Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Surge  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2020 01:40:45(UTC)
Surge

United States   
Having invested quite a large sum in a few Marklin (and other brands') locomotives, I want to understand how this community views repairs. What happens when a light burns out, or a sound module, or motor stops working in 5 years? 10 years? Will Marklin assist with these types of repairs, or are we on our own?

I'm planning to use these locomotives very little, so I'd be surprised if anything fails, but you never know.

If you're running these for hours a day, the need to replace an electronic module will certainly arise.

Curious to read everyone's thoughts...
Gauge 1 locomotive collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Surge
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2020 02:22:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Short answer is that you are on your own.. The slightly better answer is that there is usually someone on this forum, who can help in a crisis..

Even little use is not a guarantee of not needed a repair. Nylon/Plastic gears can split or go brittle with age. Motor's suffer from lack of use as much as too much use..

FD's Maxi collection has needed new brushes for the contact wheels. They did not wear out, the plastic housing split, the spring popped out and the brush would no longer contact the wheel reliably. This is from something that only gets out once per year at Christmas and spends 1 month under a tree and is moved about once per week, during that time, for a maximum of one hour..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Surge  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2020 03:28:10(UTC)
Surge

United States   
Right, makes sense. Frequent use is better than once a year, like with any machine.

I assume there are repair people who can fix a locomotive, presumably in Germany?
If your main PCB shorts out and Märklin doesn’t have the part, I hope that SNCF hasn’t become a $5000 paperweight! And it’s not hard to spend much much more...
Gauge 1 locomotive collector
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2020 04:28:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have a 55224 BR194 which would only run for 20 minutes before grinding to a halt and requiring a power off reset for about an hour before it would run again only to do the same thing again.

I sent it back to Marklin at considerable cost (150€), they poked around with it for 3 months then sent it back (they never did say what they did to it). The loco then ran for 40 minutes before doing the same thing. Given sending the loco back to Marklin again would cost another 150€, I decided to spend 250€ and buy one of the new LGB 4amp G1 decoders and installed that instead of the original one which I suspect was overloading and cutting out. Marklin declined to give me an E94 sound project so I had to concoct one based on an H0 sound project for the E94.

I have run the loco on my test track and it seemed much better but this weekend just gone was the first time I've been able to run it under exhibition circumstances. The loco ran fine with no issues.

So, all I got from Marklin was extra postage expense in sending the loco back, and I still got a non-functioning loco at the end of their repair process. I also got no help after taking the decision to install a new decoder myself, and no offer of assistance with costs even though I asked. I got the "you've decided to fix it yourself so we ain't going to help you" spiel, but at least I now have a loco that works!

Does that answer your question?
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline nygma  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2020 21:10:03(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
I don't run my trains much either. So far I had no issues with any of my locos. I have a starter set from 24 years ago with 2 locos and sound. I do the occasional oiling and cleaning the crud from the weeks with acetone soaked ear buds. I also have various second hand locos, some from the 1995-1998 model year. They have also seen light use (no sign of significant wear) and run just fine.

There is one engine which has a partially seized motor. You can see my recent topic on that. I am having trouble sourcing a replacement motor. I sent an email to Marklin support about 1 month ago, and still waiting for the response. I was able to find the spare parts list for the loco, but those old parts are no longer available. I am sure there is an engine in the current line-up which has the same motor, but since Marklin charges 30-40 euros for them, I would rather wait for the official response before buying something that may work.

And this is not the first time I have emailed Marklin support. They usually respond in 1-2 weeks. Even if you have an old engine, they may reuse common parts in current models, so spare parts are available. Other may have different opinion, but I am fairly satisfied so far.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nygma
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2020 20:51:02(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have found that the Maxi line was its own beast in the Marklin scheme of things gauge 1. With some being made by ETS in the Chech Republic and some made in Hungry by Marklin themselves. Some of the later Maxi started to blue the line between the higher end Gauge 1 product and the tinplate Maxi. I love the Maxi line, its shiny and colorful style just sparkles under the Christmas tree and in the garden. Probably why I like UK gauge one as its very colorful, atleast thru the steam era it was. Parts have been a challenge, from replacement wheels to traction tires. For my UP F7 diesels, I swapped non traction tire wheels from the non powered unit and converted the locomotive to onboard battery power. so no more issues with wheel pickups and traction tires splitting from age. I keep loads modest so as not to stress the single axle drive on each truck. The variety of USA style cars was limited anyways, so one cannot make a really long train anyways. Hopefully I can keep my Maxi going for many more years. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger