Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline oranda  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2020 21:01:32(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
I'm gradually learning about using events on the CS3 and I've followed this events tutorial:

Although I've no actual signals on my layout, all the sensing using the events works correctly and displays the changing of the signals, as the loco passes from one block to the next.

Is it possible to run two two locos without collision?

Any clues how?
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2020 21:59:17(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I admit that I haven't seen the video, but as "blockstrecken" is mentioned, then; YES. As a rule of thumb, you can run as many trains as there are blocks MINUS 1.
So you need 3 blocks to safely run 2 trains on the same oval, using the events to free the blocks according to the position of the trains. Real old-school, and not really from the "digital age"... Cool
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline oranda  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2020 10:26:27(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
I suppose what I am really asking is about a full digital solution to anti collision using CS3 events only, and without any physical signals.

Am I correct in assuming that the Märklin signals do a lot o extra work, not only visually indicating free/occupied red/green, but also slowing the loco down and stopping it at a certain position, in anticipation on the next block becoming free?

Currently I can run a single loco and the signals on the CS3 screen change as expected.

How can I now implement a events system whereby additional locos are detected and they respond correctly to the signal state?

Offline Tie  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2020 10:57:46(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
I'm gradually learning about using events on the CS3 and I've followed this events tutorial:

Although I've no actual signals on my layout, all the sensing using the events works correctly and displays the changing of the signals, as the loco passes from one block to the next.

Is it possible to run two two locos without collision?

Any clues how?

Hi.
For my layout which is made up of more or less two circles outside each other and two loops to allow for locos to turn around and run in the opposite direction the general use of blocks are impossible. I will end up with two locos standing against each other(opposite directions) because the layout does not have sufficient sidings where the locos can pass each other.
My solution was to define blocks for each part of the layout between turnouts. Including for instance short parts, even the Spots where two turnouts are located towards each other making the figure of an X I define as a block. Of course the train cannot be stationary on such spots(too short) However, my aproach:
I have used a S88 contact to define each of these blocks in CS3.(Contact not connected to the track, but it works as a virtual contact in CS3). I can use it in the event and manually when programming tell it to be occupied or not occupied. (later I have found that it seems possible to define such virtual contacts in CS3 without using an expensive S88 module) But anyway, I used a S88 contact. Prior to starting the events for the trains I created an events that actually only set the blocks where tains are parked to occupied and the remaining blocks to free. I always shut down with the trains parked at the same blocks and same direction.... this only to make sure that predifined conditions expected in events are correct.

OK:
I then wrote an event for one train to travel a route from one siding to another siding several blocks away... say starting block A travelling through block B, C and finally to stop on block D. Prior to sending the train off i told the CS3 the following(in event): Check tat block B is free(meaning events stops until block B is free), next command:set block B occupied, Then check that block C is free, set it to occupied etc. In the end block B, C and D are set to occupied, i.e reserved for my train. Then I in same event sets the required turnouts in correct position for choosen route and set the train running. Sounds and different speeds may be included of course.
My layout also have contact tracks connected to S88 contacts at each end of the blocks long enough for the trains to stop and for visible blocks also in center of those blocks. These I use in varios ways to change speed, sound horns or other. Also in event I set the contact located at entrance point of each block to occupied(prior to train arriving), next command would be wait until same contact becomes free(meaning train has entered the contact track and last car has left the contact track) Then the condition of the S88 contact is free and the event will go to next command where I in event tell previous block to be free. Block will then be allowed for use for other trains. this to be done for all the blocks as train passes thruogh on the route choosen.
I have made such events for four trains. Stopping several times at sidings, but all of the trains finally ending up in the block where they started and pointing in same direction. finally i Created an event where i included the for events for the trains described above. Running this event the four trains move around for about 5 minutes, patiently waiting for the others to release the required blocks for their travel. I made a terrible video of the layout showing the sequence on my layout(still under construction) Both layout and Events are better now and I could provide a better video, However it shows that above work... and please note that the vid shows the entire sequence without clipping.
Above should explain principles, setting the various contacts might require further description. If someone wants further info, ask.
Vid is her:

regards
TIE
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tie
Offline oranda  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2020 20:30:07(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Tie
I really appreciate your detailed description of your layout and the video, and I can see that some of what you've done I should be able to apply to my layout.

