Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sokratis  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2021 18:08:38(UTC)
Sokratis

Greece   
Joined: 27/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 10
Location: Attiki, Athens
Hi all,
I have an old transformator TRANSFORMATOR 6117, PRIMÄR 220V 50HZ, 30VA aged 1950 i suppose,
I have the following problems:
1) the power bulb does not light up as it used to, about a few decades ago.
2) When I turn the switch counter clockwise, it should send 24V for reverse move, but it does not. The lamp of the train does not light, it stays off.
3) when I turn full clockwise, I remember it was like set to zero. It does not. thetrain still running.

Any video or instructions on what to check?
I m not sure how to open this tranformator.
Thank you

Sokratis
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2021 06:58:04(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Joined: 31/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 3,608
Location: Paremata, Wellington
Originally Posted by: Sokratis Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
I have an old transformator TRANSFORMATOR 6117, PRIMÄR 220V 50HZ, 30VA aged 1950 i suppose,
I have the following problems:
1) the power bulb does not light up as it used to, about a few decades ago.
2) When I turn the switch counter clockwise, it should send 24V for reverse move, but it does not. The lamp of the train does not light, it stays off.
3) when I turn full clockwise, I remember it was like set to zero. It does not. thetrain still running.

Any video or instructions on what to check?
I m not sure how to open this tranformator.
Thank you

Sokratis



If you do not know how to open a Transformer then you should definitely not try, they are dangerous. Especially if it has a metal casing. The blue plastic ones are not quite so old and generally are ok because they have PVC cable, not rubber. The rubber may be perished and if so, VERY dangerous.

You either need a qualified electrician or appliance technician to repair it, but that could cost more than just replacing it with a new modern type.

Or look on ebay for one of the newer Blue plastic ones.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2021 09:35:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,746
Location: New Zealand
6117 transformers definitely do not date from the 1950's, they date from the early 1960's (first appeared in the 1962 catalog, last seen in the 1972 catalog).

As Cookee suggests, you should have it checked by a registered electrician.

One way you can check the condition of the cable is to take the mains plug off the cord and inspect the wires. If there is any signs of cracking or perishing most likely it will be the same inside the case.

At any rate, given the list of faults you have with your transformer it might be better to look out for a 6631 plastic case 30va transformer or the later 6647 white case transformer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2021 10:03:11(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Joined: 02/02/2017(UTC)
Posts: 502
Location: England, South Coast
I dimly remember having to PRESS THE KNOB IN to actuate reverse on the old metal controllers?

Turning the knob counter clockwise just turned the power off?

If the loco still runs when the knob is turned fully clockwise this isn't a problem? If the loco stopped this would suggest an incorrectly adjusted reverse unit spring?

The light not working is probably just the bulb.

So to reverse:

First very old controllers (black metal) there is a separate button.
Second controllers (blue metal) press the knob in for reverse.
Third controllers (blue plastic) turn the knob counter clockwise
Fourth controllers (white plastic) turn the knob counter clockwise

Having said all that, if you are not familiar with working on mains voltage electricity I would agree with the others and suggest you find something newer.



Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2021 12:03:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,746
Location: New Zealand
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
So to reverse:

First very old controllers (black metal) there is a separate button.
Second controllers (blue metal) press the knob in for reverse.
Third controllers (blue plastic) turn the knob counter clockwise
Fourth controllers (white plastic) turn the knob counter clockwise


Actually, this is not quite correct.

The 280A transformers from the 1950's with the blue metal case and wiring prone to deterioration had the press knob in for reverse.

The OP says he has a 6611 transformer which has a blue metal case but to reverse with it you turn the knob counter clockwise. So there should be an extra entry in your list between 2 and 3.

Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2021 12:07:32(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Joined: 02/02/2017(UTC)
Posts: 502
Location: England, South Coast
Ah, so two metal case variants?

I admit to not being an expert!

We should still encourage the OP to have his metal transformer checked by someone competent and qualified or failing that, binned.
Offline 1borna  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2021 21:25:16(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Joined: 21/12/2012(UTC)
Posts: 771
Location: Hrvatska
I've fixed / edited at least 50 different ones so far but I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself if you're not a good electrician!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
In this case, the direction is changed by pressure
UserPostedImage
Also
UserPostedImage
Here it is marked to the left changing direction
UserPostedImage
On some forums it is strictly forbidden to post pictures of disassembled transformers so I will not post them here either!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Sokratis  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2021 21:30:36(UTC)
Sokratis

Greece   
Joined: 27/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 10
Location: Attiki, Athens
Thanks for the replies.
I m sure that for reverse, I had to turn counter clockwise and hold there the red knob (to the left of zero). then the train bulbs were lighting at max and reverse was applied. Same for forward. (it is a blue metal heavy transformator)
Anyways, as long as I m not an electrician, I will take it to a hobby shop I just found. If it is worthy I will repair it in order to keep this retro style. If not I will get the one you advised and keep this maybe for lighting supply (if i ever manage to build the scenery).
I have serviced the loco by myself and I will upload a related video.
Keep having fun all!

Sokratis
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sokratis
Offline Sokratis  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2021 21:33:01(UTC)
Sokratis

Greece   
Joined: 27/12/2020(UTC)
Posts: 10
Location: Attiki, Athens
Originally Posted by: 1borna Go to Quoted Post
I've fixed / edited at least 50 different ones so far but I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself if you're not a good electrician!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
In this case, the direction is changed by pressure
UserPostedImage
Also
UserPostedImage
Here it is marked to the left changing direction
UserPostedImage
On some forums it is strictly forbidden to post pictures of disassembled transformers so I will not post them here either!


Mine is the last one with directions mark on the left.
correct!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2021 23:01:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Joined: 17/09/2006(UTC)
Posts: 17,746
Location: New Zealand
Originally Posted by: Sokratis Go to Quoted Post
Mine is the last one with directions mark on the left. correct!


Yes that's it. My first transformer was the 240v volt version (6166) which I still have and still works fine.

Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Similar Topics
Transformator Issue! (Digital)
by Christoffer 09/08/2011 22:56:39(UTC)
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.764 seconds.