Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tracy  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2020 22:03:50(UTC)
Tracy

United States   
I am trying to build a layout with M track and I am missing several pieces. Does Marklin still make M track?
Does C track fit together with M track? I would rather not mix the two tracks on the layout is possible.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2020 22:21:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Tracy Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to build a layout with M track and I am missing several pieces. Does Marklin still make M track?
Does C track fit together with M track? I would rather not mix the two tracks on the layout is possible.

marklin stopped making M track in the early 2000s. It didn't suit CE markiing requirements for child safety. That was why they came out with C track.

It is possible to mix C track and M track. Marklin make an adapter track to go between the two as a 180mm straight track.

However it is possible to pick up a considerable amount of M track on eBay or other trading web sites. I know there is a lot of M track on ebay.co.uk at present, I haven't checked ebay.com recently, but wouldn't be surprised to find more on there as well.

Offline Tracy  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2020 23:51:26(UTC)
Tracy

United States   
Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know if the C track numbers correspond to M track? Also, is there
a catalog to order C track?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tracy
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2020 05:34:58(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tracy Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know if the C track numbers correspond to M track? Also, is there
a catalog to order C track?

There is no correlation between the track numbers, but some of the sections are much the same dimensions.

In C track there are 5 radius curves from R1 to R5. R1 & R2 correspond to the M track 5100 & 5200.

The bottom of the track base measured edge to edge is slightly wider on C-track than M-Track so you may not be able to fit C-track into some existing bridge sections for example, and the catenary (overhead) masts will not clip directly onto C-track, but can still be used with slight modification.

As for a catalogue, you can either obtain a copy of the latest catalogue from a dealer, or download an older one from this site - http://www.lctm.info/Sec...teca/Catalogos/index.php

All the annual catalogues up to 1999 are available. The site is Italian, but most of the downloads are English. You can safely ignore the warning about the scam alert, the site is safe and has been used and posted here many times.

Personally, I'd start with downloading the 1999 catalogue, it's the last one to include M-track but also has C & K so you can get a better overview.

Most people like C-track, it's very easy to work with and very reliable for running. If you are going to buy second hand, be aware there was a production issue in the early years (late 90's) which resulted in some brittle plastic which sometimes breaks when handled. For a permanent layout it's fine but not for a layout changed often.

Mixing the track systems is also fine, modellers who ballast their own M-track often end up with an appearance very close to C-track anyway.

Or as mentioned, there is absolutely buckets of good used M-track on the second-hand market, easily found on eBay, or through groups like this if you post a "wanted to buy" listing the track pieces you need. And even some new-old-stock can still be found,

Hope this helps

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Tracy  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2020 15:09:49(UTC)
Tracy

United States   
You have been very helpful. Thank you for your advice!