Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteveK-O  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2020 15:38:21(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Hello all, first post here.

is it better to use a 6021 controller or MS2 on old M track layouts with lots of turnouts and signals?

I have a layout I created from my very first M track kit and just kept building it. So, would like to keep using it and not convert to other track. I have two older locos with "fx" digital and one new mfx+ loco. Also have a few analog engines, but not the point here.

I purchased a used 6021 Controller+6001 Transformer and a new Digital Starter set 29000 with Mobile Station 2. I have learned here that it is possible to program the new mfx+ engine with a second, third, and fourth address for MM2 control from the 6021. I have not done it yet, but understand the idea. There will never be more than 4 engines on this layout, so using up multiple addresses per engine is not a problem.

In my testing so far on M track, the 6021 controller seems to work better than the MS2. The MS2 did not work at all at first, but I found the loco protocol was set to "mfx,DCC" and had to be changed to "mfx,DCC,MM2" or just "mfx,MM2". The 6021 appears to keep asserting the control signals even when the loco connection to the track is poor. The MS2, on the other hand, keeps moving to STOP when it sees a bad loco to track connection. I also read the 6021 may be operating at a higher voltage so better able to deal with poor connections

I'm thinking of putting the 6001 and 6021 on the old M Track layout and using the MS2 and K track it came with as a test/programing loop. Is that best?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteveK-O
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2020 15:51:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: SteveK-O Go to Quoted Post
I'm thinking of putting the 6001 and 6021 on the old M Track layout and using the MS2 and K track it came with as a test/programing loop. Is that best?
Some folks will tell you that new controllers are better.
The capabilities of the 6021 are limited compared to the MS2, but it is very efficient. I like the 90° throttle and you can quickly switch between different locos.
IMHO your plan to use the 6021 for the layout and the MS2 for the programming track is a good idea. And it only takes 5 minutes to switch to the MS2 if you ever change your mind.

Does the layout still have a capacitor in the feeder track? This would explain why the MS2 switches to STOP quickly. The capacitor must be removed for digital operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline SteveK-O  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2020 16:14:36(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Thanks for the quick reply on this.
I did forget to mention that I DID remove the capacitors on the section of the main layout that I was testing on. The connection problems occurred at the turnouts. If you recall the M track turnouts, they are kind of mechanical wonder/mess.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2020 16:31:01(UTC)
H0

The overload detection of the MS2 is much quicker. This can be a problem with old rolling stock on M track. The overload detection of the 6021 is more forgiving, so this is another reason to stick with the trusty old controller.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2020 16:41:59(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
At points some couplers short out, try to adjust heights of couplers and "pukos", the third dotted rail in the middle of the tracks. It happens all the time with analogue trains on M-track. But there it doesnt matter, it just sparks and adds to the charm.

Regards

Henrik Schütz

Offline SteveK-O  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2020 16:55:32(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: Henrik Schütz Go to Quoted Post
At points some couplers short out, try to adjust heights of couplers and "pukos", the third dotted rail in the middle of the tracks. It happens all the time with analogue trains on M-track. But there it doesn't matter, it just sparks and adds to the charm.

Ah, thanks for that suggestion. I was thinking poor connection so was working to improve with cleaning car, etc. Now I understand that the car couplers could be hitting those very high third rail "pukus" in these old turnouts. It makes more sense that a short would move the MS2 to STOP versus poor connection.

Offline SteveK-O  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2020 05:09:28(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Spent some quality time down with the M track layout, engines and controllers tonight. All track capacitors removed.

6021 Controller and older "fx" engines (60901?): No problem, all good. Some hesitation, but no stops. Like little honey badgers out there. As fault tolerant as my wife (lots of faults over here).

6021 Controller and new mfx+ engine: Many hard stops requiring push in the butt to get going. Defiantly NOT center posts hitting the couplers. Thought it could be pickup shoe hitting rails in turn outs, but it stopped in some straight areas. I think the mfx+ decoder is less fault tolerant. Maybe this could be improved with track cleaning.

Mobile Station 2 and "fx" engines: Kind of ok, some Stop triggers on MS2

Mobile Station 2 and mfx+ engine: Terrible on my M track layout. I would take analog over this mess.

So, will go ahead and wire in the 6021 Controller and 6021 Transformer and remove the isolators between the sections and signals.
I am not sure what do do with my little Bavarian PtL 3/3 (37189) mfx+ loco. Its a perfect companion to the the Bavarian S 3/6 and Gt 2x 4/4. if it does not get better after track cleaning will be idling while I look for another "fx" loco.
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2020 07:26:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
In principal all locos work on any track but its up to us to find out why some locos have difficulties to run on any track faultless, sometimes it takes quite a time to figure out what the cause is and we can speculate for days what may be the cause but if you investigate it thoroughly you will find the culprit., for instance I've got a Roco BLS Re 465 loco and I noticed its swinging from side to side on 1 bogie, took the bogie apart and couldn't find anything wrong with it, than I took the other bogie apart and I noticed the u-shape metal strap which holds the bogie together didn't have 2 raised pinpoints and this allowing the bogie to swing sideways, looked at the spare part list and it shows 1 metal strap is with and the other without., so why did Roco produce one and one without is still a mystery.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline SteveK-O  
#9 Posted : 09 December 2020 14:58:00(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
After i slept on it, thinking of just leaving it analog. I have about 10 functional signals wired in with isolated track and they are kind of a mechanical work of art. One old blue transformer runs the outer track and one runs the inner track and yards. If I can't run new loco on there anyway, I can run the old ones like my trusty 3003.
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#10 Posted : 09 December 2020 22:49:01(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I'm in the process of designing a new, retro-style layout using M track and have often wondered how my digital loks would behave using the various control options out there. I've decided that I'm going to dedicate one, maybe two sections/loops to pure analog and the others to digital and hope for the best. My lok collection is pretty evenly split between digital and analog, and I've no great desire to convert the older ones. (On a slightly different subject, I have a 37803 V200 that jerks upon take off in analog operation, but is smooth as silk when operating digitally using either the 6021 or MS2: the mysteries of Maerklin keep things interesting for sure!)
Offline mvd71  
#11 Posted : 10 December 2020 09:34:43(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
After i slept on it, thinking of just leaving it analog. I have about 10 functional signals wired in with isolated track and they are kind of a mechanical work of art. One old blue transformer runs the outer track and one runs the inner track and yards. If I can't run new loco on there anyway, I can run the old ones like my trusty 3003.

No reason not to run digital, and with the 6021 it will work well. The 6001 transformer will also power all your signals etc off the secondary connection
Offline SteveK-O  
#12 Posted : 10 December 2020 14:45:32(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

No reason not to run digital, and with the 6021 it will work well. The 6001 transformer will also power all your signals etc off the secondary connection

Thanks, I agree and converted it to 6021 and 6001 last night.
6001 is powering all the turnouts and signals just fine.
The 3 fx locos are working great.
The new mfx+ loco is still bad, stops at every other turn out. Will try track cleaning, but not too hopeful on it.

If I could get the mfx+ loco to work, I would try to reprogram it to allow access to F5 and above with the next MM2 addresses I have read about here. But first need to see if I can make it work or get another old fx engine.

Offline Johnvr  
#13 Posted : 11 December 2020 08:33:05(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello Steve

Have you got the instruction on how to program the address number of a mfx loco using the 6021 Controller ?
You will need these instructions to program the address numbers.
And yes, the consecutive address numbering does operate functions F5 - F8.

6021 Programming

Regards
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline SteveK-O  
#14 Posted : 11 December 2020 14:49:36(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Steve

Have you got the instruction on how to program the address number of a mfx loco using the 6021 Controller ?

Yes, thanks I did find that thread. I also downloaded the page that shows the various CV values and what they do. I have not tried it yet.
I do have some questions on it, but will post that on a different thread once I try it.

Wanted to leave this thread on ideas to get mfx+ decoder engines to work well when on M track with the 6021 controller. I did not see anything in the CV values that might help that.
Maybe the engines that work well just have more inertia in the older motors and just carry forward more when they lose connection.

Offline mvd71  
#15 Posted : 12 December 2020 09:02:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
How the loco is performing in this case is not to do with it being mfx.

Things that affect the the performance is cleanliness of track, corrosion on pukos (centre contact), condition of pick up shoe, and how well earthed the loco is through it wheels. Some locos have always performed better than others in any digital operation.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 12 December 2020 11:16:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Or with it being controlled by a 6021......(same issues can happen with a CSx, MSx and any other digital controller you name).

In addition to what Mike suggests, Marklin also sell a buffer capacitor which is meant to provide power to the decoder when a dead spot is encountered. It is possible to also build your own and there are one or two threads on the forum about this.

Capture.JPG
Offline SteveK-O  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2020 20:18:58(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   

Things that affect the the performance is cleanliness of track, corrosion on pukos (centre contact), condition of pick up shoe, and how well earthed the loco is through it wheels. Some locos have always performed better than others in any digital operation.

Yes, I have investigated more and agree that the primary problem with the mfx+ loco is the M track interaction with the loco wheels. I cleaned and cleaned the track and the loco is new. It did not make any difference. Kept looking at the pukos and pickup shoe, but nothing helped. Then I noticed that the loco consistently stopped on turnouts going one direction and had no problem the other direction. Hmm....

Turned out this new PtL 3/3 loco (37189) only has a traction band on one of the rearmost wheels. The other one is not grooved to have a band. The manual shows both rear wheels should have a band. The wheel with a band is a little large so the loco is not quite on all wheels. With the weight to the rear, it has those two wheels down and one front down on the side opposite the traction band. The other front one on the same side of the traction band is not touching well. Normally, this is not a problem, but in the M track turnouts have a section on one side guided by plastic. The other side is on metal, but going one direction the single insulated traction wheel is holding up the front wheels so there is poor contact when that side is on metal. This is why there is no problem going the other direction. I was able to add some weight temporarily to the loco front to put both those wheels down and it had no trouble then for both directions. Now I know what is going on, I can figure out best permanent solution.

I agree the mfx+ is not the primary cause, but an efficient motor that draws little current and a controller that is very quick to stop (low ability to hold up voltage), does not help this.