Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2020 09:04:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks to the tough year that is 2020, this is my only locomotive purchase for 2020.

The loco comes with 19 functions, with 18 of them usable by the eCOS. Function number 15 is for World of Operation, which is not accessible using an eCoS. There are lots of sounds and functions including a cool flashing yellow light.

The motor and decoder are located in the wagon section, which means that the Unimog is pushed in a forward direction or pulled in a reverse direction. Despite how risky that seems, the Unimog does not derail - even on my test turnout from hell. It runs well on the M-track industrial radius curves.

UserPostedImage
The model at the station.

Some thought has been put into the decoder's configuration as it has a scale top speed of 61km/hr, which seems to be a reasonable top speed for such a variant. Like most modern Marklin locos, it runs quietly and smoothly.

Sadly, there are two things that concern me about the long term use of this loco. There is a unique slider on the wagon. While it is unique, it is very good and ensures good contact over m-track turnouts, but I suggest that you need to buy five spares if you want to keep running this loco for many years. (Item 5 on this spare parts list shows the slider - https://www.maerklin.de/...nummer=39940&lang=2)

UserPostedImage
The unique slider.

Only one traction wheel is included, which is a concern as there is a close coupler on the end of the wagon. Unfortunately, I am unable to test the loco with a load on an incline as my current layout is flat..

UserPostedImage
Nice detail on the Unimog - and there is a driver

The other problem is common with other recent loco releases and that is the motor itself - it is not listed on the spare parts list - in fact, I can't even see the motor in the wagon without disassembling the wagon - something I will not do until after the warranty has expired.. Marklin describe the motor as, " ... a compact design, maintenance-free motor".

I really like this model and it will complement the other catenary and general maintenance rolling stock in my fleet.

Value for money: **** (some of this might be the poor $AUD/EURO conversion at the time the local dealer ordered this for me)
Suitability for Children: ** The link between the Unimog and the wagon does not look very child-proof.
Quality: ***** (Nice details and paint is good. The plastic parts, line the wire wheel, look - plasticy?)
Smallest radius tested: R0 on M-track (286mm radius)
Futureproof: ** (Slider and motor are a concern..)
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by xxup