning to the hobby now that I have retired. A mixture of pleasure and frustration! I have purchased a CS3 plus which for the most part I have found to be OK however I am currently stuck on trying to add uncouplers onto the system. I have an M83 wired to the CS3 and am trying to create an uncoupler item on the M83 entry on the item list. According to the manuals that I have read you should be able to do this by selecting Edit, Add Article, Select Misc and then use the drop down menus on the info tab of the register card to select No Article which would then provide an extended list that would include uncouplers. Ref page 46 of the Running Trains Digitally with the CS3 manual. My problem is that when I do this there is no info tab on the register card just the Set Up and Configuration tabs. Any ideas as to how to access the Info tab.

Many thanks in advance

Alan

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2021 14:10:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MDMX2057 Go to Quoted Post
Hi to everyone

I am a new member returning to the hobby now that I have retired. A mixture of pleasure and frustration! I have purchased a CS3 plus which for the most part I have found to be OK however I am currently stuck on trying to add uncouplers onto the system. I have an M83 wired to the CS3 and am trying to create an uncoupler item on the M83 entry on the item list. According to the manuals that I have read you should be able to do this by selecting Edit, Add Article, Select Misc and then use the drop down menus on the info tab of the register card to select No Article which would then provide an extended list that would include uncouplers. Ref page 46 of the Running Trains Digitally with the CS3 manual. My problem is that when I do this there is no info tab on the register card just the Set Up and Configuration tabs. Any ideas as to how to access the Info tab.

Many thanks in advance

Alan

Hello Alan
What is the version of software on your cs3? There has been some significant changes between version 1.x.x. and 2.x.x software. I don't know myself if this affects how an uncoupler is configured but the changes are such that Marklin has brought out an updated version of the book.

Alan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2021 14:14:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alan
Welcome to the forum

With a CS3, to create an decoupler, you need first to add it to the list of articles
1 Edit the list of articles
cs3 Edit Track list.png
2 Make sure you don't filter out things
cs3 Edit filters.png
3 create a new entry by selecting "+" at the end of the list and select miscellaneous devices
cs3 new uncoupler.png
A new item appear in BLUE background
* Select "coupling" (for HO)
* Select if it will use the RED or the GREEN connection
* give it a name (instead of K1 here)
* give the address (here 7) and a protocol (here MM)

Then you can leave the edit mode and then insert the new item into your layout like here
cs3 Edit Track list.png
I hope this helps
Jean

Offline MDMX2057  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2021 14:33:07(UTC)
MDMX2057

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MDMX2057 Go to Quoted Post
Hi to everyone

Many thanks in advance

Alan

Hello Alan
What is the version of software on your cs3? There has been some significant changes between version 1.x.x. and 2.x.x software. I don't know myself if this affects how an uncoupler is configured but the changes are such that Marklin has brought out an updated version of the book.

Alan

Could get confusing with the names! The software version is 2.2.0 (which I believe is the latest version). Can you confirm whether the info tab is present on your register card on the item list?

Thanks
Alan

Offline MDMX2057  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2021 14:39:31(UTC)
MDMX2057

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Alan
Welcome to the forum

With a CS3, to create an decoupler, you need first to add it to the list of articles
1 Edit the list of articles
cs3 Edit Track list.png
2 Make sure you don't filter out things
cs3 Edit filters.png
3 create a new entry by selecting "+" at the end of the list and select miscellaneous devices
cs3 new uncoupler.png
A new item appear in BLUE background
* Select "coupling" (for HO)
* Select if it will use the RED or the GREEN connection
* give it a name (instead of K1 here)
* give the address (here 7) and a protocol (here MM)

Then you can leave the edit mode and then insert the new item into your layout like here
cs3 Edit Track list.png
I hope this helps
Jean

Jean

Thanks for the above. I had understood that you can connect eight uncouplers in total to a M83, 2 to each numbered set of three connectors. When I do as you have detailed above I can name the red and green items separately but since they use the same address the address shows up in red i.e. as being used already. I had understood that selecting uncoupler would automatically split the connectors into an (a) and (b) part that would operate the two uncouplers separately and not show a problem with the address.

Alan

Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2021 14:51:36(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
When I updated to 2.2.0.5 one of my uncouplers was changed to a G1 and did not work properly. Do you have any idea what the G1 applies to? I do not remember seeing it prior to the update. I do not believe that the M83, I have an M84, automatically sets the addresses. You have to do some work yourself. I experimented with the settings of my M84 and found a way to temporary power the uncoupler thus preventing an accidental burnout and requiring clicking the uncoupler twice. It is posted on this site someplace.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2021 15:34:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alan
Yes all your assumptions are correct. With Decouplers, what matters is: the address, the colour (R or Green) and the protocol MM or DCC (or MFX)
Cheers
Jean
Offline MDMX2057  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2021 17:29:06(UTC)
MDMX2057

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Alan
Yes all your assumptions are correct. With Decouplers, what matters is: the address, the colour (R or Green) and the protocol MM or DCC (or MFX)
Cheers
Jean

Jean

Thanks very much for your help, I have (materially) managed to get the CS3 operating the uncouplers separately on screen. The limited number that aren't operating as expected are probably due to back execution on my part, will try again tomorrow. BigGrin

Alan