Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2021 05:39:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

I have not yet received any of the LS Models SBB EC Coaches, but I thought that I would use the photos taken from Uli Reyer's Reisezugwagen.eu website for the purposes of this comparison, as he photographed both models from pretty much the same angles:
LSM
MW_1811-1-4_Bp_Seite2-2.jpg
Roco
Roco_64400_Bpm_Seite1.jpg
LSM
MW_1811-1-4_Detail-2.jpg
Roco
Roco_64400_Detail.jpg

The real thing: https://www.bahnbilder.d...agen-gattung-1114369.jpg

The first difference that jumped out at me was the fact that the LSM coach has a shell which includes the roof, whereas the Roco model had separate roof and body parts. This means that the entire coach body has to be removed in order to install lighting, figures, etc on the LSM coach. The Roco model only requires that the roof be slid to one end to access the interior for lighting.

The finish is more detailed on the LSM coach, but the paint job looks better on the Roco coach (pictured). If you look at the door handles and the edge of the door frame, the Roco seems to have better rendering of these details. I also find the dividing line between the red and black and between the red and white areas to be better on the Roco model. The vents are very detailed on the LSM coach, but the shape may be slightly better on the Roco model.

LSM
MW_1811-1-4_Detail3-2.jpg
Roco
Roco_64400_Detail2.jpg

The LSM has more detailed bogie parts, including the stabilizer.
LSM includes a simulated internal waste storage.
The LSM coach has silver painted folding steps. The Roco model has them painted body color, which seems to match the photo above.
There are photos that do show silver painted steps: http://www.railfaneurope...85_20-90_299-9_1it08.jpg
But, back to this one: https://www.bahnbilder.d...enwagen-2-kl-1049885.jpg

For the moment, I think that my Roco coaches are doing fine.
I have ordered the Cisalpino coaches as a set. I will have to decide whether I will order more of the coming LSM models.

I may decide to transfer the Roco coaches (current livery) to push-pull operations alongside my EWIV coaches and to acquire a consist of the new LSM coaches for a locomotive pulled consist (Zurich-Stuttgart or Zurich-Munich), perhaps with the special Re 421.

I may also convert my Gotthard Panorama Express to LSM coaches. It currently is made up of a mix of LSM and Roco coaches.

Let me know what your initial impressions are, especially if you have had the chance to see these models in person.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2021 14:00:12(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Mike,
Are both bogie types prototypical. They are quite different.

Roger
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2021 15:53:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
UPDATED
I have not compared the bogies too much. The Roco model had a compromise solution for the stabilization coil. The LSM bogie is a little more prototypical in this regard.
Both of these are slightly modified from prototypical for operation. I think that LSM offers a more prototypical version for use in display models.
ACME has released some models with the mounting for the piston on the coach body, but this has proven to interfere with the rotation off the bogie required for HO scale radii.
It was brought to my attention that the bogies of the Roco models correspond to the initial appearance of the bogies and that the horizontal stabilizers have been replaced with a new design that is reflected in the LS Models version. We will have to see if the LSM versions of the original livery includes bogies that correspond to the ones on the Roco models.

Given that operational compromises sometimes trump prototypical appearance (I hated using that word, especially today), we have to accept these variations.

What I can add is that LSM seems to have avoided the livery issue on the frame of the window in the doors.
The WC window does not appear to be as well rendered. It looks like there is red where it should be black/metal.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 25 January 2021 02:13:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c