Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2021 22:59:06(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
With the advant of DCC(which uses AC track power like Marklin does), has anybody converted more modern USA prototype diesels to run on Marklin track? I would like to have a few more "modern" Santa Fe diesels like the EMD GP60M. Athearn makes a nice model in their Ready to Roll line, but with a diecast metal fuel tank, there is little place to put a pickup ski/shoe. Other than making a trailing car behind the locomotives with a one wire jumper/feeder wire, anybody come up with a solution? I love my Marklin, but also like to have a little USA along with my German stuff. But F units are long gone from every day railroading in the USA and I highly doubt Marklin has much interest in doing much in the way of a newer USA diesel than they have already.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline xpsensation  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2021 02:53:21(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
Good question, there are some Canadian National models from Rapido that I would like to run on my Marklin 3 rail.

Phil
Offline tonyfh  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2021 08:33:25(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello all,

A long time ago I did such a conversion with an Athearn GP9 but it was a lot of work.
So, just for inspiration and maybe give you some idea's in what direction to go here is the story:
Athearn GP 9 conversion.cwk (TK).pdf (1,306kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

But remember, this is a very old story with a cheap locomotive and a lot of work involved.

Good luck with your actual conversion.

Greetz, Tony.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by tonyfh
Offline grnwtrs  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2021 09:58:38(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
With the advant of DCC(which uses AC track power like Marklin does), has anybody converted more modern USA prototype diesels to run on Marklin track? I would like to have a few more "modern" Santa Fe diesels like the EMD GP60M. Athearn makes a nice model in their Ready to Roll line, but with a diecast metal fuel tank, there is little place to put a pickup ski/shoe. Other than making a trailing car behind the locomotives with a one wire jumper/feeder wire, anybody come up with a solution? I love my Marklin, but also like to have a little USA along with my German stuff. But F units are long gone from every day railroading in the USA and I highly doubt Marklin has much interest in doing much in the way of a newer USA diesel than they have already.

My simplistic, lazy solution has been to watch Brawa, and E S U models.They have come out with some of the EMD 30's in UP and SP, maybe other road names also. Probably other manufacturers also as i don't follow the brands that closely. Further I don't have any of the skills to assess what could be converted. Roco has a gantry crane out now in AC which I plan to buy with the DB flag. Check out AJC Kids, and MSL(offshore)

My personal favorites have been the ALCO series from Mother Marklin. I sorta collected the whole series and a couple of spares. I 'm just waiting to run the UP Alco PA-1 with the new UP passenger car set that came out last year (fall/winter 2020) I was/still hoping Marklin would come out with a new series of Passenger cars for the Santa fee with the war bonnet paint(alco PA-1) Drool

I don't expect the Southern Pacific or the Denver Rio Grande will get their car sets anytime soon, but we can always dream. Oh, isn't that what all this stuff if about? Huh

Regards, gene
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2021 14:31:37(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I did several conversions of Kato Alco RS & EMD GP35 as well as of LifeLike Proto 2000 EMD GP 30 locomotives

A lot of pain: abstain !

ESU released a SD-40 in different paint schemes (inter alia, Santa Fe) for Maerklin tracks:

https://www.marklin-user...-2-3-Rail-SD40-2-in-2019

Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2021 15:35:38(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
I did several conversions of Kato Alco RS & EMD GP35 as well as of LifeLike Proto 2000 EMD GP 30 locomotives

A lot of pain: abstain !

ESU released a SD-40 in different paint schemes (inter alia, Santa Fe) for Maerklin tracks:

https://www.marklin-user...-2-3-Rail-SD40-2-in-2019

I wholeheartedly agree and I love the jingle; A lot of pain: abstain!

But the urge to have something that is not available is strong and I wholeheartedly agree there too!

Reminds me of years ago (1967) when my father commissioned an HIFI shop in Montreal to convert a Grundig radio from 220V to 110V, a lot of pain in the wallet!

Märklin = BigGrin
All the others designed for Märklin track = Cool
Not designed for Märklin track= Blink Bored Blushing Cool Mad Mellow Scared ThumbDown OhMyGod Sneaky Sad Unsure
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Mr. Ron  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2021 00:41:31(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
It may be easier to start with a Marklin chassis and adapting the American diesel body to fit.
Offline artfull dodger  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2021 06:19:06(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
The only Marklin chassis with USA style diesel bogies are the F7 and the Alco PA1. Alco trucks are very unique to that engine and what was known as the Erie Built Fairbanks Morse streamliner. The biggest issue is the SFCM power truck really is not suited to the majority of the diesel models common in the USA with their narrow hoods and exposed walkways. Newer Marklin drives with the central can type motor and trucks driven by shafts lack the proper bogie side frames. European bogies are very different than the German/European ones. I wish Marklin had done the German engines that did come stateside, the Krauss Maffei engines that were tested on the SP and DRGW. Rivarossi did them, with only one truck driven, it might be possible to modify the front non powered truck to carry the pickup shoe. Same for the Rivarossi E units. It will take some engineering, but I might give that a shot. But a diecast metal Krauss Maffei ML-4000 would be really cool...hint hint Mother Marklin.
UserPostedImage
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline rbw993  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2021 15:50:08(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I am afraid the KM is too much of a niche locomotive. They can't make different versions used on other railroads as there weren't any. No way to profit from multiple paint schemes.

Regards,
Roger