Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Train train  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2020 12:18:53(UTC)
Train train

South Africa   
I have Bought a Marklin CS3+ and I'm wondering whether I can also be connected with a old CS1? I bought it to connect to a CS2 And Standard CS3 but I have a friend who has a CS1 and I want to run trains with him..

Edited by user 15 October 2020 10:55:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2020 12:47:45(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Train Train
Welcome to the forum
It is a great place to exchange information and expérience

Regarding your question:
I should have known because I have a CS1 (60212) and a CS2 (60215) but I did notWub

So I found this on the Internet
SystemArchitectur.jpg
So apparently you need:
[list]
  • a connect 60121
    I think this goes also for the CS3 (must be the master) or CS3+

the use of a 60212 has restrictions:
    - only 8 fonctions with locos
    - when using the track power, BOTH the center rail AND the rails must be insulated with other systems. A Ski jump is also recommended
    - only powered with a transformer (voltage fluctuations with repercussions on loco speed (even the best MFX ones)
    An alternative would be to buy a CS2 (32 functions on locos
    Cheers
    Jean
  • thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
    Offline clapcott  
    #3 Posted : 15 October 2020 10:28:20(UTC)
    clapcott

New Zealand   
    NO NO NO

The #60121 = product name "connect-60212" never made it to the market

The connection ended up being via the ethernet cable, with no extra hardware needed
    Ideally this would be using an ethernet hub , but you can just use a crossover cable.
    (in this situation , the CS1 needs to power up AFTER the CS2)

And there is NO connection at all on the track level
    i.e. the 60212 can be used for extra throttles , and maybe as a bus to feed accessories (k83s/k84s), but trains should not run from a CS2/CS3 power boundary into a CS1 power boundary no matter what the rail/stud isolation you use

ref:
    https://www.marklin-user...60212-to-a-60214--SOLVED
    Peter
    Offline kiwiAlan  
    #4 Posted : 15 October 2020 15:19:16(UTC)
    kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
    Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

From experiments with having two CS2s, and having one set as master, and one as slave, using the marklin recommended cable into the correct connector on the master unit, you always have to power up the master one first. The system only worked when we did it this way. If the slave one was powered up first the master one found there was another cs2 on the network already operational and came up in slave mode, despite the little tick box saying it was the master device.
    Offline Webmaster  
    #5 Posted : 15 October 2020 19:56:52(UTC)
    Webmaster

As the original question is basically - can a friend bring his CS1 and connect it to my control system?

It can be connected to a CS2 via Ethernet on your home network (needs to be set up in the IP range of your home network), you define the connection in the CS2 - have tried that setup myself.

The interesting thing is - will the CS3 respect/recognize the signals from the CS1 connected to the CS2 that is paired to the CS3 via the can cable?

Has anyone tried that?
    Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
    Offline Bigdaddynz  
    #6 Posted : 15 October 2020 21:06:31(UTC)
    Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
    Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
    Has anyone tried that?

Not yet, but that's my intended setup once I get hold of a CS3 / CS3+.

Currently have a CS2 and two CS1's, so it will be interesting to find out what the CS1's can see. Theoretically the CS1 will only talk to the CS2, so what the CS1 recognises will first depend on what info is passed to the CS2 from the CS3. That may depend on what info is passed to the CS3 from the CS2 when they are first paired together.
    Offline clapcott  
    #7 Posted : 16 October 2020 01:02:14(UTC)
    clapcott

New Zealand   
    Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

From experiments with having two CS2s, ......

The context of the original post was "with a crossover cable" and the fundemental NIC connectivity, not higher level configuration.

The CS1 NIC and driver are old school. When the NIC starts, it opens the port and if there is no one there it shuts down
    If you have a hub/switch the NIC will stay up, but with a crossover, the device at the other end needs to be up.

Once the hardward comms is up, the upper level comms can take place.
    Peter
    Offline clapcott  
    #8 Posted : 16 October 2020 01:07:42(UTC)
    clapcott

New Zealand   

From experiments with having two CS2s, and having one set as master, and one as slave, using the marklin recommended cable into the correct connector on the master unit, you always have to power up the master one first. The system only worked when we did it this way. If the slave one was powered up first the master one found there was another cs2 on the network already operational and came up in slave mode, despite the little tick box saying it was the master device.

From my experience,

If you power up the CS2 (destined to be slave) , temporarily, in master mode and specifically check the slave checkbox and save/restart - it will stay in non-master (slave) mode.

You do get a message (in German) that a master has yet to be found, but it becomes operational once the designated master has completed its startup.
    Peter
    Offline clapcott  
    #9 Posted : 16 October 2020 01:20:31(UTC)
    clapcott

New Zealand   
    Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
    The interesting thing is - will the CS3 respect/recognize the signals from the CS1 connected to the CS2 that is paired to the CS3 via the can cable?

At the fundamental level yes.

As the CS1 needs to be profiled to the CS2, once done
    - any stop/start works immediately between CS1, CS2, CS3

As the CS1 resources (Locos, Magnetic devices) do need to be specifically mapped in the CS2 , and assuming those resources are from the CS3 roster, commands will be reflected.

If you define a new resource (Loco/Mag) in the CS3 - you still have to go through the step of specifically mapping it to the CS1
    This is done from the CS2 that the CS1 itself is "configured" for.
    Peter
    Offline kiwiAlan  
    #10 Posted : 16 October 2020 15:25:04(UTC)
    kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

From my experience,

If you power up the CS2 (destined to be slave) , temporarily, in master mode and specifically check the slave checkbox and save/restart - it will stay in non-master (slave) mode.

You do get a message (in German) that a master has yet to be found, but it becomes operational once the designated master has completed its startup.

Yes, we had done that to the slave unit, but if it was powered on first, and then the master unit was powered on, the master unit would go into slave mode because it saw there was already another unit powered up.

there has been at least one software update since then, so I don't know if this has been identified as a problem that has been fixed or not, haven't had a chance to go back and visit friends again.