Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2021 21:45:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
ESU 50708 light comes with a decoder set at address 3. Worked OK with that but as I have a loco with that address tried to change the light bar to another address. Clearly doing something wrong as it did not change the address and when going back to address three the light does not now work and the CS3 will not read the decoder address. Set up the light bar as a loco which I presume is correct.
Can anybody give me a step by step to change the address on the light.
Many thanks.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2021 23:08:16(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have the 50709, you can only set CVs but not read them unless you solderon the specified 'solder pads' a 100 mA load.
You have managed to change the decoder address definetely. Try setting the loco to the set decoder value and the lights should work.
You can only set it as a loco, so better give it an address you will never use on a loco.

I have an Ecos and when I tried to read the set cv I alway got an error, but rest assured that the new value is written in the specified CV.
At least this is what has happened to me.

HTH
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2021 23:42:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks for that . I have the light back to address 3 same as a loco but still can not change it. Can you give me a step by step way to change. Just realised I am using a CS3 and you have an ECOS so I expect it will be different.

Maybe need somebody with the same light and a CS3.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2021 10:19:42(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I program it on the programming track. Can you do that ?
I go to the CV programming page of the ECOS, you should be balt to do it on the CS3 too
Have you selected the mode of operation, i.e. Motorola or DCC on the CS3 ?
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2021 10:42:38(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Views messages in topic : 1,571
Hi David,

I also got these light strips and a CS3.

Here is what I did to change the address:

1. Put the coach(s) that has the fitted light strip on the programming track
2. Press edit loco button on CS3 menu and then add new loco
3. Choose DCC as protocol for new loco
4. Go to configuration menu
5. In CV list find CV1 and enter the new address. As you written the new number it programmes automatically. You don’t have to press any special buttons for writing to decoder.
6. Close menu - try pressing F1 or F2 and see if light comes in now?

Remember MM and DCC protocols are different. So you can have a DCC address that has same number as a MM. I would first try with a short DCC address to see if that works (below 127).

As already mentioned you cannot read values without first connecting a load as mentioned in the ESU manual. There is also many other cool features you can programme e.g. how the lights switch on etc. Have a look in the manual. And finally the CV list you get in the CS3 is just a default template. You can delete and add new CV you wish to programme.

Hope it works out

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2021 13:17:51(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
HI Lasse. Many thanks for that. IT was however what I was doing and does not work. Your point at number 5 is maybe where it goes wrong. The box for the CV address shows two number threes..one above the other. IF I change the number using the arrows to 32 only the bottom number changes leaving the three on top of the 32. Then when going to edit the light bar it still shows three as the address. When starting again the bar now does not come on even using three as the address. Maybe I should delete the PIko loco which has the address three but of course I may not be able to change that either. The light bar has worked at times so is probably OK. I must be doing something wrong somewhere.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2021 14:19:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
HI Lasse. Many thanks for that. IT was however what I was doing and does not work. Your point at number 5 is maybe where it goes wrong. The box for the CV address shows two number threes..one above the other. IF I change the number using the arrows to 32 only the bottom number changes leaving the three on top of the 32. Then when going to edit the light bar it still shows three as the address. When starting again the bar now does not come on even using three as the address. Maybe I should delete the PIko loco which has the address three but of course I may not be able to change that either. The light bar has worked at times so is probably OK. I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Are you attempting to address it using a long address or a short address? They are two different address spaces in DCC, and it sounds like you are changing one and attempting to access it using the other.

short addresses can be 1 to 127.
long addresses can be 0 to 10,000 (actually slightly more, i can't remember the actual number, but it is something like 10,349).

Different controllers treat the address spaces differently as well. Some controllers treat short addresses as 1-99 (for example Lenz), and treat long addresses as 100-9999, so the two address spaces don't overlap (although the NMRA spec allows the overlap). Some controllers will handle the full address range of both spaces, and require leading zeros to be entered to specify using the short address space for addresses below 128.

I haven't checked up on how the Marklin system handles short and long addresses.

Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2021 21:09:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Deleted the Piko loco but was not able to change its address and spent a while just getting it back to address 3. Both the light bar and the loco have the same address and will work no matter which I control ie Lights works the loco. However with the loco running and the light bar on the loco lights wont work and and the other way round as well.

Clearly I dont appear to know just what I am doing. Why on CV 1 to change the address does the address three appear twice one above the other.
Sorry to be kinda stupid with this but would be grateful for an answer to solve this or the light bar will just need to go in the bin. However if I get another Piko loco probably I would not be able to change its address either.

Im off for a lie down lol
Offline Danlake  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2021 00:46:28(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi David,

The CS3 menu for configuring CV is not very intuitive. It took a long time for me to figure it out.

First off when you add a new loco it may or may not read actual CV value. When e.g. you added a new MfX loco it will load the actual present CV reading when you go into configuration menu. But if you add a non Marklin loco it will many time not load any of the actual CV values.

The way I programme any of my DCC loco (e.g. Roco) is that after added the loco and when going into the configuration menu I will delete all the CV entries from the default template and start from scratch by manually adding the CV entries I want to programme.

Back to your question. The field where you enter the CV values has two lines. One is for actual Value (if it has been read out) and the other is for the target.

Instead of using arrow to change address from 3 to 32 then use the keyboard function instead, by click on blank space just after the number and the keyboard menu should pop up. Then use keyboard function to enter 32 (I.e. don’t use arrows to change CV values).

CS3 used to write every time you click arrow up or down. Believe this was a bug and it may have been fixed in later updates.

If still doesn’t work try another address that is below 127.

For sake of good order - don’t have both your piko loco and the coach on the programming track at the same time. You can only programme one decoder at a time.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2021 10:45:27(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks Lasse. I will have another go as you say. I have worked with Marklin for more years than I can remember but with few problems and used different controllers etc. Only when using items from other manufacturers have I had difficulties. Changing the addresses on old non mfx locos is easy. I also use Viessmann light bars and they are fine so will stay with them from now on.
You have been very helpful and many thanks for taking time with your explanations.

David
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2021 20:25:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Had one last go. No idea. What the keyboard is as nothing appeared. Light bar does not load now with its address 3. Even after deleting the loco.
The ESU light bar will now be executed at dawn tomorrow and no further purchases made. The PIko loco ls fiine and has asked to be present as ESU heads for the bin.

Many thanks to Lasse and a bottle of best Malt Water of life been faxed over.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2021 20:52:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Had one last go. No idea. What the keyboard is as nothing appeared. Light bar does not load now with its address 3. Even after deleting the loco.
The ESU light bar will now be executed at dawn tomorrow and no further purchases made. The PIko loco ls fiine and has asked to be present as ESU heads for the bin.

Before it gets put in a coffin I would want to see some more experimentation.

If you are prepared to mail it to me I would be prepared to give it a try.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2021 23:44:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Before it gets put in a coffin I would want to see some more experimentation.

If you are prepared to mail it to me I would be prepared to give it a try.

Thanks Alan but I never give up so executing the bar was really just a joke. Problem is probably changing the address on anything other than Marklin. It is possible the CS3 could be the cause although I doubt it. I will try to change the address on the PIko loco and see how that goes. May well be I am doing something wrong despite following instructions from Lasse above.
Address can be change under loco settings and also with CVs it appears and the CS3 for me is not helpful with this.

If OK with you I will get back to you after trying to change addresses on other items before sending the ESU bar.
I have a similar Viessmann bar and will see if the CS3 will change the address again on that.

Many thanks and keep safe.

David
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2021 00:05:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks Alan but I never give up so executing the bar was really just a joke. Problem is probably changing the address on anything other than Marklin. It is possible the CS3 could be the cause although I doubt it. I will try to change the address on the PIko loco and see how that goes. May well be I am doing something wrong despite following instructions from Lasse above.
Address can be change under loco settings and also with CVs it appears and the CS3 for me is not helpful with this.

If OK with you I will get back to you after trying to change addresses on other items before sending the ESU bar.
I have a similar Viessmann bar and will see if the CS3 will change the address again on that.

Many thanks and keep safe.

David

yeah, that is fine, I just hate to see potentially good hardware being binned because of a possible incompatability.

I do have an Intellibox as well as a cs2 (or two) to try to beat it into shape.

Offline Danlake  
#15 Posted : 11 January 2021 09:22:38(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi David,

I tried in the weekend to change the address on one of my spare ESU light strips using the CS3 and the programming track.

It worked with no issues. I changed it from default address 3 to 32. I did noticed that once you change the CV value in the configuration menu it does not automatically update the loco address in the main setup menu. So make sure to change the address in the main menu as well before attempting to test the strip (else it won’t work as the “loco” is configured for address 3, but the actual CV value you just programmed is 32).

F2 switches on all the lights and F3 e.g. only switches on a set of lights.

To access the keyboard, rather than using arrows, you simply just click next to the number. This is best done using a mouse click. Once you click a little menu should pop up where you can enter the new value.

Alternatively you could of course have a faulty light strip...

Best Regards
Lasse