Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PanzerZug  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2020 18:03:57(UTC)
PanzerZug

United States   
Hello! I have 43185, one of the new summer releases of the 3-axle "rebuild cars". The cars come with LED lights installed and current conducting couplers. My locomotives do not have current conducting couplers like most Marklin locomotives and I do not plan on buying a $450 loco just to get the interior lights on a passenger train to work! To get power to the "rebuild cars" I need to add a passenger car with current conducting couplers and a pickup shoe.....or add a pickup shoe to my 43185 "rebuild car". Looking at Marklin's website I see several pickup shoes, but there is nothing that suggests which pickup shoe would work on any of the 3-axle "rebuild cars" like my 43185. I have written Marklin Germany but have not received a reply. Does anyone know which pickup shoe will work?

Thanks!!
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.55.40 AM copy.jpg
Offline QQQ1970  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2020 20:16:08(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
If rebuild cars have same chassis tooling like Thunderbox cars then you are taking a risk. The chassis cannot properly secure a pickup shoe without potential shorts with ground rail. Therefore Marlin has stopped offering pickup shoe for Thunderbox and I suspect rebuild cars as well. I have my local dealer add a current conducting coupler to my BR 24 to haul the Thunderbox set.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2020 22:47:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
You have 2 solutions (other than finding a rather rare slider):

1. to use normal current conducting couplers (E115737) and connect them by a thin and flexible wire to the lighting element. Additionally you need to make a wheel current pick-up (using a thin bronze or brass wire to the axle). Finally you need to modify the loco to install a current conducting coupler (E115737) and connect it to the slider.
  2. to use 2 pole current conducting couplers and connect them by a thin and flexible wire to the lighting element. Finally you need to modify the loco to install a 2 pole current conducting coupler and connect its 2 poles to the slider and the housing.

An example of a 2 pole current conducting coupler is the REE one (there are others)

Cheers
Jean
Offline QQQ1970  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2020 01:12:14(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Another solution is buy cheap Märklin 4411 box car, add a current conducting coupler, and form a PwG train set.
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2020 14:05:50(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
You have 2 solutions (other than finding a rather rare slider):

[list=1]
  • to use normal current conducting couplers (E115737) and connect them by a thin and flexible wire to the lighting element. Additionally you need to make a wheel current pick-up (using a thin bronze or brass wire to the axle). Finally you need to modify the loco to install a current conducting coupler (E115737) and connect it to the slider.

• Since the 43185 is factory fitted with LED, they would already have wiring for wheel ground, and the wagons already have E115737 couplers. You would only need to wire a pickup shoe to a current conducting coupler, in a locomotive or an extra wagon. Some locomotives are quite easy to modify with a current conducting coupler, and some have a spare aux if you want to control them with a decoder. if you want a decoder controlled light, some kind of relay is recommended. eg like ESU 51963