Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2020 19:37:34(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Has anyone incorporated any of the new Busch pandemic panic buying scenes? There are three centred around toilet paper. The below is a good one;

Busch panic buying

I also quite like the following;

Toilet paper dispute

It is always good to see a little humour in our hobby.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2020 20:08:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone incorporated any of the new Busch pandemic panic buying scenes? There are three centred around toilet paper. The below is a good one;

Busch panic buying

I also quite like the following;

Toilet paper dispute

It is always good to see a little humour in our hobby.

Found them on the Busch web site ...

Guess someone had to come up with some covid related models. BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline ausland  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2020 21:38:42(UTC)
ausland

United States   
We were laughing at the mess in EU and US with folks fighting over TP, bottled water and other sundries. Our city was locked down tight in mid March and our governor that morning went on media and announced draconian price and supply controls and 2 nanoseconds later Militsiya (cops) were in the large and small magazines with computer printouts alongside 'management' and making sure there was no price gouging and nothing held back from shelves.

However, I may obtain both sets just for grins although I'll have to reserve them for shipment later. By the by, is Preiser still floating around or have they been bought out, too?

Ausland
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ausland
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2020 21:46:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ausland Go to Quoted Post
By the by, is Preiser still floating around or have they been bought out, too?

Ausland

Preiser are still around (website, click). They have bought out the (very) small figure company Merten.

[edit] corrected Merten name [/edit]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline ausland  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2020 22:07:13(UTC)
ausland

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ausland Go to Quoted Post
By the by, is Preiser still floating around or have they been bought out, too?Ausland
Preiser are still around (website, click). They have bought out the (very) small figure company Merten.[edit] corrected Merten name [/edit]

Merten never, at least back 'then', had the quality of Preiser. I had the pleasure of meeting Hr. Preiser at Messe many years ago and toured his factory, sticks in my mind it was near or in Rothenburg. Very good man, but our paths of life took different turns and I haven't been to Messe in several decades. Last time I was there was before they built the new Messe complex, the old one was in an interesting plot of land that is seen in many old images from before the war. At that time, Hr. Preiser told me that he was in process of moving the painting of figures to Mauritious or some such, he was having difficulties getting the figures painted. In the 'old days', the local women would come to the plant on Monday morning, get their trays of figures and paints and paint figures during the week. Friday afternoon they would take the completed figures back to plant and get paid piece work for the work they did. Methinks that practice is no longer extant.

Ausland

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ausland
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2020 22:07:31(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
My trains are my escape from the disgusting behavior of humans. I certainly don't want to reproduce such behavior there.

Here in the USA, the whole society is being reduced to two highly polarized factions and I fear all this has us heading headlong into a civil war. A neighbor a few houses down from has the 'joke' that once that war starts, his side will be victorious within an hour since his side has all the experience of owning weapons. The 'joke' bit is that they won't that that hour back. The bit about killing half of the people is a given, and not even part of the joke. Let that sink in.

I understand that covid is pretty much under control in most of the world, but the situation here is getting worse by the day, not better. We can now tell people's attitude to guns, abortion, & racism simply looking to see if a covid mask is in use or not. Wearing a life saving mask is like wearing a yellow star. Stupidity has now been weaponized through covid.

So on this 19th anniversary of 9/11 we are losing the same number of people every day to covid. Every day.

To make thing worse still, schools are now opening, essentially ensuring that any family with children that has managed to stay safe so far, now has a very significant risk of being infected in the near term.

You may be OK in Canada right now, but I hope your country is preparing for a massive influx of refugees from south of your border. We are no longer a democracy in any way or form.

So yes, people fighting over toilet paper is as funny as a figurine wearing a yellow star, or a burning skyscraper.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline ausland  
#7 Posted : 11 September 2020 22:34:43(UTC)
ausland

United States   
I am not in Canada, I am in Sevastopol since 2006. While I don't think this forum is the proper venue to discuss what is going on in your AO, I will state that I am a citizen of USA and a permanent resident of Russia, and I read the news, the real news, several times a day and I am acutely aware of what's going on over there. I have a few close friends in US and I worry of them, very much so, as I worry of US itself.

Ausland
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ausland
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2020 01:18:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Some of the posts here are straying into political commentary and as folks well know discussions on politics was forbidden by Juhan many years ago. So please don't ruin things for everyone by straying off topic. Dale, your last sentence probably crosses the line - I don't think there is any comparison in horrors over comparing the things you are comparing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2020 01:23:20(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
perhaps you missed the bit that 200 thousand people died in this country so far this year. That did not have to die. This is not about party politics.

The last sentence states that the level of funnyness is the same. Both = zero.

If you think that deserves 'funny' depictions on a layout I think you are missing something.

I wont mention it again.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 12 September 2020 03:03:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'm well aware how many people have lost their lives in the US due to Covid-19.

The OP posted about some figurines Busch have released about a farcical situation that needed not happen if people used their common sense. We had similar things happen here. The OP didn't ask anyone to post a rant about politics - note that I said 'politics' as opposed to 'party politics' - but that is what he got despite forum rules. Maybe you should have stopped after your first sentence.

As for me 'thinking', well I wasn't the only one, there were complaints received about your post.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ausland  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2020 06:36:33(UTC)
ausland

United States   
The beauty of Preiser figures was one could make little vignets here and there on the layout or the little dioramas I used to build. I model pre WW1 in general so it was required to have Preiser's Prussian cops standing at the corner and behind one of them was the dog with his leg cocked.
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 12 September 2020 10:00:27(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Any perceived funnyness (or not) apart, the 3 sets depicts REAL SITUATIONS, and are as such valid incorporations into a layout, should somebody wish to do that.
I will argue that it is not much different than modeling DR epoch II (with all it´s stripes and eagles) -Or even burning houses or traffic-accidents. -Which are all very popular thematics on the layouts.

Whereas to try to incorporate humour into these situations; Well, I suppose it is a matter of taste.
Again, I will argue that it is important to be able to laugh at oneself. To see the fun in any situation, -and then the so-called "black humour" (which I happen to be a fan of).
Humour can help people loosen up, and thus see the ABSURD side of a situation, which for all other reasons and purposes might otherwise be a very serious situation or subject. I think it has been done in Hollywood for more than a century now...

So YES, I find the sets fine. Someday they be anecdotal and will remind us of how stupid some acted in this new situation for humanity. (-not so "new", of course, but the first time in history that we actually had sufficient scientific knowledge and capability to combat it, and -somehow- blew it!)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 12 September 2020 10:58:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Sets shows we can rise above serious situations. From me our hobby is fun and takes me to a world which is relaxing and interesting and gives me a laugh when looking at the first post.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by David Dewar