Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2020 17:33:00(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
My layout is using Märklin C tracks and I run Märklin trains.

I am using the digital system from ESU electronic solutions ulm GmbH & Co for train control. With all of their components which includes the ECoS and the ESU Detector 50094 and ESU Detector Extension on my layout. The detection of trains on the detected tracks works as advertised with the system.

I have come to a technical issue with using the Märklin 74391 Colour Light Block Signal.

I would like to use the Märklin 74391 Colour Light Block Signal which has only two wires. There is a light blue and a dark blue wire that are connected to the signal itself. The LED’s on the signal which are two separate LEDs (Red, Green) are 18 volts DC. With the wires connected I am only able to have one light on and I am not able to have the other light go on but when I change the polarity the lights change from Red to Green. How would I wire this to the ESU Detector Extension and is it possible or do I need a module that will reverse the polarity?

The ESU Extension has 1+, 2+ and a common.

Thanks, Michel
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2020 00:56:50(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
The solution has been found and the issue is finally resolved! What does that mean? I’m saying goodbye to the Märklin 74391 Colour Light Block Signal and “Hello” to my new signals from EVE Model!

I can now report that I have signals working just as the Nederlandse Spoorwegen* prototype on my layout.

Green Aspect; Green: proceed

Yellow Aspect; Yellow: reduce speed to max 40 km/h (the next signal may display a red aspect);

Red Aspect; Red: stop in front of the signal.

Best of all I will have the signals working with the ESU ECoS in conjunction with the ESU Detector and ESU Detector Extension. Which means that if there is no train on the track being detected, the signal is lit “Green”. If there is a train on the track being detected the signal is lit ”Red”. And on three sections of detected track the second track displays a lit “Yellow” signal when there is a train on the third detected track. Confusing yes but it works!

Now this is CoolCool Cool

*All that I have to do now is paint the mast black with equal parts white to have then NS prototypical!

Thank you AliExpress!

8C74066E-A262-417A-9E9A-A49E09CBC3DA.jpeg

Edited by user 10 October 2020 05:05:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2020 15:26:25(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I thought to post some pictures of my painted signals that I will be using on my layout.

These signals were silver in colour when I bought them and now they are black with white bands.

My focus was to paint then like the Dutch Netherlands Spoorwagen signals, and even though I have the WWW on my computer finding pictures of the signals was a bit daunting!

88D86810-C0B0-451E-B586-14CF4DC6DDF0.jpegCB86CACB-657B-4E69-9521-0E36A0118C3A.jpeg

Edited by user 22 September 2020 19:26:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2020 01:35:17(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Time for an update on my progress with the signals. I spent the afternoon installing my signals and can you believe I have only ONE operating! But it’s the start on my signalling journey as the other twenty nine signals are almost done.

I’m optimistic that I’ll have then all working by next week! BigGrin

Here’s a little teaser!

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2020 17:12:42(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Here’s a couple of pictures with the placement of the signals. I have placed the signals right at the middle of the detection section “D”. On my double-track Dutch style railway (Dutch with a hint of other European countries railways too!) the train will be running on the right track in each direction. I still have to option to add bi-directional signals if I want to do so later on but I will need to buy and make up more signals for that so let’s see what happens!

I can already visualize the finished track scenes so when I ballast and age the track with brown oxide spray paint it will look quite realistic! ThumpUp

So with the investment of around $200.00 Canadian, I will have thirty signals working in harmony with my ESU ECoS!

Please note that I’m using Phillips four wire telephone cable to attach them together and it’s super easy as the colours match the LED wires! Price $4.95 for 100 feet!

2425EFED-5D21-4F92-B7D0-94AAD6C4BA53.jpeg5277B6A3-EB1B-4009-83F4-4D2717D4A670.jpeg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Johnvr  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2020 10:42:01(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Which means that if there is no train on the track being detected, the signal is lit “Green”. If there is a train on the track being detected the signal is lit ”Red”. And on three sections of detected track the second track displays a lit “Yellow” signal when there is a train on the third detected track.

Hello Michel

I am following your signal journey with much interest.

Please can you tell me :
How are you doing the train detection on the section of track ?
What mechanism are you connecting to the ECOS detector ?
Are you using something like a trigger on the track, or something like an optocoupler ?

Also, I'd like to know how the ECOS does the "Yellow" as you describe it.
Is there some logic function which you have programmed to determine whether it should be "Yellow" or "Red" ?

RegardsBigGrin
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline French_Fabrice  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2020 14:05:33(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Michel,

Really nice job for the signal preparation. ThumpUp

However, I don't understand the placement of your signals in the video.
The signal just right after the turnout (video #1) is not a the right place, in my opinion.
For example, if a train stops just before this signal, then this train will block the turnout with possible wagons obstructing the turnout, leading to a disaster in a train comes in the other direction on the parallel track !!!

In my opinion, the signal shown in video #1 should be an 'advanced' signal, not a 'main' signal...
For a block to be 'safe' in automation, a train must be stored entirely in the block...

You can look at this page: https://wiki.rocrail.net....php?id=signals-ahead-en describing the logic of signal & blocks (look only at the 1st three diagrams, it explains how a signal behind a block changes when a block in entirely occupied)

Have fun
Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2020 19:36:49(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello John and Fabrice,

Thank you for your interest and I'm glad that you're asking me questions! I am only at the beginning of my journey in understanding how signalling works on the real railroads. As mentioned I am using three aspect LED signals to model the Nederlands Spoorwegen style “signals” on my layout. I am presently learning what is involved and I am using: https://en.wikipedia.org...Dutch_railway_signalling for my understanding of how it actually works.

During this same time I have decided to make and post Youtube video's of what I am trying to create. I hope that this will help you in answering some of your questions.

Concerning the "yellow" aspect LED if I cannot get this to work prototypically, then one of my ideas is to use it to show that the train must slow down as the second block ahead is "occupied" with a train.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2020 15:54:43(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I have more signals wired and working on my layout and I hope you enjoy the fourth video of my progress.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Chris6382chris  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2020 22:46:54(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Nicely done. The videos are great. And it was nice seeing you use the ECOS extender.