I still however, need to get comfortable using the event & macros GUI. I thought at first that, my programming in BASIC and C, and latterly Python and Scratch might have been of some use here, but it certainly doesn't seem like it so far.

In cases like this, the inability to convey the content of the programming on the CS3, other than by screenshots, is a great hinderance in learning and conveying from one user to the next the details of what is being done. As a touch screen controller of a model railroad system it does well, but as a the programming interface to a control system I find it frustrating.

Gripe over.
Offline Tie  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2020 21:35:53(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Seems like You are the expert, not me. However, I assume this is Quite different. I'll try to explain in detail with comments in som Photos and add it later. When You get the hang of it.. its like computers, repeting over and over...
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2020 02:41:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
.... my programming in BASIC and C, and latterly Python and Scratch ....

With this behind you , I suggest you use the network connection and use your PC skills via that path.

Events may be fine for the mundane stuff - e.g. basic set a signal to red as the train passes it. - but I usually these also need conditional logic

As @Tie indicates
- Providing a virtual tracking of block occupancy is a prerequisite
- Over laying this with a tracking of "The Loco" rather than just "Any Loc" brings with it the requirement for operational disciplines to know where trains start. Which also implies an easy means to update the roster as different trains are added or glitches occur.

Peter
Offline Tie  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2020 11:59:52(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
.... my programming in BASIC and C, and latterly Python and Scratch ....

With this behind you , I suggest you use the network connection and use your PC skills via that path.

Events may be fine for the mundane stuff - e.g. basic set a signal to red as the train passes it. - but I usually these also need conditional logic

As @Tie indicates
- Providing a virtual tracking of block occupancy is a prerequisite
- Over laying this with a tracking of "The Loco" rather than just "Any Loc" brings with it the requirement for operational disciplines to know where trains start. Which also implies an easy means to update the roster as different trains are added or glitches occur.

Using a traincontrolling software would of course provide better results.. at least for amateurs without programming skills and also since Marklin does not provide enough info(for those who can understand such info) a skilled programmer possibly could not do much better. For me, quite new to this hobby, having those small victories when I manage usable events in CS3 is quite satisfactory, also something the brain can be occupied with when i sit with a beer in the sun outside my summerhouse(and the Layout and CS3 is back home)...
Also Seeing the big layouts on Youtube made by Marklin professionals running on CS3 it actually shall be possible.. So for me this is part of the fun. When I am tired of painting, layout planning and all else. I must admit that for me the planning and building is most fun. Running the trains afterwards is mostly by events. Both to keep the tracks clean and for eventual guests to se it working.
Offline Danlake  
#9 Posted : 10 September 2020 17:28:54(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hej Tie,

You done some great automation with the CS3. Well done!

The trains also starts and break smoothly.

By the way your scenery looks great and looking forward to follow your layout build, so do make sure to share some photosThumpUp

Best Regards / med venlig hilsen
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Tie  
#10 Posted : 15 September 2020 20:33:18(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Thanks for yor support. I am new to this. However it gives me a lot of fun. Both to program the cs3 and designing the layout and try to make scenery. Nothing compared to what you have created but this is my second year into this. So im happy with it. Learned a lot. Mostly learned on the tutorials from marklinofsweden on youtube. Also I have modelled and 3d printed a station building(copy of the marktschorgast bahnhof in germany.
Will continue with loc workshop etc. Update to see if you look up my name on youtube(video above) and a newer one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NRlFdFF7MQ
Regards
TIE