Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rugauger  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2006 22:55:16(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hi guys

I've just converted my 3075 (LFCM) with a HAMO magnet and a decoder from the Fire Brigade 211 loco (which I believe to be similar to a 60902, but with on-track programming).

The loco runs beautifully in analog mode at all speeds. However, in digital, any speed below "100" on the 6021 dial results in terrible "stuttering", and at the lowest speed setting, is runs with horrible jerks.

I have a suspicion that it's about the chokes/capacitors that are/were installed. I left in place the 2 chokes between the decoder's blue and green wires and the motor connections. I also left the capacitor between the two motor connections, but I don't know if it's the right capacitor for digital operation. I DID remove the capacitor that used to connect the right motor connection to the soldering point on the motor block.

Questions:
- are there any reasons why HAMO + 60902 (or similar) shouldn't work?

- do I need a different value capacitor between the two motor connections?

- do I need to re-instate the capacitor that I removed?

- do I perhaps even need a third capacitor from the LEFT motor connection to the chassis?

I've seen many different variations, and I'm just not sure which is the right one! So - help!
Richard
Offline SRB  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2006 23:19:25(UTC)
SRB

60902 will not work without a hamo magnet.
There should be three capacitors. From ground to each brusches and one connecting the brushes to each other. The value of the capacitors should be 1nF (M* spare part 513530). At last there shuld be two choke coils between brushes to the green and the blue wires. The choke coils should have a value at 3,9uH (M* spare part 515520)

Look at different conversion topic at this forum for some pictures.

Regards Stig
IB; C-track; DSB and SBB ep. III-V
Offline Mikael  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2006 23:22:10(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Yes, there is a reason why this happens. The 60902 decoder is made for the high-efficiency motor parts (5-pole rotor and the small but very powerful neodymium magnet). Using other motor parts (like the HAMO magnet), the voltage feedback from the motor will be different, and the decoder won't know how to regulate it properly.
It's only a guess, but I think this is why you see this jerky behaviour.
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2006 02:04:23(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

I agree with Mikael.
In addition, if your decoder is capable of being programmed on the track, very probably it is a 60760.
If this is the case, its behavior with non-6090 motors is still worse than that of the real 60901.
Capacitors from brushes to ground must be removed.
You can try a Lokpilot V2, it works very well with Hamo motors.
Have fun!
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline rugauger  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2006 11:45:00(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
OK, so SRB is saying that I need to have capacitors between ground and each brush, and Jorge is saying they need to be removed! I'm confused...

Is there really NO way of using the Fire Train decoder with HAMO?

If that's case, are there any suggestions other than LoPi? Do Uhlenbrock have any suitable decoders (I want load regulation)?
Richard
Offline Transfesa  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2006 12:23:56(UTC)
Transfesa

Hi Richard,

I've personally done a conversion of a 3-pole motor (not Märklin, but very alike a LFCM) from an Electrotren 2001, which is a RENFE 333. I used an Uhlenbrock 75200 (that provides load regulation) and it runs quite well, although it does some jerking in the start-ups at very low speed and in the final brake, and the speed steps are a bit noticeable. But besides this, its behaviour is almost as good as 6090x.

You can read the notes about the locomotive in my review:
https://www.marklin-users.net/ap...ws/showreview.asp?ID=232

By the way, the capacitor between the two poles of the motor should be kept, as it's more or less "part of it". I've two Märklin LFCM locomotives that had capacitors between each pole and ground and I've kept them when converting with 60904, and they run very well, so actually it doesn't seem to matter confused

Hope to have helped you, and welcome to the mysterious "digital conversion world" biggrin

Kind regards.

Julio Castillo
Madrid, Spain
Offline laalves  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2006 14:04:27(UTC)
laalves

Hi,

I have just done two conversions with Hamo magnets with three pole rotors. You must change the load regulation CV values.

Try these:

CV 2 = 6; (starting voltage)
CV 53 = 14
CV 54 = 20
CV 55 = 15

If afterwards the lok drives too slow, try raising CV 55 to about 25. Experimentation is the way to go. Be sure to take note of what you change and change only one CV at a time, try the lok at different speed steps to see what changes and if it pleases you.

Luis
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2006 14:47:27(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Richard, I believe we need to know exactly what decoder you're using.
Things are quite different for a 60901, 60760, Lokpilot, Uhlenbrock 76200, Uhlenbrock 76400, etc.
Could you please put a picture of the decoder?
Thank you.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline laalves  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2006 15:11:16(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jorge_vilarrubi
<br />Richard, I believe we need to know exactly what decoder you're using.
Things are quite different for a 60901, 60760, Lokpilot, Uhlenbrock 76200, Uhlenbrock 76400, etc.
Thank you.
Regards,

My recommendations were based on Richard saying it was the on-track programming version of the Feurwehr BR212. That decoder is a Lopi v2.0, and he can program it with a mobstat, under the REG option or following the normal CV programming procedure for a 6021.

Luis
Offline rugauger  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2006 16:25:43(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jorge_vilarrubi
<br />Richard, I believe we need to know exactly what decoder you're using.
Thank you.
Regards,

My recommendations were based on Richard saying it was the on-track programming version of the Feurwehr BR212. That decoder is a Lopi v2.0, and he can program it with a mobstat, under the REG option or following the normal CV programming procedure for a 6021.

Luis
You're right, Luis. It is indeed the on-track programmable decoder that came out of a Feuerwehr BR212. Thanks for letting me know it's a Lopi 2.0; I had assumed it was a modified 60902.

So I should be able to work out some decent CV settings; who knows, maybe I can get it going more smoothly after all...

Keep your fingers crossed, guys!
Richard
Offline rugauger  
#11 Posted : 27 April 2006 11:37:34(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Update:
I have just completed a different conversion; a 3072, LFCM with HAMO, and a "proper" ESU-branded Lokpilot 2.0. The driving characteristics are almost as good as 6090x, so I'm very happy. Smile

This leaves the question why the Feuerwehr decoder cannot run my other LFCM HAMO motor properly. I've tried playing with the CVs, but these have had no effect whatsoever. I've also found this:

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=1949

which suggests that I might be dealing with a "dumbed-down" version of the Lopi instead of the "full" version.

Anyway, as it stand now, I'm left with two options:
- upgrade the motor to 6090x high efficiency propulsion [:p] (I can hear all of you shout "go-go-go!" already wink )
- rip the decoder out and replace with with one of the offerings from UB, ESU & Co.

I'm both lazy (don't want to redo all my soldering/cable laying) and tight when it comes to money (don't want to pay for a new motor, especially since my other conversion has proven it can work). Furthermore, it's an older loco, and I'm reluctant to spend more on the upgrade to digital than the actual loco is worth in the first place (the famous car stereo issue biggrin ). Has anybody actually ever run a Marklin 60902 or MFX decoder with a HAMO motor?
Richard
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 27 April 2006 14:07:59(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rugauger
<br />rip the decoder out and replace with with one of the offerings from UB ... don't want to pay for a new motor, especially since my other conversion has proven it can work

Hi Richard Smile,

exactly this was also my question when it came to converting my E254 Gator (#3335) a few moons back. I gladly followed Jorge's excellent advice and installed UB's multiprotocol decoder #76200. That way I could keep my beloved LFCM, never to regret: she's one smooth runner, still [:p][:p][:p]

Have a nice day,
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#13 Posted : 27 April 2006 14:31:29(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Small note:
if there is space, I suggest using NMRA plugs. Takes care of much of the 'lazy part'... Easy to switch decoders, and make tests.
/Lars
Offline SRB  
#14 Posted : 27 April 2006 16:30:35(UTC)
SRB

I agree with Lars. With a NMRA plug it will be much easier to chabge decoder and your engine will at the same tima be the ultimative device for testing decoders.

Stig
Offline rugauger  
#15 Posted : 27 April 2006 16:32:47(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
exactly this was also my question when it came to converting my E254 Gator (#3335) a few moons back. I gladly followed Jorge's excellent advice and installed UB's multiprotocol decoder #76200. That way I could keep my beloved LFCM, never to regret: she's one smooth runner, still [:p][:p][:p]
Hi John, and thanks for the advice. I've used the predecessor to the UB 76200 in two of my locos, one LFCM, one SFCM, and am also quite happy with the results. I do find the motor a bit noisier than my LFCM HAMO, though.

Lars, thanks for the tip with the NMRA plug. I've used the 8-pole NEM plug/socket in my V100, and - space permitting - will definitely go for this approach again.

I am tempted to go for an ESU Lokpilot in this case. First, it works great with the LFCM HAMO and is a bit smoother than the UB 75200/76200. And second, I can get it with the NEM plug already connected, saving me the work (did I mention I'm lazy wink ). But then there's the UB 76420 which also has a plug... Decisions, decisions...
Richard
Offline Hemmerich  
#16 Posted : 27 April 2006 17:53:12(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
You're right, Luis. It is indeed the on-track programmable decoder that came out of a Feuerwehr BR212. Thanks for letting me know it's a Lopi 2.0; I had assumed it was a modified 60902.

Sorry to dissapoint you all - the programmable decoder in the Feuerwehr loco is neither a modified 60902 nor a LoPi (of any kind); it is not even produced by ESU for Märklin.

Regards,
Lutz
Offline SRB  
#17 Posted : 27 April 2006 19:46:46(UTC)
SRB

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich

Sorry to dissapoint you all - the programmable decoder in the Feuerwehr loco is neither a modified 60902 nor a LoPi (of any kind); it is not even produced by ESU for Märklin.

Any ideas who has made the decoder thenconfused

Stig
Offline efel  
#18 Posted : 28 April 2006 13:58:21(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

Quote:
<br />
Has anybody actually ever run a Marklin 60902 or MFX decoder with a HAMO motor?

I've just tested 60902 with a SFCM + Hamo. Works well; (smoother than LP or UHL 76500).

If you have to choose LP V2 or UHL, remember:

1- UHL 76500 offers the possibility of programming value &gt; 80 with MS or 6021, thanks to "offset registers".

2- UHL 76500 has no Elsheimer behaviour, AND keeps last programmed speed in memory only for a short time (as 6090): that allows a soft start after a stop (even short stop) at signal.

That makes, in my opinion, UHL better than LP V2.

Fred

Offline rugauger  
#19 Posted : 28 April 2006 17:45:15(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Thanks Fred, much appreciated. Looks as if the Feuerwehr decoder, for whatever reason, really only works with a high-efficiency motor. I'll certainly give the UB decoders some thought.
Richard
Offline Peter Neumann  
#20 Posted : 24 September 2007 04:10:24(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
Hello world,

My trusty 3075 was converted to digital some years ago with a LokSound2 decoder. It has been a somewhat "moody" engine, a combination of (again) poor grounding, and inconsistent speed regulation.

As I find what the problems may be, I am curious if any of you could recommend specific CV settings for this engine from your own experience - I use a 6021 to program the decoder. All f sound functions on the decoder work fine.

Thank you for your advice...

Peter
in Indiana USA