Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Brian McWhirter  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2021 04:09:33(UTC)
Brian McWhirter

United States   
Once again, it's that time of the year, (and pandemic) that is finding me spending more time with the railroad. . .

I have a need to operate a single 30000 tank engine in shuttle-mode, up and down a slight incline. The existing railroad is all analog, vintage M-track gear.
I can use an analog transformer, and it sort-of works. If the transformer is barely cracked open, to maybe 1VAC, the loc moves. However, every slight variation in resistance along the track causes the loc to stall, etc.

Currently, it's set up so that when the loc reaches a limit, it triggers a power shutdown, a reverse pulse, and then a reapplication of voltage. What I want is a system, DCC or whatever it's called that that drives the loc, so I'm not relying on this ancient transformer.

I don't have the time, inclination, or cash to change over the entire layout. I can scare up a PC power supply (18-19VDC), but what do I need to deliver the correct signal to the track to drive the loc?

Thanks in advance! This seems to be the only decent source for reliable Marklin info. . .
Brian
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2021 17:10:22(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
The Märklin 6600 (and its variants) was made precisely for this application. Instead of 30000, you would nevertheless need to use a classical analog locomotive, such as 3000. Still, this would probably be the cheapest overall solution that would also match well the overall style of your setup.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Brian McWhirter  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2021 17:06:09(UTC)
Brian McWhirter

United States   
Thanks for the info, Martii. Do you have any idea where I might find English documentation on this device?
Brian
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2021 20:08:24(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline Brian McWhirter  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2021 21:38:20(UTC)
Brian McWhirter

United States   
Thank you. That's very informative!
Brian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brian McWhirter