Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2020 00:52:42(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi all,

At first I found one of my locos with I believe an Uhlenbrock decoder and programmed for DCC that would test fine with Lokprogrammer test track but when I placed it on the layout with CS2 it would not respond to any commands (inc. movement and functions such as light etc)
I thought it was a decoder problem.
However I since had the exact same problem with a different loco with loksound 4 decoder using DCC where it would also test fine with lokprogrammer but not respond to any commands.

On the CS2 programming track it would respond with retrieve address command so I know the address is OK and the decoder can actually talk but still not responding to any commands.
I tried deleting and re-adding the loco, also did not change anything. The first time I deleted and re-added the loco it actually crashed the CS2, showing nothing but the @ symbol on a black screen.
I also tried deleting, powering down CS2 and booting up and then adding it back again.

I will also mention I have a large number of other DCC locos that have been on my layout and driven regularly that continue to function without problems.
Also note that the first loco with the Uhlenbrock decoder had previously been used on my layout, it was still in my loco database with correct address - just no longer responding to commands.

This is rather bizarre to say the least and I am not sure where else I can do from here.
I will do some further tests with the loksound 4 loco by disabling DCC and/or motorola and test each protocol again to see if that makes any difference.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by user 07 November 2020 06:09:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 02 November 2020 06:49:34(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
There are postings on the net that some (older) multi-protocol decoders could be "confused" if the address is set within the Märklin protocol range, something I also experienced. I set the address in the main settings window, not the CV setting window. I’ve failed to set address >255 only on one DCC enabled decoder.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2020 23:21:20(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Thanks for the reply - I have had success last night with this issue though (in a way).

For the second loco with the loksound 4 it was actually a loksound 5 I installed which supports MFX. When I realised this I deleted the DCC loco and left it on the programming track for 5 minutes and it registered as MFX and tested OK.
I think it possibly wasn't responding to DCC because MFX is higher in the protocol hierarchy (even though it had not yet registered as MFX).

As for the first loco, as mentioned since I had thought it was decoder related I was already in the process of replacing the decoder.
The decoder was replaced with a lokpilot 4 and it worked just fine with DCC.
Therefore I must consider that my original reason that the decoder was faulty may still be correct or as PeFu suggests it was getting confused.
Since it is no longer installed I can't really test it with the CS2.
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2020 05:31:42(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Same problem again with the 1st locomotive that I replaced the decoder onCursing Lokpilot 4 DCC decoder now.

I had tested it and was working but today I went to drive it and it's not responding!

edit: fixed.

Problem was I had in Rocrail the interface type set to DCC-long by accident instead of DCC.
This lead to all sorts of problems as it would also prevent the CS2 from talking to it at all after Rocrail was used.
I was only able to fix the problem by changing its address and then performing factory reset and restarting CS2 in between.