Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rustya  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2020 03:30:58(UTC)
rustya

United States   
I am trying to convert this lok to 3 rail power. I have changed the wheel set on the slider end to the Marklin set from the Trix isolated set. No matter how I set this up it won't run. I have added a slider and connected it to the redwire. It is like the decoder board is only for 2 rail. Any help would be great. Do I need to change the decoder also? The motor is a 5-pole, and all turns freely on the drive end of the lok.

Help!
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2020 06:35:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know whether the Trix 152 picked up the + on one bogie and the - on the other or whether there were wheel contacts on both bogies.
to convert the model to AC, you would have to attach a slider and wire it to the + wire. You would then have to join all of the wheel/axle contacts to form the ground (return).
If the model is equipped with a DCC decoder, you can use it with a mobile or central station that works with DCC.
If it has an older Trix digital system, you may have to replace the decoder with one that understands MM (Maerklin-Motorola, DCC or even mfx).

So far, all of my Trix conversions have involved shell swaps with the corresponding Maerklin models, so I have not had to rewire any of them myself.

Regards

Mike C
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2020 06:36:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
Wich loco?
if it is DC loco, there must be contacts on wheels on each side, isolated from chassis. Those contacts must be solder together to the ground of the deco or PCB, just to put a non isolated wheelset will not work.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2020 06:39:49(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Just saw the loco model
Sorry.
The advice is the same, it will not be enough to put non isolated wheelset. You must check where wheel contacts are and connect them to ground.

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2020 06:48:27(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I cannot find a manual for the loco,but it seems to be analogue in origin.
Some pictures of your deco and boguies would be nice.
Also, if it has been digitized with aftermarket products, it may be a DCC only deco, so as Mike says, be sure your comand station supports DCC
Regards
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2020 08:04:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Article written by forum member Mark Mervine on converting a Trix 22148 Re 4/4II to 3 rail running which may be of help.

http://www.ete-ene.org/c...otive-to-3-rail-digital/

Effectively, what you have to do is fit a pickup shoe to the non powered bogie and feed that connection to the red wire / red wire connection point for your loco's decoder, after removing the DC pickups. In recent Trix locos the connection point and wiring for a pickup shoe already exists, it's a matter of removing the DC pickups and clipping a pickup shoe in.

You don't have to connect both sides of the wheel axles together, but doing so does improve the running and functionality with Marklin 3 rail track (think contact tracks!). You will have to find the connections from both sides of the axles to join together to be able to do this. In Mark's conversion, he seems to have left what was the rear power pickup attached to the loco, and taken the black wire that was connected to it, removed that from the join with the red power pickup wire and connected that black wire to the chassis ground.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 30 August 2020 08:26:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Trix 22737 Locomotive specs I picked up off an ebay auction for one.

Article no.: / SKU: LF27-T22737
Manufacturer: / Manufacturer: Trix
Track H0 1:87 DC
Direct current
Epoch V
Company number : 152 902-3
Color : silver yellow
Metal housing
8 pole interface
driven on 2 axes
2 adhesive tires,
Length over buffer 224 cm
5 pole motor
Light change white red with direction change

This probably means as Francisco points out, the loco is DC analog only, so you will most likely need to fit a decoder. Many Trix DC locos have a DC analog engine controller plugged into a 21 pin interface which is the same interface as used for the Marklin mSD3 decoders with 21 pin interface, so you may be able to remove the analog controller and simply plug in a new decoder. Open the loco, take some pictures and post them here and we can go from there.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 30 August 2020 16:17:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
From the factory, this model was sold as a DC analog model with 8 pin decoder socket. Like many other Trix models, you may not be able to simply insert a MM/AC capable or generic DCC decoder, as the pin assignment may not be in conformity with NEM/MOROP standards. Some Trix models were designed to only work with Trix decoders and require rewiring to work with other brands for the functions to work as intended.

I did manage, however, to find the information for the Maerklin equivalent model (39351). As that model was AFAIR a C-Sine model, if the Trix model also had such a drive, it might complicate the conversion.

