Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nalgangdo  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2021 00:40:56(UTC)
Nalgangdo

Korea, Republic Of   
Hi! This could be a stupid question.

It looks slow when I run the train with Marklin 66360 Switched Mode 36VA 18V DC Power Supply on my Mobile station2. So I operated it with 20V 750mA 15VA power supply! (My ms2 voltage shows 22v) it's a satisfying speed!

However, no one seems to operate the Ho train with 22v, so I leave question.

1. Does operating with 22v cause a big strain on the train?
2. Does it affect ms2 or trackbox?
3. The proper voltage of the train and the proper voltage of the track.

I think it's a stupid question even after writing it, but I want to see the fast train within the safety range. Thankyou
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2021 09:32:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted by: Nalgangdo Go to Quoted Post
1. Does operating with 22v cause a big strain on the train?
There will be some strain.
In the good old days when people used 16 V AC to feed their controllers 22 V track voltage were normal.

2. Does it affect ms2 or trackbox?
You'd get the same track voltage with 16 V AC. There should be no issues.

3. The proper voltage of the train and the proper voltage of the track.
I would not go beyond 22 V track voltage. Theoretically decoders should be fine with up to 28 V, but they will live longer with lower voltages.
The documentation allows up to 24 V DC or 16 V AC for the CS 2 60215. I guess these limits also make sense for the MS 2, even though I did not find any documentation about them.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Nalgangdo  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:11:14(UTC)
Nalgangdo

Korea, Republic Of   
Is the actual track voltage different from the voltage displayed in ms2? It says 22v on ms2.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:19:44(UTC)
H0

Is the actual track voltage different from the voltage displayed in ms2? It says 22v on ms2.
The MS2 displays two voltages - input voltage and track voltage. I don't know how accurate that is. I assume it is sufficiently accurate for most needs.

When using a power supply with 20 V DC and getting 22 V DC track voltage then some questions pop up.
The MS2 can handle up to 1900 mA output, so a power supply with at least 2000 mA should be used to avoid problems.
Your supply with just 750 mA is on the weak side and you may get problems with two trains running at the same time. Even a single train with interior lights can already overload the power supply.
The explanation for the 22 V could be that the power supply is not regulated. I prefer switching-mode power supplies.
I have some adjustable power supplies I can use with my MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Nalgangdo  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:19:46(UTC)
Nalgangdo

Korea, Republic Of   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

sorry. one more uploaded
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:22:47(UTC)
H0

16 V AC lead to 22 V DC on the output side. That's what you get when you rectify AC for use with digital components.
So 22 V track voltage are not unusual as there still are people using their controllers with 16 V AC.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Nalgangdo  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:32:15(UTC)
Nalgangdo

Korea, Republic Of   
16 V AC lead to 22 V DC on the output side.

Is it right to supply 22V DC to make 16V AC flow to the track?

22VDC -> TRACK BOX -> 16VAC (TRACK),22V (MS2 SCREEN)
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2021 10:46:19(UTC)
H0

Is it right to supply 22V DC to make 16V AC flow to the track?
No.
16 V AC from a transformer are a sine wave. 16 V is the effective voltage. To be as effective as 16 V DC the peaks with 16 V AC are about 40% higher.

Track voltage is "bipolar pulsed DC" - there always is the full voltage when there is voltage, but polarity varies.
Digital track voltages in the range 16 V to 22 V should be fine for three-rail H0 gauge.
22 V is the limit you see printed on any recent Märklin loco box. This refers to the digital track voltage.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Nalgangdo  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2021 11:55:23(UTC)
Nalgangdo

Korea, Republic Of   
Taken together, So there's no big problem except for the lack of A and some strain.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2021 12:21:54(UTC)
H0

So there's no big problem except for the lack of A and some strain.
Yep.
You will see how gracefully the power supply deals with overload situations (too many trains, short circuit on the track).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage