Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alicia  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2020 21:27:48(UTC)
Alicia

Hello everyone. I'm new here, trying to learn about my Marklin train set. It was my grandfathers and has been carefully boxed up for decades. My father had it set up with a wonderful scenery/layout in the 80's, but he passed away a long time ago now, so the trains are mine and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about them. The directions with them seem to be in German, well and English, so I guess there's just a learning curve for me. There are so many boxes of train cars and track and wires. Here are a few photos. I'm not sure if I should try to put it all together and give it a go, or not. Should I just donate all of this? I know they meant a lot to my grandfather and my father, but not sure if I'm smart and creative enough to do this. . . IMG_2694.jpegIMG_2565 2.jpegIMG_2564 2.jpegIMG_2560 2.jpegIMG_2562 2.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alicia
Offline IanC  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2020 22:26:18(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Well you've come to the right place. I wouldn't rush to donate them. They are not perfect and have some wheel sets missing but they are old / vintage. I wouldn't trust a controller of that vintage so for safety's I'd get a second hand white one. That said, there will be a market for them but you might as well have some fun out of them. There's a lot of free help and advice available on this site and speakers of English in its many forms, and German, French, Dutch, Scandinavian and Finish at least! Looks like us Brits, me and Alan, have got here first. Old tin plate is not my speciality but there will be some folk on this forum that will be experts and know all about it and are willing to share their knowledge and experience. Welcome aboard. Stand-by for a deluge of global responses.

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Alicia  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2020 22:24:18(UTC)
Alicia

Thank you so much for the info and the welcome. I really appreciate your kindness.
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2020 07:56:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Well the fact you managed to post the images proves you're smart enough, there's a few here that still haven't mastered that!

Some more photos would definitely help us assist you in identifying just what you have, what goes with what etc.

Anything loose you find (especially when unwrapping) be sure to keep with what it came from, much easier to do that than trying to match random items later on.

To recreate a functional layout is going to take some time, and a bit of a learning curve, or maybe you like the idea of a small static display (diorama) to honour your Granddad?

You have options, take time to consider them. BigGrin

Welcome by the way
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2020 08:45:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think you're very lucky to have such a collection and I raise my hat your grandfather and father looked after them pretty well., I personally think they are in a very condition considering the age.
I hope you've got time to recreate the layout if there had been anything left of it., it would be shame to sell it or give it away, more pictures would be a Christmas present for all of us.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline David240945  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2020 20:55:48(UTC)
David240945

Originally Posted by: Alicia Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone. I'm new here, trying to learn about my Marklin train set. It was my grandfathers and has been carefully boxed up for decades. My father had it set up with a wonderful scenery/layout in the 80's, but he passed away a long time ago now, so the trains are mine and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about them. The directions with them seem to be in German, well and English, so I guess there's just a learning curve for me. There are so many boxes of train cars and track and wires. Here are a few photos. I'm not sure if I should try to put it all together and give it a go, or not. Should I just donate all of this? I know they meant a lot to my grandfather and my father, but not sure if I'm smart and creative enough to do this. . . IMG_2694.jpegIMG_2565 2.jpegIMG_2564 2.jpegIMG_2560 2.jpegIMG_2562 2.jpeg

The wagons you show are M@rklin 341 342 type 1930s ++ the track the same Ma pre WWII wheels can be bought from Ritter Restaurationen in Nurtingen Germany

D
Offline David240945  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2020 21:02:37(UTC)
David240945

Would be very interested in what else you have especially locos and goods wagons.

Don’t keep stuff in bubble wrap use tissue or acid free paper

D