Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennebror  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2021 20:01:47(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
Hello
Does anyone have experience wiring up the Marklin 66020 decoder into an older 1 gauge AC lok. Any advice / diagrams / manual would be greatly appreciated, I wasn't able to find much on the net. Thank you!
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2021 22:37:19(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I can only find it as 660200, I hope it's the same.

It's a decoder from an old crocodile with 2 DC-motors; IMHO a really strange choice of decoder Blink

You can find a wiring diagram here from the crocodile here: https://static.maerklin....54ce2112471434542240.pdf

A bit of info on the original model can be found here: https://www.marklin-user...e-be-run-on-LGB-DC-Power

I have never tried to use this type of decoder BigGrin

If the decoder you have is older than the above, there's a chance it doesn't work on the usual Märklin Motorola protocol,
the first 1-gauge decoders used by Märklin were a simple form of DCC, not really anything you would use today.

Per.

P.S: It's better to ask us before you buy anything........ BigGrin

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline hennebror  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2021 23:24:45(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
Per, Thanks for the info as always!

I do have an old 5758 AC motor crocodile that would be cool to have digital, but it doesn't sound like that would be the best choice for decoder. I just saw it online and figured I would ask. That project wouldn't be anytime soon though. And i'm thinking it may be better just to leave that one analog and on display, rather than mess with the conversion. The dual motor AC to DC conversion plus decoder seems quite a bit more difficult.

I'm on the road for work and stuck in a hotel due to covid / snow. Plenty of time to research and get lost online with all of the options out there. Seems like the ESU products are the way to go for most conversions. Have you done any dual motor conversion with the ESU products? If I do end up converting the croc, i'll probably have quite a few questions. I didn't see much info in the Loksound XL manual relating to dual motor operation / install.

Now on to the other thread to reply to your input! :) Thanks again for all of your help. You're certainly an invaluable asset to the forum!
Cheers!
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2021 23:55:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: hennebror Go to Quoted Post
Have you done any dual motor conversion with the ESU products?

No; but I don't think it will be a problem BigGrin

I only have 2 dual motor locs, one of them a E91 / 5516, which was born with DC-motors.

My very simple plan is to remove one of the motors, and just run it on one motor; I'm sure it will be strong enough.

I've bought a Märklin decoder from the 55181 / E18 which I intend to use; but haven't done anything yet.

I don't think anybody can tell that the sound of an E18 is wrong for an E91............ Cool

The other one is a "MAXI" 54301 F7 diesel loc, which run well with the original decoder. If I ever change anything,
I also have the 54302 dummy-loc, so I'll just change it so both units run with one motor each.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline phils2um  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2021 05:05:41(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I didn't see much info in the Loksound XL manual relating to dual motor operation / install

I have a similar conversion I want to do on a 5756 krokodil and was looking to get started on it soon. But to answer your question about ESU XL decoders and multiple motors, it will work fine. Wire the motors in parallel to the decoder motor output. Make sure the motors are electrically isolated from the chassis (I'm pretty sure they are.) Also, make sure you wire them to run in the same direction so they aren't fighting each other. The XL decoders have no problem supplying the current needed by both motors. I used a LokPilot XL V4.0 in a LGB 2040 dual motor Krok digital conversion. It's been running fine for over four years now.
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline hennebror  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2021 13:19:25(UTC)
hennebror

United States   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
I didn't see much info in the Loksound XL manual relating to dual motor operation / install

I have a similar conversion I want to do on a 5756 krokodil and was looking to get started on it soon. But to answer your question about ESU XL decoders and multiple motors, it will work fine. Wire the motors in parallel to the decoder motor output. Make sure the motors are electrically isolated from the chassis (I'm pretty sure they are.) Also, make sure you wire them to run in the same direction so they aren't fighting each other. The XL decoders have no problem supplying the current needed by both motors. I used a LokPilot XL V4.0 in a LGB 2040 dual motor Krok digital conversion. It's been running fine for over four years now.

Good luck with the conversion. I may reach out once I get around to tinkering with mine. Thank you for the info.