Ending soon:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...ND-TOP-OVP/363081565094?

Regards

Mike C
Offline rustya  
#9 Posted : 30 August 2020 17:10:34(UTC)
rustya

United States   
Thanks for all of the post. This lok does not have a 8 pin decoder board. The decoder board that was in it had the blue and green wire from the motor connected, ground from the motor connected, and lights from the motor end of the lok all on one end. At the other end was the red wire,( from the truck by way of a switch for over head pans) connected to the decoder board and the light wires,( orange,yellow, and gray) connected to the decoder board. I have removed the original contact strip for the wheels and replaced with a shoe,just a clip in. I feel this lok will require a whole new decoder to run AC. I have the Marklin version and it has the center mount motor and drives both sets of axles. The Trix only drives the one end. Any recommendations on a decoder for this unit? I would like to set it up for DCC at some point. I also want to stay with Marklin decoders. I have the old decoder removed as it appears to be useless in this change over.
Any additional help would be great.
Thanks,
Charlie
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 30 August 2020 17:53:49(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi
A picture would be nice i insist. If indeed it has a sine motor, you may need to work with original PCB to control it, or get another board elsewhete ( www.rail4you.ch you can get one if needed)
As a general advice, keep the wheel contact strips in place and connect O in the board or decoder trough them.
If you are finally rewiring the whole loco, any DCC capable deco should do the work fine, unless your motor is a c-sinus one directly
Regards
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 30 August 2020 21:48:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Trix 22737 Locomotive specs I picked up off an ebay auction for one.

5 pole motor

Probably not a C-Sine motor, then.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 30 August 2020 21:57:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rustya Go to Quoted Post
Any recommendations on a decoder for this unit? I would like to set it up for DCC at some point. I also want to stay with Marklin decoders.

Marklin mLD3 if no sound is required, mSD3 if sound is needed, both support MM / DCC / mFX.

If as we suspect, this loco was originally a DC analog loco, then there was no decoder in it. What you have removed will be some form of electronic control, but NOT a decoder as per the normal terminology associated with the term 'decoder'.
Offline rustya  
#13 Posted : 31 August 2020 00:44:11(UTC)
rustya

United States   
The motor is a standard 5 pole armature, new style motor cover and magnet. Went ahead for now and put a 60760 decoder in it just to get it running. Only problem is you can't hook the lights up so you get headlights and tail lights on the other end. Lok runs good both on track and catenary. Will be ordering a new decoder in the next couple of days. This one has been fun,( not!).
Thanks for the help.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rustya
Offline Dave Banks  
#14 Posted : 31 August 2020 03:41:36(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Sorry Guys typo error.
D.A.Banks
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 31 August 2020 03:48:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rustya Go to Quoted Post
I have the Marklin version and it has the center mount motor and drives both sets of axles. The Trix only drives the one end.

The Maerklin model of the Rhenus 152 had one bogie powered with a C-Sine motor.

Maerklin Exploded
39351 Exploded.pdf (601kb) downloaded 37 time(s).

Here are the instructions from a Trix 152 from around 2006:
https://static.maerklin....5215c9c2d01434535903.pdf

This part is key: This locomotive is equipped with an Trix interface connection for digital operation and can be retrofitted with the 66837 Trix locomotive decoder.

Trix Exploded
Trix BR 152.pdf (329kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

You said that you also had the AC model. It was unclear whether you had the same locomotive (Rhenus Dispolok) or whether you meant a different BR 152 model. The first BR 152 models were Delta/Digital with classic Maerklin motor. then came the C-Sine model, which included the Rhenus Dispolok and the CLAAS variants and finally the latest models with centre mounted can motor and all axles powered by cardan drive.

The Trix Rhenus Dispolok should still have the classic Maerklin type motor with PC Board with 8 Pin Decoder Socket (Interface Socket) as described above.
If it does not have this, it is likely that the chassis comes from an older model.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 31 August 2020 17:31:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified