Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline F456GT  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2021 19:49:36(UTC)
F456GT

United States   
Hello,

I am new on this forum.

In 1952, when I was eight years old, my father gave me a Marklin train set, it lasted for a few years and then I forgot all about it. Nowadays, my main hobby is audio equipment but a few months ago I decided to start again with a no-frills model railroad.

I have a few pieces of 5106 straight tracks and would like to build a simple layout like the one in the link but 27" x 48", not 48" x 96". I will need help to calculate how many tracks and RH/LH turnouts I have to purchase. I would prefer to use manual turnouts.

https://www.walmart.com/...340112a3aa2ac86a5b43cdc9

Thanks much for your time.

Best regards,

Horacio

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by F456GT
Offline auntmartha  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2021 14:52:55(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
check out i.e.
https://www.marklin.org..../reference/pdfs/0700.pdf
to understand the M-track geometri
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2021 18:05:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Horacio,

I would look at jumping into the new C-Track. Perhaps you could start with a start set and then add some of the add-on sets for passing loop, parallel track, siding, etc.
If you want to take a look at the current offerings, call Mr Bartomeu at Micro Macro Mundo in your neck of the woods.

When it comes to ordering, you can compare his local prices to what you can find online. You can easily search Start sets at marklin.com, at rocousa.com (MMM), at AJCKids or other dealers.

Here are a pair of Swiss start sets:
https://www.rocousa.com/..._SBB_Digital_Starter_Set
https://www.rocousa.com/...rain_Digital_Starter_Set

Here is a German one with steamer:
https://www.rocousa.com/...vice_Digital_Starter_Set

This is one of the expansion sets: https://www.rocousa.com/...C_Track_D2_Extension_Set

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline F456GT  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2021 18:28:44(UTC)
F456GT

United States   
Many thanks chaps. I'll take the time to read the info you sent me, extremely useful.

Cheers,

Horacio
Offline marklin81  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2021 23:28:28(UTC)
marklin81

United States   
Horacio,

You might consider downloading SCARM, a free track planning program. It works very well with Marklin M track. Here is the link: https://www.scarm.info/index.php

Visit the "For Sale" section of the forum; some members have M track for sale. There are other online sources, as well.

Best of luck with your project. Keep asking questions on this forum. You'll find answers.

- Pat
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklin81
Offline marklin81  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2021 00:29:04(UTC)
marklin81

United States   
Originally Posted by: F456GT Go to Quoted Post
I have a few pieces of 5106 straight tracks and would like to build a simple layout like the one in the link but 27" x 48", not 48" x 96". I will need help to calculate how many tracks and RH/LH turnouts I have to purchase. I would prefer to use manual turnouts.

Horacio, I reviewed your dimensions (27" x 48") and realized you have quite a challenge. The 5100 standard radius curve track has a radius of 360mm. That works out to a diameter of 28.3" (measured from the center rail). In other words, you'll need more than 27 inches for your layout.

I've created a simple SCARM layout using your desired configuration: Horacio.pdf (267kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

Take a look at the attached file Marklin HO layouts M track.pdf (15,218kb) downloaded 19 time(s). It is in English and provides examples (dimensions in millimeters).

- Pat
Offline F456GT  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2021 01:07:58(UTC)
F456GT

United States   
Hi Pat,

Very kind of you for taking the time to create a layout for me. The problem is that my table measures 50" x 29" and, as you rightly mentioned, it will be quite a challenge. Please see photo.

We lived in McLean for 42 years until retirement.

Cheers.

HoracioIMG_3983_resize.JPG
Offline marklin81  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2021 05:01:57(UTC)
marklin81

United States   
Horacio,

You have some options with that table.

Try using a piece of cellulose fiber sound insulation board (available as Homasote or generic brands at building supply stores), Cut it to a size that supports your compact layout (it will be slightly larger than your table).

Mount M track to the board with screws (Marklin 74990 or equivalent) and set it on the table with a bit of overhang. That will provide a lightweight, "permanent" layout that has the added bonus of being set aside in a closet when not in use. It will also be much quieter than setting the metal M track directly on a wood table.

There are plenty of reliable sources for M track, and manual turnouts are relatively inexpensive. PM me if you need help with that.

A question: do you have a Marklin transformer? The old blue transformers with metal housing have some challenges with brittle insulation and can pose a safety hazard.

- Pat

Offline auntmartha  
#9 Posted : 16 February 2021 11:06:39(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
you might want to forget about the table and have a fold out layout in a cubboard - type
https://abload.de/img/imag099693is4.jpg
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline GenDemo  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2021 11:52:10(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
I would definately look at getting C-track. And also downloading the SCRAM software - it is brilliant.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GenDemo
Offline Harryv40  
#11 Posted : 17 February 2021 12:34:19(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Horacio
Welcome to the forum!
I see many people have suggested starter set as they way to go and I would agree.
However, the table you have, I am sorry to say, is to small for HO gauge, you could try marklin Z gauge but if you are like me I would cause more harm then good.
So here is a couple of solutions.

The cheapest option would be to build a frame of maybe 1” x 3 or 4 timber to that would fit around the edge of your table top, but not fitted to it. Then obtain a piece of suitable board and fit the frame in the middle of it. This will allow you to use the table without damaging it. The board may or may not need a support frame just depends on how large the board is.

Second Option
I to use a nock layout board, I know this limits your track plan and they are not cheap, but they are prefinished with grass, paint, tunnels and bridges. A track plan is supplied for the various different types of track.
I have one of these and for someone like me they provide a great starting point. I build my own aluminum frame for it to sit on and it’s at a height to suit one. Please don’t buy the noch alu frame they are very expensive.

Hope this helps

Harry
From the New Forest UK
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#12 Posted : 17 February 2021 14:09:38(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Horacio,

Welcome, and best wishes for your retirement here in sunny Florida! Cool

I am going to play the other (dark? LOL ) side, and work within your limit of the "Tischbahn" (I also work to small limits) and I realize the limiting that I am about to propose. Also, I am probably in a small sub-set upon the forum, so bear with me.Blushing I am also aware of what may be called the "boring factor" of what I am suggesting...hear me out, please...

"M-Track 5120 Industry radius" - it will fit the table, albeit close to the edge, and it allows for about 2-2½ straight sections in your 50" length. No real passing track would be possible, so you could only run 1-2 trains in the same direction, but, again I am working within this Tablebahn Cool

Yes! I am also limiting your motive power and car length. Per your picture you would only be able to use the 2 steamers and the small diesel and the short cars. The e-loks and longer cars may work, it would be a "try it and see" - the Industry radius may cause longer equipment to derail.

This would allow for, say, 2 straights on each side which is 2 sidings worth of storage/display with probably only 2-3 straights and a buffer on each siding. I, myself, have "waffled" back and forth as to "how many sidings per side", but I kind of think 2 sidings on one side (1 RH 1 LH giving 1 parallel to the main line and 1 at an angle) and either no switch or just 1 switch for a parallel siding on the "long" straight side for a passenger station?

Just some thoughts from my own puzzlings and ruminations. I use 5120s on my layout. I also use the 5122 manual switch sets.

(p. s. - as to the sound level on plain wood vs other surfaces, I find that is part of the charm of M-Track and Tischbahn (and my pure analogue loks); it is what I remember from way back RollEyes - just me)

Edited by user 19 February 2021 14:16:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson