Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2021 07:57:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This weekend, my 37325 Re 6/6 11672 got to see it's first use with a Mobile Station 2, so this was the first time I was able to access the full range of functions. I noticed that when I activated F11 (AFAIR), it activated High Beam Headlights plus a clicking sound. The manual lists F11 as Schienenstösse (rail joints).

I did not find High Beam Headlights listed as a function for this locomotive, so I am wondering whether there is something wrong with my model or whether they are all like that. I am going to have to go through my 37322, 37324 and 37326 to see whether the same issue exists on those too.
I seem to remember that the 37322 had the High Beams as F1. The 37320, 37321 and 37323 had more basic setups. I already upgraded my 37320 and 37321 to 37322 chassis, so they have full sound rather than just the whistle.

Has anybody else experienced the same issue? What do you do when two functions appear to be connected to the same output?
Is it likely a wiring issue (two wires from an output) or an internal decoder issue?

For the record, the Zimo Rail Sounds on the Roco Vectron are amazing, but not 100& synched with the speed of the lok.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2021 08:22:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
UPDATE:
37324 has High Beams as F1, so there is no overlap of functions on that model.
37326 has different functions and different LED module, including red LEDs for the first time.
I still have to check my 37322 to see if the same issue appears there too.

Regards

Mike CC
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2021 10:29:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Has anybody else experienced the same issue?
I don't have this particular model, but I have a Trix class 103 that uses SUSI functions for extended light features. The sound decoder uses SUSI functions for the sound, so I had to make my own sound project to avoid having a single SUSI function activate lights and unrelated sounds. The default project for the 103 had several "collisions" with the extended light functions.

With an MS2 using mfx you cannot check which SUSI functions are assigned to which function key.
Maybe other owners of the 37325 can investigate this.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2021 09:00:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I got a reply from Maerklin.

I have been invited to send the model to Goeppingen for inspection.

I was hoping that before it came to that, that I could get some kind of technical assistance so that I could figure out if it was something that can be rectified here (a setting) or whether there is something with the model or the decoder that requires repair/replacement.

In an ESU decoder, you can examine the function mapping. I have no experience with modifying the newer Maerklin decoders (other than address change). I know that you can't change any settings using an ESU Lokprogrammer. I don't have a CS. I don't think you can change that many settings with the MS2, nor do I know if Maerklin's programmer works with anything other than their aftermarket decoders.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2021 11:46:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I know that you can't change any settings using an ESU Lokprogrammer.

You can change any CV on any decoder using a Lokprogrammer. I have done it on Marklin decoders. You just have to do it one CV at a time using the individual CV page.

Offline DasBert33  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2021 12:11:22(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi Mike,

I checked my 37325 specially for you, but no sign of any high beam functionality. Not with the F11 function, nor with any other (as was expected, it is not supposed to have it). This was with my Ecos1 in mfx mode.

I have also opened it up, there are only 3 LEDs on each side, one for each headlamp. (Compared to my square headlamp Re4/4, which has additional seperate LEDs for the high beam functionality) Have you checked how yours looks from the inside?

I would try a decoder reset to start to make sure it is not a programming issue. That should be doable I guess?

Bert
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2021 18:52:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here is the latest update:

As reported above, the email from Maerklin invited me to send the model back for "Überprüfung"

An email to Maerklin Switzerland's Alex Stelzer received a reply suggesting a decoder reset and a MS reset, followed by a recommendation to send the model back if resets do not change anything.

This morning, several Stummi members replied to the German version of this post, with one stating "das Problem mit der 37325 ist bei Märklin bekannt.
Die Lok muss bei Märklin umprogrammiert werden." (The problem is known to M. The locomotive must be reprogrammed at the factory) and another user posting "Außer der Erstauflage 37323 (grüne Re 6/6 11667 Bischofszell) hatten die neueren Märklin Re 6/6 Vollsound und auch teilweise Fernscheinwerfer. Und davon hatte nur die 37325 (Balerna) den von Mike beschriebenen Fehler."

Other than the first edition 37320/37323, all newer Märklin Re 6/6 had full sound and most had high beams. Of those models, only 37325 (Balerna) had the error as described by Mike"

So, the next step, as suggested by Bert, is to document the problem, with images from the outside and inside, perform a decoder reset and if that yields no results, to prepare the model for shipment back to Göppingen.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2021 18:56:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

I checked my 37325 specially for you, but no sign of any high beam functionality. Not with the F11 function, nor with any other (as was expected, it is not supposed to have it). This was with my Ecos1 in mfx mode.

I have also opened it up, there are only 3 LEDs on each side, one for each headlamp. (Compared to my square headlamp Re4/4, which has additional seperate LEDs for the high beam functionality) Have you checked how yours looks from the inside?

I would try a decoder reset to start to make sure it is not a programming issue. That should be doable I guess?

Bert

Hi Bert,

Can you check the following for me?

1) What, if anything, happens when you activate F1? On the MS2, it does not even show up as an available function.
On the 37324, F1 activates the high beams

2) What happens when you activate F11. Is it only the track sounds?
Can you test to see if the result is different when pressing F11 and when pressing F11 while F0 (Lights) are active?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Mike C
Offline DasBert33  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2021 21:41:04(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi Mike,

1) Enabled the F1 function on my Ecos, nothing changed. No high beam light functionality. In fact nothing behind F1.

2) As said in my previous post, I tried every function, with lights (F0) on and off, including F11. No odd behaviour at all, no high beam lights. F11 is indeed track sounds (when running).

According to the Stummi forum where you have also posted, it is a known issue, mentioned by 2 members already. I would check whether the hardware (the LEDs) is the same as in my loco.

If I had to guess what is going on: I suspect you loco has 5 LEDs on each side (based on previous Re6/6 variants with the square lights), opposed to the 3 of mine, and combined with some crappy default decoder programming this gives the odd behaviour you describe. You can easily check that hypothesis by opening the loco up. If there are 5 LEDs, it should be sufficient to disconnect the high beams to get a default 37325 loco. Or better, you try to reprogram the appropriate CV (function mapping) to get OK working high beam lights.

Bert
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2021 23:22:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Bert,

Thank you very much for your help. I will check the innards to see how many LEDs are on the panel.
I will make sure that I have the 37322 and 37324 on hand for comparative purposes

37325 Internal
37325.1.jpg
37322 Internal
37322.jpg
37325 front, 37322 rear
37325-37322.jpg
37325 LED Close Up
37325.2.jpg

The 37322 photographed is actually equipped with the shell for the 37320.1.

Summary:
F11 with F0 off = Rail Joints (Schienenstoss)
F11 with F0 on = Rail Joints + High Beams
If F6 or F8 are pressed while the locomotive is travelling in that direction, only the sound comes on and there are no lights. (Killing the lights does not kill the sound function).

If I send the model back to Goeppingen, I will probably have to pay CAD$120 for shipping plus whatever service. I will probably get a model back that no longer has high beams. According to the website, the decoder for the 37325 (253537) is out of stock. They may still have some in stock for repairs in house.
All of the decoders for 37322-37326 are showing as out of stock:
260028 Decoder 37321 + E113289 Sound Module (May be the same for 37320/373230
260079 Decoder 37322/324
253537 Decoder 37325
296206 Decoder 37326

Regards

Mike C
Offline DasBert33  
#11 Posted : 04 February 2021 07:56:44(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Yours looks exactly the same as mine, so there goes my theory.

That shipping is expensive! If it is just a CV update I would attempt to reprogram it yourself first.

I have a ESU lokprogrammer available. If the decoder does DCC and if there is a command to dump all register values I can dump these for you to compare?

Bert

Edit: never mind. There seems to be no such function in the programmer software...

Edited by user 04 February 2021 13:44:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jvuye  
#12 Posted : 04 February 2021 14:51:00(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Mike and all

First let me state I don't have the same loco...Wink

Just looked as best as I could with the documentation and I think that there is indeed probably a "bug" in the function mapping, and someone probably double clicked the "1" key at some pointWink RollEyes

So clearly it's a decoder programming error at the factory and certainly no wiring mix-up : one of the functions ("hi beam") is a physical output, and the "Schienenstoss" is a logical (soft) output .
No wiring mistake would create such a problem.

Caution : Ranting mode ON
I cannot advise on reprogramming/accessing Märklin decoders function mapping: in any case I have given up on working on Märklin decoders a long long time ago, as they made it so difficult to perform any diagnostic or reprogramming

They may have changed, but I have no hands-on recent experience , and since I no longer perform repairs and service professionally, I'm off the loop )

So that got me to ESU (even though I don't really like some of the people there...their products are way more transparent and easier to use) .
That includes my decision not to buy a Märklin CS and favour the ECOS instead

Ranting mode OFF

You have the option to send the locomotive back to the factory, but I'd envisage a couple of things before

1° instead of the whole loco, you could simply just send the decoder. It's easy to pull it off the motherboard. The mechanical/ electrical part of your loco is just fine , so no need to send the whole thing.
Also instead of sending it to Märklin, you could send it to a very competent old friend Wink Wink in Katonah (NY) that could probably have it done for you. (I have been away from the US scene too long to recommend anyone else)

2° alternatively you could install a ESU LS4 or LS5 on the same socket. The sound files from ESU on the Re 6/6 are just fabulous, way better than anything Mârklin has ever offered.

(Yes that was another quick ranting blurpWink )

Either one would be cheaper than double trip accross the ocean.

My two cents

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 04 February 2021 22:27:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Last night, I let the locomotive run for a while. It seemed to me that the High Beams were not constant and seemed to come and go from time to time.
I am thinking about replacing the decoder. According to Maerklin, the decoders for all the Re 6/6 (620) models are red lighted.

The speaker is wired to the circuit board and not directly to the decoder.
Can I use a Loksound decoder or would I need to use the ESU speaker instead of the OEM installed one?

I'm also wondering if Maerklin can program one of their decoders and whether if I opt for the model for the 37322, would I lose the Track Sound effect but gain long distance headlights?
I was thinking about popping the decoder from my 37322 onto my 37325 to see if the high beams worked on F1. Is that safe to test?

For the record, somebody should show Maerklin the Roco Vectron so they can see what track sounds really sound like...

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 05 February 2021 18:13:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2021 23:02:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
The ESU sound file has the "Schienenstoss" sound effect and much much more in the library.
My Re 6/6 has the high beams, and the early sound decoder, so I can check and let you know which decoder output is used for the hi beam function.
It's easy then to map the outputs accordingly .
And I can check the speakers impedance, but I think they are identical.
I can pass the info to my friend in Katonah NY who will be able to program it.
You decide!

Edited by user 05 February 2021 11:21:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 05 February 2021 18:28:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My 37320.1 and 37321 have chassis from 37322, so they both have full sound and high beams.
I changed the 37320.1 as I am running it solo and not with the Re 4/4II.
The 37323 is still original (same as original 37320). I kept it that way as I planned on running it as a Re 10/10
The 37322 and 37324 seem to have similar setups
The 37326 has additional red LEDs and Spielewelt functions, so it has a different setup, leaving the 37325 as unique.
They removed the high beams and F1 as a function and added a few new sounds
The 37327 has the new motor with cardan drive, so it likely will have new decoder and new modified chassis.

I have not decided on the 2020 37327. I would have preferred a second green one (round headlights) (1980/90s) or red one (rectangular headlights) (1996-2003) [not Re(f) 6/6] specifically for SBB-P (Passenger) operation between 1999 and 2003.

Jacques, which model do you have?

Regards

Mike C

Offline rbw993  
#16 Posted : 05 February 2021 19:06:35(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Mike,
I have a 37325. When I get a chance I test out "F11" and see if I see any increased light output. I'm in the midst of converting over from my CS2 to a CS3 and almost done. (It isn't trivial) So I should get to it this weekend.

Regards,

Roger
Offline rbw993  
#17 Posted : 05 February 2021 22:59:20(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Mike,
I was able to test mine. As you probably have already figured out your model has an extra "feature". I tried several other functions besides F11 and the headlight brightness never changed.

Roger