Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Klarsyn  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2020 17:01:47(UTC)
Klarsyn

Hi Forum.
I have a question. We’re a group running a Märklin H0 modulbased layout, and are wondering. When we have a short circuit from fx. A Car derailing, The CS3 stops power, as it should. If we decide to supply The layout from a number of booster, insted og The CS3, Will The entire system shot Down, or only The sections with The short circuit? Does The booster “tell” The CS3 about The short circuit, and then The CS3 makes a STOP, or Will it only be The booster, making The rest of The boosters/sections run?
The reason for my question is, that it is quit annoyning when everything stops, just because someone are putting a train on The track, and by mistake makes a short circuit.

I appologise for my english. It is, as you might have noticed, not my native language.

Best regards Morten.

Edited by user 17 September 2020 21:25:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline phils2um  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2020 01:30:39(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I can't answer for Märklin HO. I don't know how the "common rail" typical of Märklin HO installations affects operation.

I can answer for two rail systems. (Trix, LGB, etc.) I'm using a CS3 with two boosters to operate my mostly LGB two rail outdoor layout. Each booster region is isolated on both rails. I had a short occur at a turnout a couple of days ago. Only the booster for the region involved shutdown. The other booster continued to operate.

Phil S.
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2020 05:05:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The CS2 puts everything to stop and I don't believe the CS3 behaves any differently.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2020 09:53:49(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Klarsyn Go to Quoted Post
...... When we have a short circuit from fx. A Car derailing, The CS3 stops power, as it should. If we decide to supply The layout from a number of booster, insted og The CS3, Will The entire system shot Down, or only The sections with The short circuit?

My experience is that only the booster shuts down.
Quote:
Does The booster “tell” The CS3 about The short circuit, and then The CS3 makes a STOP, or Will it only be The booster, making The rest of The boosters/sections run?

The booster does inform the CS. But only the booster shuts down.

The CS2 used to offer two options with the message
- X = close the message box and leave the booster shut down
- Y = "I have fixed the booster short" , retry to power up
UserPostedImage

The CS3 only offers the
- (Cancel Window) = close the message box and leave the booster shut down
UserPostedImage

The niggle is that with an "X" , and after you have cleared the short, you generally do need press Stop, then Start to retry - thus annoyingly stopping the whole layout.

However the CS3 does have an "Control" event function, for use with an event , that allows for just the "GO" (without needing the STOP first)
UserPostedImage

You may therefore configure an event and reference it on the layout diagrams or via a button connected as the trigger for the event

P.S. While not being readily useable, you can check the Info for the booster and will see a fixed "0" when the booster has turned off.
UserPostedImage
If you have software monitoring the ether then this detail may be seen in the stream
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott