Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2020 06:15:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Man I felt like I just finished performing a vascular surgery. Such tiny parts that are so light.

I had purchased and received the Märklin 39213 shunting loco early in 2020 and just got around to putting it on track for some testing and filming. And wouldn’t you know it one of the two TELEX couplers was not working. It would not hold on to the coupled car for more than a few inches. The other ends TELEX worked perfectly.

After looking at it closely , which for me is take digital photos of the couplers and blow them up to see the small details , I spotted what was wrong.

Checking with Märklin USA on shipping it back for warranty works, they informed me that as I’d not purchased it from a US dealer I’d have to send it back to Germany at my expense (vs sending it to Märklin USA and they do the warranty work ). Fair enough.

Given that shipping would cost me $70 and months till I got the loco back I decided to take a closer look and see if I can fix it myself as the issue appeared to be a misaligned part.

In the end the coupler disassembles onto 3 parts, which allowed me to solve my problem after some hours of very careful study and probing gingerly forward. Well after having taken the loco apart to disconnect the TELEX coupler to work on it outside the loco.

A YouTube video will follow but this is the starting state I had where the bad one would not hold onto the coupled car.

605A0CC0-4770-4394-8BC9-9DEF55F92C15.jpeg

Edited by user 14 October 2020 19:45:08(UTC)  | Reason: Typo and autocorrect corrections.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Minok